Gaming Thread

I've been thinking about buying another PS2 to play that masterpeice again.

Devil Survivor is a lot like it both in terms of premise and atmosphere. It's also the only other SMT game that made me feel like I was a demi-god.

n1dkc7.jpg

As a side note, I only noticed the Badass bonus points around level 12, HAHA! I was wondering why my damage was so abysmal.

That's pretty funny. I think I was somewhere around that level as well when I finally checked out the medal icon. And in case you didn't already know this: all of your medal bonuses carry over to new characters on the same account. When you start a new character, they can also start the badass ranks from scratch to stack even more bonuses.

No spoilers, I promise.

If you're playing Nocturne on hard mode then stop right now and start a new game, because that's nothing. Although...he is one of the most unfair bosses in terms of grind requirements.

Remember the True Demon Ending I kept talking about? He is one of 8 fiends you have to defeat to unlock it. He is, however, the only one of those fiends that is not optional. But the real challenge, is getting through the Lambrynth (a completly optional huge dungeon which is basically hell itself.) You unlock parts of it as you progress through the game. I think it has 5 floors, total. Defeating those fiends is required to unlock it, and some of them are completly missable, so I reccomend using a guide.

You should aim for the True Demon Ending for several reasons.

1.You get an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.
2.The "Reasons" you have to choose from if you don't (that I named my song after) are all pretty flawed.
3.Extra boss fights and Dante.

Very Important

I remember you telling me you like fighter type characters. Eventually you will learn a skill called "Pierce." Do not let your character forget it. And again, either choose to be a fighter or a mage, don't put points into both. And don't ignore agility.

As for Matador...

This is the only game in my entire life where buffs and debuffs matter. Even against bosses. Use them to your full advantage. Matador was much easier when I kept debuffing the hell out of him. I think you can do it three times before it stops affecting him. He will eventually get rid of them, when he does, cast them again.

I had one character buffing, one debuffing, and one healing, while only one attacked. Then the next turn, I did the same thing, except my attacker healed. It was a very slow process, but it worked.

You have to grind like crazy in Nocturne, there's no getting around it. You can't train old demons, either. You have to constantly fuse new ones. It's been a few years, so my numbers might be wrong, but I think I was 12 or 13 when I fought him, and I had to grind my way up to 16 or 17.

Alright John thanks, let's see...

- I'm on Normaru Modo, so I won't have to restart :D

- I'll be going for the True Demon ending, yeah (optional dungeon, optional bosses, optional demons = more content)

- I know about Pierce, and I'll definitely keep it in my skill list. I'm assigning my points in a balanced way, spreading them out evenly for now.

- I tried debuffing Matador, but he just casts Dekunda every chance he gets, and since my characters don't have too much MP, they're usually spent after three or four -nda casts.

So I'll have to go back to the grind then. :D

I suppose I'll finally have to get rid of Angel since she's weak to Force and causes extra Press Turns for Matador. :(

Thanks man :)

Ground a bit, got some force-resistant demons, and whaled the tar out of Matador! :D

Not sure what level you fought him, but once you can use a Megami Uzume (Level 18...I think), that helps a lot as does getting Fog Breath from a Beast Inugami. You could also opt to level up a creature that has War Cry. The problem with that fight though is that debuffing the boss doesn't seem to matter as much as simply removing Red Capote with a stone since after 3-4 turns he simply removes everything you did with him anyway, wasting a lot of press turns in the process. There's also a magatama that you can purchase that grants you force resistance. I know you said that you beat him, but just saying for future reference.

I haven't finished my own playthrough of that yet, because I've been playing Borderlands. Right now I am saved in the third Kalpa, fighting round two of someone in particular that I won't mention. He's completely destroying me too. :(

Glad to hear it, man.

I beg you to recondiser your point distribution, though. Later in the game you're going to end up with a demi fiend who is much weaker than his demons.

Only between strength and magic. All the other attributes are still important. (I don't remember what luck does, but I know it was fairly important)

Good strength demons aren't hard to find, I would go magic for more chance at turn presses through elemental weakness and more debuffs, but either one is fine. A mage demi fiend may have a lightning spell, an ice spell, etc. So he has more chances of being able to turn press. A strength demi fiend gets some cool stuff, though. Aoe attacks, and I think the "almighty" spells were strength based. And of course, he doesn't have to worry about mana.

However, almost every strength attack is that same boring punching animation. Man, that really drove me crazy.

There's no point in doing both since it's a turn based game. You're going to be doing less damage per round, and having less survivability because you had to spread your points thin when they could have gone into your endurance.

I tried to make my demi fiend balanced and really started to regret it half way through. It's definitly do-able, I did it. But it's pointless.

This applies to every SMT game, especially Devil Survivor and Digital Devil Saga. Not as much with Devil Summoner.

Luck affects the amount/quality of items dropped from enemies as well as (assumedly) your critical chance.

Strength vs Magic is pretty much a preference. John isn't wrong about Strength Demons being relatively easy to find, but then neither is fusing some good Magical Fiends (Daisouju can have pretty much every possible good debuff you need and Red Rider/Harlot are fantastic casters). Daisouju can be fused to have: Makatora (infinite MP to the group), Makakaja, Fog Breath, War Cry (to be replaced with debilitate later), Dekunda and Dekaja. Oh, and it gets Prayer too, which is a full heal for the party that also removes all status effects.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/582958-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/49457472?page=1 (Scroll down to Master LL's post for the formula).

There are also a handful of abilities that only the player can get that are considered some of the best in the game, and they are for a strength based character; although you can technically max out your stats either by grinding or by exploiting the lucky ticket (spend at least 1k and get 1 ticket, after 10 you get to open a mysterious box which can hold an incense).

As far as what stats you should be giving priority though, agi and luck should be at the bottom of the list, with Str/Mag (whatever you decide) being first. You do need some Vit, but it's only slightly more important if you decide to go Str, because Str has a lot of skills that either eat your health to deal damage, or their max damage is based upon your max health. Other than those skills though, Vit doesn't really need to be focused on until the later half of the game. I think My character sat at around 8 vit (only increasing via magatama) and never worried about dying except against expel/death attacks if I wasn't prepared for them. My character was a Str based character, but I had Tornado as well as Force Boost on him for a loooooong time, and after I got the Daisouju, pretty much every non boss fight ended as soon as the Demi-Fiend had his turn. So even if you go Str, you will want to have at least one area of effect damage spell (Can't really beat Tornado until much later on).

Agility is to help you dodge and to bump up your turn in the group order, but in general it doesn't matter. You get more dodge out of a group buff or enemy debuff, so it really only affects your order. You will however want to raise your Str/Mag/Luck to at least 15 by the time you are about two-thirds of the way through due to it being a requirement for something.

FYI boys, Valve is about to go Gangnam Style.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/26/w...n-and-ncsoft-buy-blockbuster-publisher-valve/

Will Asian online game publishers Nexon and NCSoft buy blockbuster publisher Valve?

Nexon and NCsoft, two major Asian online game companies, are reportedly in talks with U.S. gamemaker Valve to buy the company for more than $893 million, according to a major Korean publication.

I hope by now you know that this is not only rumor, it's impossible to believe if you read the article. Read up before you post garbage like this :lol: