Gaming Thread

those are for morrowind or oblivion? i'm looking for both and in terms of oblivion i've only tried qarls texture pack (which i didn't like; either it didn't work or i didn't notice it), some LOD mod which didn't really work and colored maps (which is awesome).

Have any of you guys had problems with transparency AA? i know i'm kinda jumping all over the place but it really bugs me when in games in the distance the trees kinda look a bit pixelated and fucked, whereas in other games in the distance they have that kinda transparent look and are smooth and good looking. if this is by game or if this is a videocard problem please let me know; i'm hoping with these mods to make both oblivion and morrowind look better but getting the basics fixed as well is important. I just finished shivering isles (talk about an anti climactic ending, but oh well still fun) and i'm back in cyrodill so i can try out these mods for sure now.

as far as I know there's a LOT of those packs you can get, huge mega packs like OOO etc that add massive amounts of stuff, both content wise and graphical. was a couple years ago when I installed, and was kind of a hassle then but I think the process is a bit more streamlined now. The Steampowered forums for the elder scrolls has a few guides to installing all that stuff.

Besides that I heard of some russian mod that was coming that did all that too but looked absolutely stunning, I forgot its name though D:

Cross your fingers that Skyrim will actually be a Bethesda game that you can stomach playing from start to finish without any non graphical mods. I know quite a few in this thread seem to like Shivering Isles, but I'm so totally anal when it comes to playing games that I won't even play it until I'm a good way through Oblivion. And I absolutely hate vanilla Oblivion--even with all kinds of mods I get bored after about ten hours tops.

I did however enjoy Fallout 3, and was able to play through it (aka explore everything) once before any expansion packs without any problems. They said they've taken quite a few cues from their Fallout experience as well. I'm also looking forward to Kingdoms of Amalur. Although it has the potential to be "The game that Fable always wished it was" and something truly terrible.

I hate Oblivion, too, but I have complete faith in Skyrim. 9 environment types including volcanic tundra as opposed to Oblivions stupid planes. 8 people working on dungeons as opposed to 1 in Oblivion. Mountains not allowing you to travel a straight line from point A to point B.

Kingdoms of Amalur definitely has potential seeing how a lot of the writing was done by R.A Salvatore. But, I think it'll flop.

a couple of days ago my girlfreind bought an x-box 360
and the game red dead redemption
she's addicted to it, shes been playing it non-stop
she isn't even bothering to buy any other games yet

In other news, Activision ruins Diablo 3.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
2) Mods are “expressly prohibited.”
3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.

In other news, Activision ruins Diablo 3.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
2) Mods are “expressly prohibited.”
3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.

Yeah, I saw this shit earlier yesterday. I'm glad that they've already completely destroyed one of the more social aspects of the game before it's even released. It's also going to make trading hard, if not completely impossible.

thats pretty fucking cool. then again, we won't have hardware to make that functional for a while, but i dismiss all the nay sayers saying it's impossible. with technology we can achieve pretty much anything and can't even comprehend the future (like i'm reading Neuromancer right now which was written in the 80s, and the character steals like 2 mb or gb of ram to sell on the back market because back then even having a comp with 500 kb of ram was worth thousands of dollars, thus he couldn't even comprehend having so much ram now, yet we have it in even the most basic computers) so i don't ask if this will happen, it's when. each year we raise our technology's power and i can't wait until we're making games like the world is created. getting rid of popin and polygons would be fucking awesome. the only thing we need now is for the hardware to catch up (maybe some of those professional 4gb firestorm ati cards could get close, but those cost thousands of dollars).

thats pretty fucking cool. then again, we won't have hardware to make that functional for a while, but i dismiss all the nay sayers saying it's impossible.

I just watched that video, and wow. I mean, I always knew graphics would one day of course be at that level, but I didn't think it would be so soon. I'm also not sure what person would ever think something like that wouldn't be possible--that doesn't make any sense to me. Then again, neither does organized religion. :saint:

You do realize though that within the next fifty years (if not much sooner), the mythical "virtual reality" is going to exist. I'm talking about arenas that are almost impossible to distinguish from the real world. The largest drawback would be how to have you connected to that world in non prohibitive way, because if you're wearing some giant helmet thing, or at the very least must need to remain connected to wires (probably be all Nutooth 6.0!) it will keep you grounded. Strange Days and The Matrix will no longer just be fiction, and it's going to be the most addicting drug ever produced.