Gaming Thread

Agreed on both accounts. I love Mass Effect dearly, and I think it has fantastic combat, that's why I said that.

Now if only Bioware could actually get some programmers who know how to create squad AI that's almost modern, then I wouldn't have anything at all to complain about. Both Mass Effect games were two of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had--and that was after I initially thought it would just be a shoddy TPS.

Problem is though, the squad AI is some of the worst I've ever seen, especially if you play on the higher difficulties. Miranda just can't resist eating another rocket-to-the-face sandwich as she "takes cover" by crouching on top of a box. AI has never been Bioware's forte, but in a game like that where they are attempting to mix genres, they need to stop half-assing the more technical aspects.

You have a squad in Mass Effect? You guys must be playing the wrong class. If you reroll a Vanguard I think you'll find that you don't have enough time between charging a group of mercs and shotgunning some motherfuckers in the face with incendiary ammo to really notice or care. I like to think of the squad selection screen as either the "you two guys are getting locked in the hangar bay and fighting to the death for my amusement" selection screen or the "you two girls are getting locked in my cabin and better be oiled up by the time I get back from saving the fucking universe" selection screen.

Oh, and one of you feed my fucking fish. I am not making another run to the Citadel to buy those again.

I agree with John on the elder scrolls. The combat is something they've tried to rework but in the end it's something that gets overshadowed by their work with creating a giant open world, amazing story, and a game packed with quests. Other games may focus far more on the combat but they can't achieve what TES has in terms of the world and story behind all of it. I hated the combat of morrowind and it really bugged me but not enough to stop me from playing the game because the rest of it was so complex and amazing. Oblivion got better but still not perfect, yet I played it because again I loved all the quests, the world, the story, etc. Skyrim looks even better as from the videos I've seen they've added different strikes and it feels more like you're actually hitting the person (something they just started to get right in oblivion) so I'm very excited to see how the different moves and animations work in the game.

in the end really TES is about all the other aspects of making that giant open world that other games really just haven't been able to and sucking you into that universe. if the combat was so awful people wouldn't love morrowind (or for most, oblivion) and I know people will say OMG FALLACY WE HATE THE COMBAT AND THAT DETRACTS FROM IT but really game developers can't do fucking EVERYTHING. its quite apparent that they're really trying to fix the combat system and move things forward as much as they can in each game while not taking 10 years between them so i can respect that and as long as it doesn't ruin my gameplay experience, i'm happy. if you want better combat at the expense of that giant open world and massive amount of combat go play a game that has that; John seemed a bit like he was saying that in a condescending way but really different games are made for different features/people so if the style of TES doesn't suit you then you could play any other game that has a more isolated world and less expansive story/lore/features/aspects but a much better combat system yet is still a great game.

You have a squad in Mass Effect? You guys must be playing the wrong class. If you reroll a Vanguard I think you'll find that you don't have enough time between charging a group of mercs and shotgunning some motherfuckers in the face with incendiary ammo to really notice or care.
Or go Infiltrator like me. Sniper rifle + scope slowdown = Headshot city!

Also, *high five* for use of the term "re-roll". Old school RPing for the win!

Deus ex 3 character = Adam Jensen. that is pretty good though, those games stomp it from what i've heard though I've still been meaning to check it out despite all the mediocre reviews and whatnot (really like bioware and never played a dragon age game).

seriously though the DXHR beta is so ridiculously fun. I can't comprehend how much I've played it but I've played through the entire thing 2 times, and currently am doing one save where I'm maybe 2 or 3 main missions in but only getting augmentations that are unique (no extra energy batteries or inventory space as i wasted many on that in another play through) and am messing around with the super cool augmentations and getting the max experience as its hard when you have a cut off limited portion. however if i've been able to sink about 30 hours into this 1/3rd of the game i can't even wait until the final is out and i get to play through it 1 time how i would normally, a second time doing everything i missed/didn't do and a 3rd time collecting max experience and making sure to explore ever facet of the world (there are still secret areas and things that baffle me). seriously if you've ever played deus ex and liked it (if you haven't do it nao) you should check out the beta or wait for the game, support brilliance like this.

DA2 isnt terrible, it just feels rushed. The story is awesome, the characters are awesome, as is the voice acting. The combat is subpar, and the maps are recycled beyond ridiculousness.

One would think that either a) the people who constantly slam DA2 either haven't really played many of the truly terrible games out there, or b) thought Origins was the second comming (it wasn't by a longshot). DA2 was a pretty throwaway gaming experience, but it was enjoyable if you actually play games to have fun. Oh, I forgot: c) have to slam the game because that's the trendy thing to do over the internet nowadays when discussing video games in any sense.

The only really outstanding games Bioware has made anyway were the Baldur's Gate games, KOTOR and the ME series. Pretty much everything else is just recycling. Of course, that's just my opinion.:devil:

I don't really understand all of the flack that game got, because it was pretty enjoyable for the most part. It was very short though. For trying to do something different, it stands out, but it wasn't an overly polished attempt--but it wasn't awful either.

Exactly. It was a brave attempt to do something new, from a company that could just as easily have made another Baldur's Gate. Sure, it had its flaws, but I sure loved every minute of my playthrough, even if it was short.

Also, playing Suikoden V now, and kinda peeved I can't switch bodyguards. Miakis is awesomeness ^_^