Fyi

PrinnyD00d

Everyone's Bitch
Feb 8, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Visit site
Just in case you guys didn't know what an Opeth/Korn fan was...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by NovemberFrost

So...what exactly is an Opeth/Korn fan? Do such people exist??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, judging by your NP and your nationality, you're one of them. It's a person who likes music like Opeth and Korn. They do not like Dream Theater, and they're White. They also like to say things like "WoOWo00W, PINk FlOYD is AwESoME WheEn yeR oN LSdD y00= phATneSS" and they enjoyed Scary Movie 2. And 1.

So now you know, and knowing, of course, is half the battle.

You're stupid. I love Opeth and Korn, I don't type like that, Scary movie 1 and 2 were both pointless, and I enjoy Dream Theater.

So, why do you stereotype like that? :rolleyes:

Hes saying that in most cases when you see someone that says they like Korn and Opeth that they are little wanna be goth person who has heard one song off of Blackwater Park. At least thats what I think he is saying.... (answering your question, not directing this at you Jayde)

i just dont see how an opeth fan could like korn. i heard korns new album. BIGGEST PILE OF JUNK EVER. and i thought their old shit was bad. this one is so downtuned you cant hear them. there is like 2 notes in the song. no creativity whatsoever. i just dont understand how someone can listen to something as great as opeth, and then lower your standards to korn.

well... it isn't about lowering your standards, it is about diveristy. You won't find the same things in Korn as you will find in opeth. If you expect progressive emotional music then you will be VERY dissapointed in Korn. I am not the BIGGEST korn fan, but they do some different stuff that i find interesting. Call me stupid if ya like, i find merit in all music, it just depends what you go into the music looking for a lot of times.

Originally posted by SentencedToBurn
i just dont see how an opeth fan could like korn. i heard korns new album. BIGGEST PILE OF JUNK EVER. and i thought their old shit was bad. this one is so downtuned you cant hear them. there is like 2 notes in the song. no creativity whatsoever. i just dont understand how someone can listen to something as great as opeth, and then lower your standards to korn.
Luckily you dont need to understand. Jayde (and others) do like some underground bands and some nu-metal, and thats all there is to it. If she suddenly stopped liking Korn jsut because all you people keep saying how crap nu-metal is... well thats where id start thinking she had problems. But instead she keeps listening to the bands she likes regardless of other peoples opinions, and for that she deserves credit. There is so much to get from so many different types of music, what point is there in attacking someone because they enjoy something different about music?

Music doesnt have to be technical to like it. It doesnt have to be original to like it. etc etc.

If you wanna argue about how Opeth can play guitar/drums/bass/etc better... or how Opeth's songs are more progressive, or whatever then fine. But dont start arguing about somebody's taste in music because thats stupid, people will like what they like and its as simple as that. And since Korn and Opeth are obviously aiming at and achieving such different things in the music world its even crazier to assume you can only like 1 or the other.

Trapped, i hafta say your avatar gets better and better every day... Also i like make me bad by korn and all static-x i have ever heard and chop suey off of toxicity kicks ping pong balls up your asses and i still think morningrise is opeths best album as of yet.
So you can suck me off if you dont agree.
Stinky

Yes.
Their new album is bad.
From a musicians point of view, it is bad.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Luckily you dont need to understand. Jayde (and others) do like some underground bands and some nu-metal, and thats all there is to it. If she suddenly stopped liking Korn jsut because all you people keep saying how crap nu-metal is... well thats where id start thinking she had problems. But instead she keeps listening to the bands she likes regardless of other peoples opinions, and for that she deserves credit. There is so much to get from so many different types of music, what point is there in attacking someone because they enjoy something different about music?

Music doesnt have to be technical to like it. It doesnt have to be original to like it. etc etc.

If you wanna argue about how Opeth can play guitar/drums/bass/etc better... or how Opeth's songs are more progressive, or whatever then fine. But dont start arguing about somebody's taste in music because thats stupid, people will like what they like and its as simple as that. And since Korn and Opeth are obviously aiming at and achieving such different things in the music world its even crazier to assume you can only like 1 or the other.

You know, i agree but i found it funny how you mention " can play ..." refering to technical ability. Opeth aint no technical band the greatness is on the songwriting, something much harder to both do and appreciate, something that lives you wondering how is it that someone appreciates opeth songwriting abilities and also likes a band with no songwriting abilities like korn, it leaves me thinking people likes korn/limp dickshit/soa/deftones etc just because its catchy.

I've heard Korn on the radio, but never bought anything myself. "...how is it that someone appreciates opeth songwriting abilities and also likes a band with no songwriting abilities like korn."

Now after my first period of solid Opeth absorbsion
Tongue_anim.gif
I became very choosy about what I wanted to hear. I bought Digimortal, from Fear Factory and after finally fishing my eyes out of my head :rolleyes: because of the lyrics, I thought...I liked it before?...just like I like Coal Chamber and...well, I still like Coal Chamber from time to time. :D but, then I thought that's what FF has always have been doing. I just didn't notice it before. Actually...it’s more like my standards have changed.

