Full stems of a progressive metal song

Really nice to see my old thread pop up again :) Great if you guys have found these stems useful. Thanks for all of the contributions!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/371262/cobhc-NerveEndMix-ExtraStems.mp3

Here's my mix of the drums, guitars and bass. Drums are Superior 2.0, guitars are my XXX and the bass was processed with plugins. I just added the stems for the rest really, didn't mix the vocals or whatnot at all. What do you guys think? I played with the drum arrangement a little as well.

Nice to hear the guitars reamped with a real amp! Everything sounds fine. Maybe a bit too much delay on the vocals for my taste, but other than that, very good job!

Yeah, sounds better withouth the huge delay. All the delay and reverb I used is actually printed on the stem tracks. By the way, I hear somekind of muffled noise in the background in some places. Really hard to say what's causing it, sounds like a quiet reverb / delay with really slow release.

Thanks man, it was a pleasure to work with all this. The only thing I dislike is the riff that starts at bar 30 (~0:54), sounds really out of place and too dry, but otherwise a great track, reminds me of Devin Townsend a lot. I'd love to have raw wav's for everything for one of your songs, would be great fun!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/371262/cobhc-NerveEndMix-ExtraStems4.mp3

Are the vocals better on this?

Sounds cool! but i think the guitars sound a bit dark in tone. Maybe with a little push on 5k they could sound with more power :3

Well I'm not the best guy to give opinions, since I'm so attached to the original. I've listened to the song probably 10 000 times while writing, performing, mixing and rehearsing it. So everything else but the original is bound to sound a bit weird, even if it's better =D All I can say is that your mix sounds well balanced. I would have mixed the doubled guitar parts a bit lower, at least on the places where there's only rhythm guitar. The guitars sound a bit stuffy and phased if the doubled track is too loud, partly due to my imperfect performance ofc :D The drums are a bit too dry for my taste. I'd try to compress the room and oh tracks and maybe using sample replacement on snare and kick, but leaving the bleed on on other tracks. I think it helps when you are trying to hide the midi drum feel. Thanks for the effort, man!

Hey man! I'm working on this mix with full please at the moment. I have only one small problem. :loco:

The lead guitars seem to have some subtle reverb/delay on the stems. This isn't that much of a problem UNTIL I hook an amp up and add some compression. It becomes messy and not nice because of the compression :p

Any chance you got 'dry' lead stems? :worship:
Edit - example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8394538/messylead.mp3

Thanks man, it was a pleasure to work with all this. The only thing I dislike is the riff that starts at bar 30 (~0:54), sounds really out of place and too dry, but otherwise a great track, reminds me of Devin Townsend a lot. I'd love to have raw wav's for everything for one of your songs, would be great fun!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/371262/cobhc-NerveEndMix-ExtraStems4.mp3

Are the vocals better on this?

Raw wavs ... that would be a big challenge! There must be some dozen tracks for each song, if you watch the Amnesia-mixing video.

Btw, Ronixis: You were using Blockfish on the snare-track, but with no compression. Just for sound-colouring?

Nice mixes!

Bahadır, I'd appreciate if you'd rename the track on your SoundCloud so it states that it's a remix, to avoid any confusions what's the original song etc. Thanks!

Ronixis, of course man. I fixed it. Today my friend sent me a message on Facebook and said what a great band that is. I hope your music become famous like The Faceless or Protest the Hero.

my shitty mix! Had a LOT of problems with it, and ended using a bad drum's preset to make everything audible and a bad sounding crash is really messing with the all mix :yell::bah:

used the DIs + midi only, removed the solo and the synth (do prefer more without it).

Last edited by a moderator: