So, who here likes...

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
OLD MAN'S CHILD.

I know the opinion is split right down the middle on Dimmu Borgir, but I'm curious as to your opinions on OMC, guitarist Galder's project. These guys were around back in the earlier days of Dimmu and they have evolved similarily, which is probably why they chose Galder as a guitarist in the first place.

I own The Pagan Prosperity, Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion, and Revelation 666. Thanks to Evil C, I'm checking out In Defiance Of Existence right now. Gotta say, this guy has some great drummers on his cds, from Tjodalv, to gene Hoglan, to Nick Barker.

Excellent.

when one of my metalhead friends came home from texas this summer, he brought a cd-r of "in defiance..." and accidentally left it in my car. i listened to it a few times and thought it was quite solid. might pop it again sometime.

seriously though, "the millennium king" is one of the best extreme metal songs i've ever heard (does it count as extreme???)

Black Winter Day said:
when one of my metalhead friends came home from texas this summer, he brought a cd-r of "in defiance..." and accidentally left it in my car. i listened to it a few times and thought it was quite solid. might pop it again sometime.

seriously though, "the millennium king" is one of the best extreme metal songs i've ever heard (does it count as extreme???)

Sure, why not? I don't give a fuck what anybody says. :D

And man, I'll go out on a limb and say that a large part of the material on In Defiance... surpasses that of Death Cult Armageddon.

Galder's vocals are more brutal than Shagrath's. My faves on The Pagan Prosperity are "Doommaker" and "What malice Embrace."

yeah, i knew that when DCA came out that there would be inevitable comparisons... while i pretty much like both albums (surprisingly!), if i had to do a review this second i'd probably give DCA a 7/10 and IDoE a 7.5. i just think it "flows" better and has a bit better songwriting. like i said though, i need to give it a few more spins. hell, i may even buy the album one day!

have you heard the debut? born of the flickering, i believe?

Black Winter Day said:
yeah, i knew that when DCA came out that there would be inevitable comparisons... while i pretty much like both albums (surprisingly!), if i had to do a review this second i'd probably give DCA a 7/10 and IDoE a 7.5. i just think it "flows" better and has a bit better songwriting. like i said though, i need to give it a few more spins. hell, i may even buy the album one day!

have you heard the debut? born of the flickering, i believe?

Yes, it's very atmospheric, I think Erik might like it. Their production approach changed dramatically between that one and the Pagan Prosperity.