Gaming Thread

thanks a bunch! i've been reading the faq and then i'll get to the other stuff (i just leave tabs open and read a few things, come back later etc) and it's already teaching me some good stuff and giving me background that really helps. even without hearing some of this stuff in the game, i'm gaining a much better appreciation of the world and how things connect and past things i've done in the game make a lot more sense now. I still have muchhh to read and things are quite confusing, but with reading this, finishing up all the side shit in oblivion, and then going back and replaying morrowind by the time skyrim comes out i'll have a hugeee appreciation of the lore and be able to get into it to the max, not as much as you obviously, but it'll definitely help me understand the stuff (i did the last theives guild quest last night and had no idea who the fuck the moth guys were or the gravity of what i was doing, now i realize what i did was fucking IMMENSE, despite having thought it was fairly important now i truly see what a big deal it is, and i also understand why in morrowind everyone called me outlander and hated me etc though i forget so much of it i'm definitely going back in a week or so).

definitely doesn't sound like it's for me, I just would want to press new game and get a group and start playing. not really pumped on social dynamic of games (i can hang out enough in real life). kotor 3 with sith lords, bounty hunters etc would be sweet but yeah from all that stuff you've said, the videos and the fact that i'd have to find a group of people and constantly be dealing with that shit, hopefully i won't end up getting this.

Yeah, I'm not sure what your idea of an MMORPG was, but it's definitely not a "press new game and you're instantly off" kind of genre. If you're the super cool kid in a big guild then maybe, but usually you have to jump a bunch of hoops first--especially if you're new to the genre.

I ended up quitting after eleven years into the genre, because my last WoW guild of five years finally broke up, and I'd already spent way too much time and effort investing in that guild (helped create and run it as well). There were not too many other guilds similar to mine needing anyone--it was either take a step up into the "top 20" arena and completely give up all of the rest of my free time, or slum around in a guild much worse than the one I was leaving.

I ended up in a guild that was almost as progressed as we were, but they had a rotating door roster (my old guild was lucky to need a new person every two or three months) with members who simply did not give a shit about anything--half-assed their jobs, and raid leaders who thought acting like a drill sargeant was the best approach--even though half of the time they would be yelling at the wrong people and making the wrong calls. Quit that guild after three months and never looked back. I'll probably never play that genre again either.

TOR seems like it's going to use the Guild Wars "henchmen" method though as well. It's where you essentially grab another 2-3 AI partners so you can complete harder areas without needing to look for a real group. Usually humans are going to be better, but often times that's really not the case--shitty AI ends up being superior.

seeing that guy freak out and show his flag at the end and the huge crowd etc; it just doesn't feel right since it's videogames and not some actual sport

He just beat and perfected the greatest street fighter player in the world , who was also the back to back Evo world champion. No big deal.

do you take profesional poker seriously
it's the same concept, not really an athletic sport, but a competition of skill nonetheless

This

Oh don't worry, they're all going to die. In fact, I'll go out of my way to find creative ways to kill them.

If the Staff of Worms or something with a similar effect is there, I'll revive them over and over to kill them again.

I'll use the charm spell and lead them up all 7000 steps of High Hrothgar and push them off.

I'll find a relationship Argonian female, seduce her into becoming my wife, get her to move in with me (you can do that), and then beat her on a regular basis.

I'll find an Argonian companion, lead him out into the tundra until we find a dragon, then use an invisibility spell and watch him die in terror.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much play as a human in every game, except oddly i played as a dark elf in morrowind my first time when i was 12 not knowing the lore and just thinking it was cool haha. one thing i don't get about that, if you're a dark elf in morrowind, and dark elfs are the main race in morrowind (because they split off from the aldmer i think i said that right and went out here) then why do they call you outlander? because you're not from morrowind? from what i read yesterday i assumed the outlander thing was more of a race issue, not where you were originally from. of course i'm just learning now so i would not be surprised if i'm wrong but whats up with that?

in skyrim i plan on being a nord and just bashing the fuck out of everyone because of the whole you being some awesome dragon soul warrior etc; i can't wait to have some better combat too because oblivions combat was eh, morrowinds was painful and if you can take the atmosphere/unique world of morrowind and give it good combat then the game will fucking CRUSH. I've seen some crazy mods for oblivion and morrowind and i'm definitely going to install a few on oblivion tonight to try them out (as long as they can be easily uninstalled, i try to mostly use omods) but sadly they will not be as good as skyrim, even with it's obviously consolized limitations =(.

Yup, it's because you're not a native Dunmer from Morrowind.

I'm almost done with my next Empiric track, it's called Outlander, you can guess what it's about. Hoping I can beg Dan into singing on it.

From the Quake-Con hands on Skyrim demo.

When a strange, imp-looking forest creature approached, the battle began. Judging by the performances of the players, this enemy is not to be underestimated. Many went for the standard Oblivion tactic of shooting fireballs while backpedaling to soften up the oncoming attacker. Unfortunately, the imp creature's closing speed cut off this strategy from the get go. The fights were physical and draining, with several players coming to the brink of defeat only to cast a healing spell at the last minute.

The feel of combat is still far from that of an action game, but doesn't feel quite as floaty as Elder Scrolls games past. Weapon strikes rebound off of enemy shields with a noticeable springiness, and because of how the camera moves when readying a heavier weapon strike, it feels as though there's more force behind each swing. Magic in the demo area was limited to three spells at the start, but each had cool effects, particularly the flame spell that shot a jet of fire forward, capable of setting the ground and trees alight or cooking bandits before they even had a chance to land a hit.

My life.

30sj7go.jpg

Actually, the thieving skill bonus's mean less skill points to level up off, making your character less good in the long run.

Therefor, in theory, it's better to make an Orc Thief, an Argonian heavy warrior, etc. The difference is very minimal, but I'm just saying.