Gaming Thread

offline mode works better but it still isn't playing 100% smoothly. no clue what could be wrong. It is NOT a computer issue. my computer is plenty powerful to run it. Plus, as I said, all the downloaded copies ran without a single flaw. whatever.

What's amazing is that they're getting small but steady amounts of money from me, whereas before the gaming industry wouldn't have (and hasn't, since 2008 when I moved countries and left my Xbox) seen a penny from me without it.

Take note movie industry.

What's amazing is that they're getting small but steady amounts of money from me, whereas before the gaming industry wouldn't have (and hasn't, since 2008 when I moved countries and left my Xbox) seen a penny from me without it.

Take note movie industry.

yeah seriously, i've said it before but I stopped seriously playing games in about 2005 or 2006 because it was so expensive and i didn't feel a serious desire to so i just pirated some games but once my brother got me into steam i started playing pc games like crazyyyy. i got a super powerful computer, started buying games in the sales, and just overall bought more because of the sheer ease in downloading every game really fast and playing it right from there, all the great different sales, having all those games in front of you etc. from 2006 -2010 i wasn't paying at all for games but with steams great sales/prices and the fact that so many games are out there and presented to you in an easy to sift through way it made me constantly put in money (mostly for the older games and sales but i have purchased new releases as well), even if it wasn't always an absurd amount.

I've spent maybe 100Euro in various games over the past few months. Bet there are loads of people like me spending similar amounts. Not big spenders, but solid income for the industry.

I even purchase games on steam that I have on CD when they're on sale, because its way more convenient (and I can't lose a steam program, its always backedup, etc). Slowly transferring all my games to steam, one $2 sale at a time. I think the only time I may ever buy physical game media again is the ME3 collectors edition.

I even purchase games on steam that I have on CD when they're on sale, because its way more convenient (and I can't lose a steam program, its always backedup, etc). Slowly transferring all my games to steam, one $2 sale at a time. I think the only time I may ever buy physical game media again is the ME3 collectors edition.

same, i did that with games i owned (some i lost) as well as some games i pirated (deleted the pirated copy and downloaded the real thing to actually support the developers). it's so much easier and more convenient as well as i like the auto update, the tracking your stats, achievements, hours played (though does anyone know where you can find a total count of all the hours you've spent? i only found one area but it was clearly off as it said i spent 4 hours on the witcher 2 but i've beaten it 2 times); overall the steam system just adds a lot to pc gaming and is truly awesome and i'm definitely glad i got introduced to it,though it has basically taken up my free time with pc gaming now haha

the only thing that pisses me off is when games like rage are $60 on steam, i mean they don't have the box cost, shipping or anything like that and yet its still $60? pc games shouldn't even be $60, they should be $50 since $60 is the consoles thing. i like when games are maybe $5 off before release because that makes sense in the passing the savings on to those using steam so charging full price AND the extra 10 is kinda a slap in the face.

Thats not true, they have servers and other things that create cost. They must have a shitton of server upkeep, and that shit isn't cheap. They probably still are better off then physical retailers, of course.

Thats not true, they have servers and other things that create cost. They must have a shitton of server upkeep, and that shit isn't cheap. They probably still are better off then physical retailers, of course.
You misunderstand. Of course they have maintenance costs, but what I mean to say is that they do not deliver physical articles. Once they acquire a game's licence, they can sell how many 'copies' they want of it, so even if they sell a game at €2, then that's €2 gained. That's why they can have such cheap sales - it doesn't cost them a dime, and even small sales mean a net gain.

EXACTLY what I do I bought Battlefront 2, bfbc2, company of heroes and a few more most of the other games I either don't care about or are like SC2 and aren't on steam.

You misunderstand. Of course they have maintenance costs, but what I mean to say is that they do not deliver physical articles. Once they acquire a game's licence, they can sell how many 'copies' they want of it, so even if they sell a game at €2, then that's €2 gained. That's why they can have such cheap sales - it doesn't cost them a dime, and even small sales mean a net gain.

Thats not true, they get a finite number of licenses for each game, as shown by the recent Company of Heroes sale during which a bunch of people weren't able to play it at first because steam ran out of licenses.