from an old school metal

leddbelly said:
listen guys--i have some knowledge of metal,since i have been there from the beginning to the present--opeth are among the best technical musicians i have heard in my many years--who can scream the most evil vocals and be melodic in the next second--how many bands can pull off 10-15 minute songs and not get boring--i have seen opeth live 4 times each time was special--at one time they opened for nevermore many years ago and most recently at ziggys nevermore opened for opeth--and let me tell you nevermore are a very talented metal band with the great jeff loomis--as for the new metalcore in the USA mike, it is about fucking time we have our own bands to listen to instead of the finn and swedes all the time.mike was right on a few things ,years ago the only good metal came from the other side for quite a while --i compare it to the english band revolution of the seventies--now i like some killswitch stuff but some of there stuff is totally unlistenable,go see if you can sit through a whole album!!-- but on the other hand we have slayer --gwar--clutch--shadows fall--LAMB OF GOD--trivium--bls--devildriver--mastodon--disturbed--iced earth--madball--mudvayne--slipknot--otep--down--celtic frost--carcass--and more i left out--each with some intersting characters in each band like dez,oderus,zakk,randy blythe--and i have seen most of these bands and killswitch is pretty much at the bottom--but i dont see boys bands here mike--and mike USA metalcore is just really beginning so give us 15 years and we will see what WE have--AND MIKE ,DONT GIVE INTERVIEWS AFTER DRINKING--people are good at sticking their foot in there mouth when buzzed--so in summary i think the usa is going through a new music revolution and give it some time to see what happens,these are some young talent bound to get better--Mike your band is great even though it took six albums to finally connect with the USA crowd and dont forget raleigh on your next tour,just try not to play drunk to a sellout crowd--thanks for listening,hope you will here me,fans can turn on you pretty quickly-------
I.... love.... you. Welcome to the forum. ;)
I can sit through the End of Heartache, plus Alive or just Breathing, which is more than I can say for most of Opeths albums.... yeah they seem exciting and fun at first but the songs are so damn long and repetitive, and now with GR they're more commercial and planned out.... just can't listen to the whole thing at once.

Pethical said:
american bands?

try

Rainwound
Satanic Dirge

those two alone are enough to keep american metal strong

Fixed. --^

Opethian666 said:
Haha I'm never making a thread like that again on this forum. It's like you guys are waiting to totally destroy threads like that . The only positive side of it was that it died off fast enough so that Mikael himself never noticed it to pwn me for even suggesting something like that.

Follow me, my son, to the dark side of the force. You haven't lived until you've been "pwned" by Mikael. I got pwned by a 35 year old guitarist from new jersey who played amazing riffs and had wicked long hair (and happened to live in his mom's basement), but it just wasn't the same. Actually it wasn't too different but you know what I mean, mike's pwns are "special" because he is a popular death metal guy in the underground.

You listed a lot of shitty bands while leaving out Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, Cannibal Corpse, Death, Fear Factory, Pantera, Nile, Morbid Angel, and probably a lot of others I'm forgetting right now.

leddbelly said:
but on the other hand we have slayer --gwar--clutch--shadows fall--LAMB OF GOD--trivium--bls--devildriver--mastodon--disturbed--iced earth--madball--mudvayne--slipknot--otep--down--celtic frost--carcass
there are only three bands here that are really worth of mention - slayer, celtic frost and carcass (i will not object too much if you put in old iced earth). and two of them are not even american. one expects better examples of great american metal bands in this context ("pointing out" to mike that there are actually good metal bands in the us). mike's general complaints in the earlier thread apply directly to bands like disturbed, shadows fall etc. mike was never complaining about slayer, old metallica, death or morbid angel etc. anyway.

Oinkness said:
I can sit through the End of Heartache, plus Alive or just Breathing, which is more than I can say for most of Opeths albums.... yeah they seem exciting and fun at first but the songs are so damn long and repetitive, and now with GR they're more commercial and planned out.... just can't listen to the whole thing at once.

Yea, I hate how they added more prog influences and mellotron to sound more commercial on GR.:rolleyes: :Smug:

Oinkness said:
What? Being "planned out" makes them "commercial?"

You really shouldn't post.

Hlfreak said:
Yea, I hate how they added more prog influences and mellotron to sound more commercial on GR.:rolleyes: :Smug:
Thats just wrong.

First of all prog aint exactly that big of a genre to begin with, not here anyway. And most prog fans would probably get turned of as soon as Mikes death vocals kick in or a heavy riff.

Second: Don't you think it's kinda natural because the band -especially Mike- are such big prog fans to begin with?

I definetly don't think they did it to sound ''more commercial''. And aint it about time they changed their sound a little anyway?

