Galder's vocals

I think it's just that Shaggy has tenure. Vortex doesn't only do clean vocals, he also has one of the best growls in the business. Shaggy just flat out sucks, he's cartoonish, laughable, and the opposite of grim. He should be ashamed.

I agree with Eire. If Vortex did all of the vocals, it wouldn't seem right, because transferring quickly from infernal growls to clean pure tones back and forth constantly is very hard to do, which is why he did more singing than he did growling on Borkie's old albums. I agree he's one hell of a vocalist, but I think constantly (in touring also) doing growls and clean vocals will really wear him out, considering 90% of DB isn't clean vocals.

Borknagar didn't do even almost as many gigs as DB has done. Dimmu are constantly touring and are doing the big tour this year with CoB and Nevermore.

It can be done, yes, but it will leave whoever's doing it very worn out and tired at the end of gigs. With all that screaming and growling, one would think that his voice would be raspy and his throat sore, taking away from his clean vocals... DB should stay the same as it is on vocals, because that's what everyone's used to. I wouldn't appreciate Vortex's vocals so much if he didn't have so few vocal spots.

I really like Dimmu Borgir's singing. I love Shagrath's voice, though on the last 2 releases it sounds more high pitched than previously and I really liked the lower tone of his voice on Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimensions. I do like Vortex's voice, though honestly I would like to hear Dimmu incorporate the clean vocals they used on Stormblast, the really low pitched, almost gothic type of vocals, I thought that was really cool

Who cares if there was an uproar? Dimmu Borgir fans are mouth-breathing gutter-apes for the most part, I hope they all fuck off and die so I could care less what they think. Vortex is a FAR superior vocalist to Shaggy in all respects, he should be the singer for the band. Who cares if he can't prance around like a gothic shitbag on stage and announce such things as "Welcome sons of Satan!" in a very goofy cartoony voice because he is playing bass while singing? They could just get someone else on bass anyways, Vortex is a much better vocalist than a bass player. Just get Nagash (Lex Icon) back on bass or something...

And the singing + growling argument doesn't work, My Dying Bride sings and growls together live and still sounds awesome so it can be done and it has been done by many bands. Growling through a whole set would be more damaging to your vocal chords than singing + growling anyways.

I would love to see Simen (Vortex) do 50/50 vocals, too. I was just bringing in the perspective of Shagrath enthusiasts. I personally think he's nothing special, but I can see that an uprising would start among the Shagrath fans if Simen took over. DB would be better if that happened. I never thought of the 50/50 growl/sing kind of deal, but that would be great if they could make the next album like that.

LuminousAether said:
They could just get someone else on bass anyways, Vortex is a much better vocalist than a bass player. Just get Nagash (Lex Icon) back on bass or something...

Yeah, they could just get another good bassplayer. Nagash would never join, though. I just talked to Psy Coma who plays together with him in Kovenant, and he says that Nagash isn't exactly good friends with the black metal scene/the persons involved in it nowadays. That's one of the reasons SETI turned out the way it did; he was tired of all black metal purists and the whole elitism surrounding the genre.

Well there ya go, look at your profile. You are obviously biased to black metal, so you will tend to think death metal is shit. Galder's vocals are extremely badass. Very rough and eviller-sounding than most. PLUS, he can pull off the vocals and growl on top of playing guitar. I can tell you as a guitarist that even doing simple things on guitar and singing over it is a challenge, but he takes it to a whole different level. He does highly technical guitarwork while growling.

Thanks, Hearse, I've only been trying to tell everyone that for the last week! :) I've given up, though, since nobody really cares about 'preserving original band members' anymore nowadays. Many bands have ditched their original members, such as Hammerfall, In Flames, and plenty others....

Reactions: Fevermist
Your quite right, I don't particularily like typical death metal vocals (no i don't think death metal is shit, it's usually quite technically profficient and if i ignore the vocals, alot of it is quite good.) but I don't think they should be "overly prominently" in black metal. Oh by the way my band uses death metal vocals on occasion and I think it adds a lot of variety, its just not used all the time, I just think, when it comes to the most recent album, Galders vocals in particular suck and if they were used in Dimmu then that would be really shitty.

That's kinda the same deal with Power Metal. if you block out the 80's high pitched vocals, it's actually some of the most technical guitarwork ever done. Blind Guardian really pisses me off at vocals. I know everyone brags about them, and I do too, but the lead singer sounds like he's angry every single second he sings. It takes away from the song & feeling of it. If Blind Guardian made instrumentals, that would be much better. But anyway, back to Galder... it's a matter of preference really. You're right, that style adds variety to the music when used sparingly, but I guess it takes a death metal fanatic to appreciate the vocals 100% of the time.

and BTW, my friend Daniel got Galder's metal pick when he through it out in the crowd on the gig last Sunday!!! SHIT!!! :) that lucky bastard...