I can't tell if some of you sound elitist, or have just closed some doors to music listening.

Or, it almost sounds like you're afraid to admit some of your listening habits just to be with the "in" Opeth crowd. Too many strong words of hate, etc used.

Opeth IS my favorite band, and I like Nevermore, The Tea Party, and others. And yes, I like Korn, and thought their concert was one of the best. And I like the new song "Here To Stay" also.

You've heard this a million times, but music listening is all about individual taste. Just because I may like songs by Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, Disturbed, etc., and say I like those bands, what, does that put me on a level below those who like Opeth but hate those bands? I think not - and actually, quite the contrary. I'm not afraid to admit what I like, and won't waste time trying to convince others that their musical tastes suck, because they don't, they're just different than mine.

Some of you should get over this bashing attitude. It makes you sound like you are trying to be better or something. Then others feel they have to defend themselves, and it becomes threads of useless argueing.

So in the same breath, I like Opeth and Korn, and could care less if you THINK you're looking down on me, because it is I who have the open mind, and the ability to let others enjoy their opinions.

...man, I must have a hair up my ass today :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Misanthrope
You know, i agree but i found it funny how you mention " can play ..." refering to technical ability. Opeth aint no technical band the greatness is on the songwriting, something much harder to both do and appreciate, something that lives you wondering how is it that someone appreciates opeth songwriting abilities and also likes a band with no songwriting abilities like korn, it leaves me thinking people likes korn/limp dickshit/soa/deftones etc just because its catchy.
Opeth sure arent gods at their instruments agreed, but they are better than Korn at playing... and some people seem to think that that alone is more important than whether you actually enjoy listening to the song for any reason.

And yes some people would listen to Korn because its catchy. Are you implying there is a problem with that? Theres a large portion of metal called "Swedish Melodic Death" that has similar elements which attract a lot of people to that music.. of course the songs are more complex and playing is more complex, but the sound is still 'catchy' for many, relying on hooks to capture their listener..

Well, I read this post and would like to state my own personal opinions.
Like some of the others have mentioned, I myself find it quite difficult to understand how someone can say they like a band such as Opeth, and Korn at the same time. I mean on the one hand you have a band that is committed to writing music, not soley for the fans, but more so for themselves. And the fact that they have such a big fan base(from Opeths point of view I would imagine) would just be one of the glorious perks that come with the territory of being in a band of such a high standard and musical integrity. Mikael and the rest of Opeth have stayed stead fast in their vision of what they want the band to represent, and what they want it to acheive from day one, and this I truly respect them for because we all Know they could be one of the biggest bands in the world if the decided to drop the "DEATH" vocals, and concentrate on the melodic stuff, with some riffing to complement. But the fact is they haven't, they have continued to write how they want to write, and continually strive to acheieve what they want to acheive, and as I stated earlier I respect them all so much for that, and thank them too. Opeth just wouldn't be the same without the mellow to heavy to mellow contrasts that they are so famous for, taking the listener on a miriad of virtual mindscapes with such emotionally charged songs.
Then we Have Korn, who when they started, started out reasonably heavy. Striving to come accross as agressive and with some degree of hostility about them. With each album, they have slowly but surely hitched a ride on the coporate band wagon, destined for the mainstream money making machine. Their ideals and vision has constantly changed along the way, no doubt to attract a bigger market, and I mean, if you are in a position like they are, too reach as many people as they can, and make as much money as they can, I can understand why they would do that. But is saddens me at the same time because they obviousley place more value on making money, and belonging to certain trends, rather than actually picking a path or an idea to follow, and progressing and developing themselves as artists, musicians, songwriters as they go along.
Now, understand that this is not an "Anti change" argument by any stretch of the imagination, and please don't think it is. There are literally hundreds of my favourite bands who have either with subtelty, or extremity, changed style and direction from where they originally started out. But I think you will find in most cases still maintain some of their original vision in their new found style, and should just be seen as it being the medium that they are choosing to express said medium now. I can think of plenty of bands who have done this over the last 5 years, and can also think when their new albums have come out, and friends of mine bagging them out because they have changed, or aren't doing something the same as they were once famous for. Take for instance "Prometheus the discipline of fire and demise", The Magnum Opus from the Late and very great Emperor(r.i.p). I have a friend who bagged it, and his reason was because "they have a fucking drum warrior like Trym who is sitting there doing nothing". I find this sad, as musically I think it's Emperor's most diverse masterpiece to date. And Isahn's vison obviousley called for the drumming to be more minimal than prior efforts to complement his riffs they way he saw they had to be. Yes it was a change from the last albums, but if you ask me, if you listen to 1X Equilibrium, then listen to Prometheus, in my opinion, the themes, and direction Isahn chose to explore on that album appear to be nothing but a logical progression from where 1X left off. In the nightside Eclipse was awesome, adhearing more toward the black metal that was dominating the early 90's. Anthems To the Welkin At Dusk saw them break away from that mould and create something that went beyond the norms of "Blackmetal", and if you asked me was the turning point for Emperor where they couldn't care whether they were classed as "Blackmetal" or not anymore. They just wanted to write metal that was Emperor, no one else. Then we have 1X Equilibrium which saw them loose a lot of fans to start with, but also gain a lot of new ones, who could apreciate the complexity of the ideas and the structuring, and later on seeing a lot of those old fans return upon realising all the points that made that album so strong. If you listen to Equilibrium, then listen to In the Nightside Eclipse, it's hard to tell it's even the same band. Equilibrium is so Bizzarre in comparrison, and the songs on it explore so many different areas of emotion, and create a vast variety of mood changes. So then, when hearing how Diverse and in a lot of cases Bizzarre, the song writing, and structuring on Prometheus is, I can only see it as Isahns natural Progression from where Equilibrium left off. And if you ask me, a brilliant way to end a brilliant carrer.
Immortal are another one. I won't go into the details of how much they have changed, but from the start to where they find themselves now, the change is pretty big for those of you who aren't familiar with their music. And I think anyone who brands their new stuff as crap, because it isn't Battles In the North are close minded, and unwilling to hear all the areas of where their writing, and playing, and general musianship has progressed, and matured, because their last 3 albums have been fucking sick!!
So as I said earlier, I am not against change at all. I am all for it if it brings with it progression, and maturity to the songs. And this is Why I find the difficulties in understanding how someone can say they like Opeth, and Korn at the same time. I am not having a go at anyone who fits into that category, because I appreciate that everyone likes different types of music for different reasons. But I just find it odd, but that is just my opinion.
I myself listen to someone like Nile, and Tori Amos at the same time. I don't listen to Tori Amos very much, and own none of her albums, but I respect her, and like a lot of her work. Some of it I hate, but I do like a lot. Because I think she is extremely aware of where she wants her songs to be going, every song has it's own unique feel, a lot of it's very moody which is another reason why I like it. And I just think her music is well executed, thought out, and mature. The mindscapes she is able to create through her music is pretty amazing, and this is why I respect her.
With Korn on the other hand, I am able to see nothing but posers with their guitars strapped down to their ankles, playing as the international spokes people for Adidas. Their songs have not progressed at all over their last 3 or 4 albums. They sound terribly stagnant, and it's hard to hear the difference between one song to the next. The lyrics seem rushed and un thought out. And basically, I can only see them as a coporate money making machine, that has got to where they have entirely on Gimmicks.
And I was told the other day that one of the guitarist said in an interview that the only reason they play with their guitars down so low is because they have to do it to reach the chord positions they play, cause their chords are so "crazy and bent". That's crap, and I find it insulting. I see it only as a way to try and make people think there is a purpose to them doing that, so they won't be made fun of for doing it, and a lot of people do send them up for playing with their guitars so low too. If they could be bothered to practice at having better technique their so called chord difficulties would be solved.
Anyway, that's my say. I respect that someone could like Opeth and Korn at the same time, because they are obviousley getting something from it, I just can't see what that would be.

