future of metal concerts

iron_maiden

metal maniac
Dec 10, 2004
the black lodge
in the aftermath of this horrible tragedy 1 thought struck my mind

will this have an impact on future metal concerts and if so how ?.

will this have an impact on concerts in general by any artist ?.

will we see a ban on stagediving at concerts ?.

i've been to over 20 concerts here ( victoria , australia ) and have only been bodysearched once at festival hall ( either megadeth or pantera or iron maiden , cant remember as my memory is shot to hell lol )

would like to hear everyones thoughts on this issue as i hope to hell we dont suffer ( the metal community ) as i beleive from my experience we are one of the strongest communitys out there .

I think it will affect the U.S. more so than overseas. Americans tend to over react. That's just my opinion though. Charlie even said the Vibe won't be the same at shows.

Hard to say really. We'll probably see more metal detectors and stuff like that. Even though that wouldn't have helped save Dime it's still a good idea. I also don't think security will overlook anybody that gets up on stage and will severly crack down on that kind of stuff. Like Carlie said it's not gonna be the same vibe at shows for a while but I think things will get back to normal in time.

Horrible tragedy indeed.
But, there have been crimes and tragedies in concerts all the time. :erk: and another horrid act like this for sure will increase bad-image of metal fans.

I don´t think it would affect so much the future of metal-rock concerts, maybe it would help to improve security in those concert. I hope so, to not happen again such a thing.

Here in Vienna, Austria, we're searched nearly at every metal gig (weapons, cameras, pyro....), and that's ok.
But I'm afraid that some people might overreact and use the situation to nerve us metalheads.
No more stagediving? Well, that'll happen the next months, but in summer every security wont think about it anymore.

My problem is: How do musicians feel now? Remember the small video when Anthrax played in Asia and the guy went on stage and shouted the anthrax song? They'd no problem with it, but in future, such situations will remember them of dime. Even the most tolerant musician would like to remove that guy. And to be honest: When I pay 25 or more Euros, Dollars, whatever, I want to see the BAND and not some drunken idiots singing. :)
Lemmy allways reacts cool. He warns the crowd: "STOP throwing beer, or we leave!" And that's ok. Musicians don't get payed for beeing a target.
If someone is dangerous, just stop the show. That's the way it should be. You see someone throwing something or attacking a musician? Kick his ass!

I believe Tourmanagers will influence it most. I asked my local musichallmanager if I could bring my camera on 31.12. (Pain, Theater of Tragedy, Tiamat, Sirenia) and they told me:"The Tourmanager is a strict guy. Usually he tells our security to let NOTHING in, even it's new years eve. There are Managers who are cool and some are not."

And, if you are unlucky, you have an uncool tourmanager AND an aggressive security (Metal-Haters are worst). THAT mix really sux.

But think, they allways did things (in my hometown) to disturb us, but it didn't work:
They tried to forbid smoking at metal gigs. It didn't work. (Nobody would shout and say:"Lemmy rulez, but please STUB IT OUT" LOL
They tried to play metal gigs with seats! (Metalica in the 90ies) NOBODY was sitting. They stopped guys with spike stuts and told them: "Give us your weapon". Black Metal nearly died out :) They never tried to forbid beer, cause NOBODY would watch the show anymore :)

I'll tell you on january 1st IF the scene here has changed.
But I think (and hope) not.

The majority of shows I go to has at least a basic patdown and/or metal detector of some sort, usually handheld. Some shows are more aggressive than others about this and there have been times where I have walked in with no real security check at all. I think it is all dependent on the venue and the band. If it is a big venue with no general admission area, they usually seem to have fewer concerns. Probably since the crowd does not have the access to the stage and the seats limit what can be done in the crowd.

Scott

Well, as a musician I've never had that fear before that someone would shoot me while on stage. A guy I know in another band actually had extra insurance put on his policy in case something were to happen to him in light of recent events. I actually laughed when I heard that. But in honesty, both his band and my band play in small little shit bars. But now if I were playing a good size gig and someone I didn't know was trying to jump on stage, I'd be a little nervous. I honestly don't think that it's possible to make every gig a nice secure club. I think that the events that took place at the Damage Plan show is the exception rather than the rule. All we can do is to wait and see how the bands and the venues and tour managers react.