Gaming Thread

I also never understood Cosplay, but there are one or two of Garrus that's absolutely incredible. Your perspective about video games not being a sport though is definitely not universally shared, and probably with the shrinking minority. You'd also be hard pressed to convince a Korean that Star Craft was not a sport. Is it a display of one's physical prowess? Aside from finger dexterity, no--but that doesn't mean it requires any less effort to reach the upper echelons.

16lwbo1.gif

33067bq.gif

I don't understand what the big deal is. It's not a single player game designed to run on hardware that everyone has that's the same. I'm not saying the game will be any good either--I don't care either way.

You'll probably like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lot of people like gaming tournaments but I just can't take them seriously haha. I know it takes major skill but stuff like the commentators, seeing that guy freak out and show his flag at the end and the huge crowd etc; it just doesn't feel right since it's videogames and not some actual sport. I can't imagine a bunch of scrawny dudes in their room doing thumb wars, tutorials and grunting while the rocky theme plays; it just doesn't sit right.

do you take profesional poker seriously
it's the same concept, not really an athletic sport, but a competition of skill nonetheless

I also never understood Cosplay, but there are one or two of Garrus that's absolutely incredible. Your perspective about video games not being a sport though is definitely not universally shared, and probably with the shrinking minority. You'd also be hard pressed to convince a Korean that Star Craft was not a sport. Is it a display of one's physical prowess? Aside from finger dexterity, no--but that doesn't mean it requires any less effort to reach the upper echelons.

cosplay is awesome to watch on video, but then when i actually show up to www.a-kon.com without wearing a costume, and i feel like i'm unnder-dressed, like i'm wearing jeans and a hot-topic t-shirt to a black-tie event

and yes, winning any kind of money or titles at any kind of gaming tournament really does require a huge amount of effort

It all depends on whether you see the word 'sport' as a strictly physical contest of skill, or if you view it in a broader sense. Semantics isn't set in stone, so saying "X isn't a sport" is useless. It might not be a sport to you, but it might be to others. I personally don't consider chess, video games or other similar things 'sport', but I can understand that others do.

It all depends on whether you see the word 'sport' as a strictly physical contest of skill, or if you view it in a broader sense. Semantics isn't set in stone, so saying "X isn't a sport" is useless. It might not be a sport to you, but it might be to others. I personally don't consider chess, video games or other similar things 'sport', but I can understand that others do.

there seems to be some disagreement over the definition about the word "sport" i always use it in the sense of "athletic sports"

for the people making money or wining titles playing chess or poker or video games, i would refer to these events as "non-athletic competitions" and i actually take these MORE SERIOUSLY than "athletic sports"

when i'm watching The SuperBowl, i'm looking at the huge-breasted women wearing sexier-than-nudity costumes in the comercials and the half-time show, most of the time i don't even know or care what 2 teams are playing

when i'm watching The SuperBowl, i'm looking at the huge-breasted women wearing sexier-than-nudity costumes in the comercials and the half-time show, most of the time i don't even know or care what 2 teams are playing

Don't forget about all of the Coke, Dodge and Budwiser commercials. Anyway, typically "sports" is used for athletic competitions, and "e-sports" are used for video games.

I didn't say anything was or wasn't a sport, I just said I can't take it seriously when it has such athletic sports style things going on with it yet is totally different. If a poker tournament was watched by an arena of fans, had a gatorade bucket poured on someone at the end or the winner got up and screamed like a monkey and did a dance while throwing his cards on the ground I definitely couldn't take that seriously either.

Also I love John's hate on the old republic, I'm reallllyy trying hard to make myself not get that because I really need the parts of my life I still have (and it'd absorb all of them) so hopefully his hate will convince me not to get it haha

Don't forget about all of the Coke, Dodge and Budwiser commercials. Anyway, typically "sports" is used for athletic competitions, and "e-sports" are used for video games.

the "dallas mavericks" have just won the basketball championship and i personnally know a bunch of people that would cream their pants if the met Dirk Nowitzki face-2-face, but me personnally i'd be much more exited to meet a guy that's just won some sort of national video gaming competition

I didn't say anything was or wasn't a sport, I just said I can't take it seriously when it has such athletic sports style things going on with it yet is totally different. If a poker tournament was watched by an arena of fans, had a gatorade bucket poured on someone at the end or the winner got up and screamed like a monkey and did a dance while throwing his cards on the ground I definitely couldn't take that serious either.

you just listed the reasons why i don't watch athletic sports

also for those of you who know about the old republic, lets say i'm not associated with anyone, how do i play the game? like if i go into the game does it drop me in and i have to find quests? or does it start my story in some way and assign people to join me? i guess what i'm saying is if i were to just want to do the story would it just drop me in the game like mass effect would and then put me through the story until i complete, then let me roam the galaxy? or put me in the galaxy until i find missions, then generate some random players and lock me into that mission etc? I really don't know how it'll work and even if i were to play it (hopefully not haha) i don't know how i would because i don't know anyone who would be playing it as well.

From what I understand, it's going to use an instance system. Meaning even on the same server, you're only going to have a handful of people with you on a particular planet. I imagine you will have the option of who you want to group with, and if you have no one you will enter a "Looking For Group" que.

As far as quest go, each class has it's own particular story being told, so I'm not sure how other players will tie into that. As far as exploration, I'm pretty sure it's like any other MMO, where you're free to explore all you want, regardless of quest.

definitely doesn't sound like it's for me, I just would want to press new game and get a group and start playing. not really pumped on social dynamic of games (i can hang out enough in real life). kotor 3 with sith lords, bounty hunters etc would be sweet but yeah from all that stuff you've said, the videos and the fact that i'd have to find a group of people and constantly be dealing with that shit, hopefully i won't end up getting this.

i'll just stick to skyrim instead (coming up at 90 hours on oblivion now since i never really finished every quest and i still have mages guild, dark brotherhood which i'm part way into and any other misc quests then will go back to morrowind). i can't even fathom how many hours of gameplay that game will have with the fact that it has so many more dungeons that are unique than oblivion, so much more stuff going on in the cities, all the guilds, a map that will make me want to explore like morrowind instead of the same kind of areas over and over etc. in oblivion i've just been doing quests and going around looking for unique areas instead of the recycled areas, and i'm quite excited for skyrim to bring back that feeling of morrowind of constantly coming upon unique things.

They just had a poll on what race and class they should make using the character generator and show off later this week, Dark Elf Thief won. :D

I can't wait to meet the Grey Beards. Ancient old men on the (literally, Todd said he's counting each one) 7000 step mountain. They have the shouting ability, like Dovakhiin. Imagine killing one of those guys and dragging his corpse off the mountain!

I also want to meet The White Witch of Lorkhan, who rules one of the western cities.

I have no idea where you get this stuff from or how the fuck to follow the lore haha! I keep hearing people talk about the game/expansions for others etc and it feels like they know all about the lore that it revolves around just magically (I hear people in oblivion talking about summerset isles but i don't know what it is even!). is there a site where they have a structured way to learn about the lore of the elder scrolls games from morrowind on that I could look at and read about? when i can be fully engrossed in the game universe it makes a hugeee difference (like in deus ex) and I'd really like to know the elder scrolls things so when people in the games talk about stuff I'd actually know what the fuck they're saying (especially with all the unique stuff that'll be in skyrim obviously revolving around lore; i only know the dovakin thing because they say that in the trailer and i know skyrim is the mountainous region of nords, cyrodil is the capital with imperials, and morrowind is in vardenfell or something and it's mostly dwemers right?).