And I was told the other day that one of the guitarist said in an interview that the only reason they play with their guitars down so low is because they have to do it to reach the chord positions they play, cause their chords are so "crazy and bent". That's crap, and I find it insulting. I see it only as a way to try and make people think there is a purpose to them doing that, so they won't be made fun of for doing it, and a lot of people do send them up for playing with their guitars so low too. If they could be bothered to practice at having better technique their so called chord difficulties would be solved.
:lol: Now that is funny!

As for the rest of your statement you pretty much have it right, its VERY hard to analyse something you yourself dont like, very hard. Thats why you get rediculous reviews that completley miss the point of the music (eg the ones about Opeth inappropriately changing between mellow and heavy constantly!).. so you can try and talk about the music but in the end if somebody enjoys listening to it then thats all there is to it, good for them.

And its also extremely hard to analyse why artists write music, there are so many reasons and its rediculous to claim Korns song writing is PURELY based on money/fame. Sure its there, but its not all that korn are about i assume.

(just a hint trent: if you leave a line between your paragraphs it makes the MUCH easier to read!) :)

Yeah, all points taken Dave. I probably tend to go off the deep end a little bit when I feel I have a topic to argue that I am passionate about, or hold a particular point of view for.
Thanx for the tip about the lines, I didn't realise that old gimmick would really work.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Opeth sure arent gods at their instruments agreed, but they are better than Korn at playing... and some people seem to think that that alone is more important than whether you actually enjoy listening to the song for any reason.

And yes some people would listen to Korn because its catchy. Are you implying there is a problem with that? Theres a large portion of metal called "Swedish Melodic Death" that has similar elements which attract a lot of people to that music.. of course the songs are more complex and playing is more complex, but the sound is still 'catchy' for many, relying on hooks to capture their listener..

I am not, yet you are being hard on some swedish metal that do not deserve it. I can see how inflames can be doing stuff just to be catchy, i even saw it on at the gates a little bit, but ive never saw it on Dark Tranquillity, If they got simpler was because they got more mature but i do not consider haven a catchy album, its complicated but all the details are so subtle you often miss them.

But well i would also like you to notice how can you be attracted to a band cause is catchy and yet you discover things behind the catchy cover, ive never discovered anything behind Korns catchy cover their music is hollow and lacks of any real depth.