Gamers Thread

Just got into Rift today for a few hours, and its pretty cool for freeware, but what the hell is their problem with linear builds? Every time I level I'm supposed to spend a point outside of my preferred soul tree. Its working out for now because that particular skill can benefit my primary but forcing it just seems... Dumb. I feel like it brings intelligent builders down to the level of people who don't understand being a jack of all trades sucks.

I mean bilinear is alright if you wanna make that work for fun but nothing tops maxing the shit out of something.

So I'm thinking of getting or building a gaming PC for under $1000.
I'm leaning towards getting an Alienware x51.

I've looked into pre-built vs building it myself and am still unsure.
Most people that say building one provides better performance at half the cost never display any actual proof and I've heard that pre-built computers last longer. That said, I don't doubt Alienware pc's are overpriced.

I'm upgrading from a fucking Macbook Pro with an i5 processor and Geforce GT 330M GPU so just about anything will be an upgrade to me as far as gaming goes :lol:

Any other pc gamers on here with suggestions/advice/experience???

So I'm thinking of getting or building a gaming PC for under $1000.
I'm leaning towards getting an Alienware x51.

I've looked into pre-built vs building it myself and am still unsure.
Most people that say building one provides better performance at half the cost never display any actual proof and I've heard that pre-built computers last longer. That said, I don't doubt Alienware pc's are overpriced.

I'm upgrading from a fucking Macbook Pro with an i5 processor and Geforce GT 330M GPU so just about anything will be an upgrade to me as far as gaming goes :lol:

Any other pc gamers on here with suggestions/advice/experience???

I built my computer, it was definitely a lot cheaper to build, but sometimes you run into problems, and you don't have anyone but yourself to fix them, no warranty.

If your savvy with computers build it yourself, if your not, pay a lot more for the convenience of a pre-built computer with warranty.

Some computers last a long time, some don't, pre built or custom.

I built my computer, it was definitely a lot cheaper to build, but sometimes you run into problems, and you don't have anyone but yourself to fix them, no warranty.

If your savvy with computers build it yourself, if your not, pay a lot more for the convenience of a pre-built computer with warranty.

Some computers last a long time, some don't, pre built or custom.

I'm comfortable putting together most of the components except for the processor.

I have an old dell that is just sitting at a friends house. My only problem with it is that it is running Windows vista and has "computer AIDS" from being used by multiple family members and friends that install every questionable thing that pops up while online. I have win7 so it having vista isn't a problem. Would a factory reset do anything to viruses?

Also, are there any other components besides the GPU and CPU that really have an impact on how well games will run?

Don't go prebuilt.

Could you elaborate a wee bit?

A lot of people use the argument "It's less expensive" yet they never actually provide any evidence of that.

Ive bought good value Dell prebuilts for a couple of upgrade cycles now. Just have to swap out the power supply and throw in a gfx card.

I'd recommend building it yourself, but then I find that shit fun. Definitely the most bang for your buck, but you can run into compatibility issues etc.

I'm comfortable putting together most of the components except for the processor.

I have an old dell that is just sitting at a friends house. My only problem with it is that it is running Windows vista and has "computer AIDS" from being used by multiple family members and friends that install every questionable thing that pops up while online. I have win7 so it having vista isn't a problem. Would a factory reset do anything to viruses?

Also, are there any other components besides the GPU and CPU that really have an impact on how well games will run?

Could you elaborate a wee bit?

A lot of people use the argument "It's less expensive" yet they never actually provide any evidence of that.

Curious what is difficult about installing the processor? I always find it kind of fun, it's like a million tiny pins that fit perfectly, I'm easily entertained sometimes...

If you want to see the savings first hand just find a computer that you like and look at the parts it comes with, then search for the parts on newegg.com and you will see the savings.

RAM will have a very big impact on how well your games will run, try and get at least 16GB, you will be very happy that you did.

Also, it's not necessary but it will have another big impact for gaming which is a Solid State Drive it's basically a very very fast hard drive.

Not sure if a factory reset would clear your "computer AIDS" but you can format the hard drive and download a "legal" copy of windows and install everything fresh. That's what I would do.

Thanks for the input SWAT and everyone else. :headbang:

Just talked it over with some friends of mine who showed me how to install the processor and after a bit of tinkering around with the corpse of my old desktop I've decided to build one myself.
They showed me Microcenter, the site they used to pick out their parts, and I can definitely build a better rig for a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Thanks for the input SWAT and everyone else. :headbang:

Just talked it over with some friends of mine who showed me how to install the processor and after a bit of tinkering around with the corpse of my old desktop I've decided to build one myself.
They showed me Microcenter, the site they used to pick out their parts, and I can definitely build a better rig for a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Right on! Microcenter is awesome, I live right next to one and they are one of the most affordable places around.

Good luck!

Anyone ever play Defense Grid? I've been playing this and Defense Grid 2 almost none stop for a few months now, so fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defense Grid is the fuckin shit.

I just fired it back up and damned if they aren't making off with my cores again...

beat Hotline Miami 2. it's a lot different from the first game. you play as like 8 different characters which is a bit ridiculous since there's only 25 levels. the levels are much bigger and you're forced to use guns more often than the original game.

I'm only at the first army part but so far I don't like it as much as the first. It's definitely harder, but often not in a good way. In the first game I think every level could be beaten without guns, here you really have to use them and the problem is the gun combat is just much less satisfying than the melee.

it's definitely harder than the first game. i got the 1000 deaths achievement the first day playing. the most annoying thing to me is that you basically have to play the entire game holding shift for the longer view but the crosshairs aren't always accurate. if you miss one shot or hesitate for a split second you're dead.