Oinkness said:

american bands?

try

Rainwound
Satanic Dirge

those two alone are enough to keep american metal strong

Fixed. --^

Can you tone down the arrogance a bit? I've listened to your solo projects and... both are shit. :)

You claim that you have a "black metal" project, yet...
437030585_l.jpg

:lol:
Sorry, I just find this hilarious.

JoeVice said:
no, he said planned out and commercial. you can be hungry and funny...but being one doesn't make the other one. you shouldn't post.
It was the implication. Besides which, calling Opeth songs "planned out" as an insult makes no sense at all and calling GR "commercial" is also stupid.

opeth8 said:
I'd also say that bands like GWAR, Slipknot, Mudvayne & Clutch haven't set out to become pioneers of the metal industry. They all have an element of humour & most of all entertainment/shock value. Not every band sets out to produce ground-breaking material. Some bands are just happy with being popular, successful & entertaining.

considering corey taylor thinks that slipknot is one of the best metal bands around, ever?

and have you seen the amount of goddamn merchandise that slipknot endorses?

i can respect that comment when applied to the others mentioned...but it doesnt really apply to slipknot IMO.

Thats just wrong.

First of all prog aint exactly that big of a genre to begin with, not here anyway. And most prog fans would probably get turned of as soon as Mikes death vocals kick in or a heavy riff.

Second: Don't you think it's kinda natural because the band -especially Mike- are such big prog fans to begin with?

I definetly don't think they did it to sound ''more commercial''. And aint it about time they changed their sound a little anyway?

what he said was sarcasm.

leddbelly said:
listen guys--i have some knowledge of metal,since i have been there from the beginning to the present--opeth are among the best technical musicians i have heard in my many years--who can scream the most evil vocals and be melodic in the next second--how many bands can pull off 10-15 minute songs and not get boring--i have seen opeth live 4 times each time was special--at one time they opened for nevermore many years ago and most recently at ziggys nevermore opened for opeth--and let me tell you nevermore are a very talented metal band with the great jeff loomis--as for the new metalcore in the USA mike, it is about fucking time we have our own bands to listen to instead of the finn and swedes all the time.mike was right on a few things ,years ago the only good metal came from the other side for quite a while --i compare it to the english band revolution of the seventies--now i like some killswitch stuff but some of there stuff is totally unlistenable,go see if you can sit through a whole album!!-- but on the other hand we have slayer --gwar--clutch--shadows fall--LAMB OF GOD--trivium--bls--devildriver--mastodon--disturbed--iced earth--madball--mudvayne--slipknot--otep--down--celtic frost--carcass--and more i left out--each with some intersting characters in each band like dez,oderus,zakk,randy blythe--and i have seen most of these bands and killswitch is pretty much at the bottom--but i dont see boys bands here mike--and mike USA metalcore is just really beginning so give us 15 years and we will see what WE have--AND MIKE ,DONT GIVE INTERVIEWS AFTER DRINKING--people are good at sticking their foot in there mouth when buzzed--so in summary i think the usa is going through a new music revolution and give it some time to see what happens,these are some young talent bound to get better--Mike your band is great even though it took six albums to finally connect with the USA crowd and dont forget raleigh on your next tour,just try not to play drunk to a sellout crowd--thanks for listening,hope you will here me,fans can turn on you pretty quickly-------
hate to burst your bubble a bit, but celtic frost are not americans, they're swiss. and otep is just god awful.

Larsson said:
Ahh, yhea ofcourse. Guess I was just to uppset about Oinkness stupidity. Sorry Hlfreak!

I'll just redirect my posr directly to Oinkness then.

Not a problem Larsson. Oinkness is just another example of a person trying to act like an idiot because its the internet.

Hlfreak said:
Not a problem Larsson. Oinkness is just another example of a person trying to act like an idiot because its the internet.
I'd have no problem kicking your ass if you didn't have your location hidden. ^_^

Opeth, more planned out and commercial - one in the same. If you deny the fact that Ghost Reveries is more commercial than earlier Opeth albums (except Damnation) then you are, indeed, a deluded moron.

If you deny the fact that Opeth rehearsed several times before recording GR in order to plan the songs, then you are also a moron.

Lietuvis said:
Can you tone down the arrogance a bit? I've listened to your solo projects and... both are shit. :)

You claim that you have a "black metal" project, yet...
437030585_l.jpg

:lol:
Sorry, I just find this hilarious.
That's your sad opinion.

Your mocking of my picture is just more evidence of your musical stupidity. Sure, I could wear all the corpse-paint and act grim and frostbitten, but that would be repeating what others have done and that's not something I do. I'm just a normal guy, not Rifslifskinrar, who acts all evil and lives in his mom's basement. Plus stereotypes are gay. Thanks for posting a pic of me yet again on this forum, it's good to know everyone finds me so overwhelmingly sexy and sexually attractive, even the guys. ^_^