Gaming Thread

how do system updates work for xbox 360? i bought my xbox modded and im trying to watch a movie through it from a usb. it says there's a system update available that i need to download in order to watch the movie. im worried if i download it then my games will stop working, or will it just ban the console from going onto xbox live if they detect that it's modded (which is fine because i never use xbox live). i just dont want to download an update and have things stop working. input?

Saying you found this round hard or easy, or that you only got a few or got a lot is perfectly fine, but no spoiling things for the rest.

This was actually pretty annoying, because there's at least one song in there that I've heard numerous times that I should be able to name the game, but can't. Now that clip is going to be stuck in my head like a splinter until the answers are given. Or I'll figure it out when it's too late. :lol:
I've probably heard all but one of them at least once.

Well, you have until the end of the weekend for this one, so plenty of time to break your head over it ;)

Thanks for the link fix John, no idea why UM is so tetchy about embedded links.

And just so you know, someone's already aced the first question with a perfect 10 :D

Hmph. I've always adopted the motto: "never buy anything called 'X: The Game'," and it's never failed me so far :p
i can think of at least 1 exception to this rule

Batman_-_The_Video_Game_NES_01.png

The only Batman game that I can remember enjoying was the one that was released on the Genesis in 91 I think.

You're forgetting probably the best game based off of a movie, based off of a game though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Riccitiello is a gigantic douche, but he's savvy. He didn't just walk into EA one day and have the job fall into his lap; he's the former CEO of Sara Lee and Pepsi.

He's drawing a parallel between how invested gamers get when they love a game and he's saying that you could feasibly charge people for simply reloading their gun and they'd pay for it if they're invested. It's an extreme metaphor but it's actually true. The bad part about this isn't that EA would do something like this, but that there would be a market for this, and that's the fault of gamers. They're not gonna start charging people to reload their ammo, but the fact remains that many gamers have too much time and money on their hands.

Gaming is not some sacrosanct artform, it's a moneymaking enterprise. Developers make good games because the better the game, the more money they make. Gamers, on the other hand, act like they're fucking Olympiads because they can control pixels on a monitor in a fast and coordinated way. Gaming is about entertainment, that's all. When you start fucking over the majority of your cash cows, that's when you have to worry. However, as long as the profit margin is always high, gaming companies don't really care what their games are like as long as they're making money. It's all in the hands of the gamers. Bullshit like this wouldn't even enter into developers' minds if there weren't a market for it. Gamers should blame themselves for being such pathetic sheep if this were to ever happen because they are the market. All we have to do is stop buying their products and it will go away.

Honestly, EA only makes a handful of games that appeal to me, so I really couldn't care less about their practices. I like the Battlefield series, the Mass Effect series, the MoH series, NCAA Football, and SWTOR, and out of all of those my two favorites, SWTOR and ME, are Bioware. I could easily live without any of those games, as there are tons of other great developers out there. EA simply isn't that big of a threat to me.

In short, no one gives a shit about your opinion as a gamer as long as you pay for the product. This is something most gamers just don't understand. If people will pay for poop, why blame the guy selling poop?

What that says is consumers should not demand things, they should just buy products unquestionably.

Bethesda isn't in it for the money. They give us the creation kit for free after launch (imagine how much EA would charge for such a thing), patches that add new things like magic kill cams (for free), they're making good expansion sized DLC now instead of giving us an armor and weapon set and charging for it, ala Bioware. I mean, obviously they want to make money to provide for themselves, but they make games because they love making games. Same with Obsidian.

Anyway. Dragon's Dogma looks promising.

Last edited by a moderator:
What that says is consumers should not demand things, they should just buy products unquestionably.

Bethesda isn't in it for the money. They give us the creation kit for free after launch (imagine how much EA would charge for such a thing), patches that add new things like magic kill cams (for free), they're making good expansion sized DLC now instead of giving us an armor and weapon set and charging for it, ala Bioware. I mean, obviously they want to make money to provide for themselves, but they make games because they love making games. Same with Obsidian.

Anyway. Dragon's Dogma looks promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmox6rdpiog

I'm not saying that EA isn't a piece of shit company that only cares about how much they can fuck over people, and I agree that gamers should demand the best from their developers. However, Bethesda is about the worst company in the world for delivering buggy, unfinished games and putting them out with the plan that they'll fix everything with patches. The reason they do this is to stay competitive in the market with the timing of their releases.

Believe me, everything every developer does is to make money. The programmers, writers, and testers may love gaming, but the heads of these companies want money. If that weren't true, then every gaming company would be indie. That's not to say that they're not great companies that care about their products, but don't fool yourself into believing that these companies care what people think as long as they're buying their games.

The only gaming company who truly doesn't care what people think and puts their games out when THEY want to AND when they're finished is Blizzard.

The only gaming company who truly doesn't care what people think and puts their games out when THEY want to AND when they're [almost] finished is Blizzard.

Fixed. Don't believe for a second that D3 won't be majorly patched within the first eight weeks. Blizzard is good about stalling on releasing games simply because a) they are usually working on multiple big projects at once and b) they've gotten away with it this long because c) their name is like "the" name brand for computer games and most people can expect a quality product. If they just started in the buisiness ten years ago, they would never get away with some of the shit they do. It's all based off of a rep. They get away with it, because those in control know they will make even more money in the end from anticipation and hype alone.

Every single video game, no matter who develops it, is gonna be buggy on launch. How buggy depends on the dev. Bethesda is still rolling out 150 mb patches nearly 5 months later because they know that they make really awesome games and that people will play them no matter how buggy they are. All I'm saying is that Blizzard rarely, if ever, has any game-breaking bugs like so many others, and this is due to their patience and commitment to quality launches. I think what you're trying to say is they can AFFORD to be patient, whereas others may not have that luxury. And you'd be right.

Honestly, I think Ubisoft fucks up a whole helluva lot more than EA does.

Oh, I agree with you completely. I was just arguing technicalites is all. :) When Blizzard finally releases something, it's almost always guaranteed to be ultra polished, and typically without any kind of game breaking bugs. But you kind of should expect that when each title takes between two to six years.

Also, for those that care: http://www.osirisguide.com/diablo-2-vs-diablo-3-a-running-list-of-differences/

So, what exactly would be the point of the normal ladder system now? It seems like you'll be level restricted for joining public games, and you also won't be able to gain massive experience by yourself against bosses. I understand the reasoning for a lot of these changes, and think that even though some of them are pandering a bit too much, they are for the better. But, it just seems like the only thing ladder is going to mean now is /played. Hardcore seems like the only ladder that will matter now; which suits me fine since it's where I was primarily wanting to play anyway.