Gaming Thread

Hah. I actually didn't know anything about the one time use shit. I thought you were just complaining about the existence of it at all. Also, glad that I didn't really understand the hype behind No Man's Sky from the start. It just seemed like yet another boring "open world, do nothing of importance" type of game to me.

Similarly with the RE7 demos. Capcom is saying that it will have the gameplay of the originals, but in first-person. Yet, everything they've shown shows it to be nothing but yet another boring as hell hide and seek simulator like Outlast or Alien Isolation; neither of which plays anything like RE 1-4. I was intrugued when they revealed it, but they've shown nothing yet that leads me to believe the game will be anything other than suck.

19gm5g.jpg

Also...

I'm beginning to come around to that mindset as well. Open world games are great as long as they fill them with something to do, such as GTA V...single player. Multiplayer is a grindy borefest. However, I'd rather play something like Mass Effect that's just a massive map where you have different stages chock-full of stuff instead of one, big, open world where you have to search for days to find something meaningful to do. This is why I don't mind good themepark MMOs. I loved SWTOR, it's just that early mistakes cursed it. Eve Online is an open universe but every single system is an instance, so it's not open world like NMS. The Witcher 3 is a perfect example of how to do open world games.

Also, can developers knock off all the zombie shit already? 99% of the zombie games are total shit. It's either stupid action games or open world P2W shit like H1Z1 or DayZ. I love survival games but there has to be something else out there with zombies that's not a cash-grab jumping on the zombie bandwagon. A lot of people hated it but I LOVED State of Decay, and I'm thrilled they're coming out with Part 2. The combat was pretty weak and the zombies were kinda repetitive but I loved the mood and survival system where you control a community and anyone can die at any time.

NMS, it almost feels like a badge of honor to have bought that game. It's like our own not-so-private joke that we can bitch about and throw shit at endlessly for being such a terrible, terrible, awful mess and how we all got so fucked. The only people who defend the game are stoners who say shit like, "Dude, it's really cool and chill if you're drunk or blazing one..." They're literally saying you have to be on drugs to enjoy the game.

Mack said it's a fun game but gave it a thumbs down just because of the store. I don't understand it but at the same time I do. It's more of a show of solidarity against this type of bullshit in the gaming industry rather than an actual thumbs down for gameplay.

Also Mack, it's Deus, as in "day oos", not "deuce".

one, big, open world where you have to search for days to find something meaningful to do.
Have you tried the Saints Row games? GTAV is widely laughed at as being a whole lot of nothingness and bullshit minigames and all that, but SR doesn't have that problem. There's lots of stuff to do. Instead of boasting about playable surface, the Saints Row games made sure that while the surface is smaller, it's packed with much more things to do. Should really give them a whirl if you haven't already.

Yeah, I played pretty much all of them, and they are fun for a while but it's just so silly and repetitive that it struggles to keep my attention. The first 10 hours or so are great but after that I get kinda bored of it.

Have you tried the Saints Row games? GTAV is widely laughed at as being a whole lot of nothingness and bullshit minigames and all that, but SR doesn't have that problem. There's lots of stuff to do. Instead of boasting about playable surface, the Saints Row games made sure that while the surface is smaller, it's packed with much more things to do. Should really give them a whirl if you haven't already.

I've always considered trying the Saints Row games, but I could never bring myself to. Mostly because I just have an adverse reaction most of the time when I think about playing any of the GTA/RDR (GTA with horses) or practially any modern Ubisoft game. Was actually thinking about Sleeping Dogs as well. But just...ughhhhh.

latest

Also, can developers knock off all the zombie shit already? 99% of the zombie games are total shit. It's either stupid action games or open world P2W shit like H1Z1 or DayZ. I love survival games but there has to be something else out there with zombies that's not a cash-grab jumping on the zombie bandwagon. A lot of people hated it but I LOVED State of Decay, and I'm thrilled they're coming out with Part 2. The combat was pretty weak and the zombies were kinda repetitive but I loved the mood and survival system where you control a community and anyone can die at any time.

What's funny is, I grew up on horror movies, and loved it when video games implemented movie monsters from the 80s (or the classics). The first game that I can remember playing that had a movie monster was a game simply called Dracula that was on the Intellivision. I think that was it until a decade later when Resident Evil arrived (although I did play Alone in the Dark before that, but we could never tell if the furry hopping thing was supposed to be a werewolf or a duck billed platypus...), which was full of zombies. To this day, the Resident Evil games are still the one of the few video game franchises where I'm not sick of the zombies. As you say, they are beyond stale at this point, and I really don't know what caused such a surge in their popularity. I'd say maybe it was The Walking Dead, but there were plenty of zombie based games (where it made no sense other than "surprise zombies!") already out before then.

Have any of you played, and enjoyed any of the Resident Evil games? I'm still a big fan of 1,2, REmake and 4. In addition to Resident Evil 7 (which I'm not going to get my hopes up for), Capcom also announced last year that they are currently also working on REmake 2. I hope they don't fuck it up too much, since RE2 was easily one of my favorite games of all time.

Mack said it's a fun game but gave it a thumbs down just because of the store. I don't understand it but at the same time I do. It's more of a show of solidarity against this type of bullshit in the gaming industry rather than an actual thumbs down for gameplay.

Also Mack, it's Deus, as in "day oos", not "deuce".

I used to pronounce it like "deuce" as well. Back in 2000. For like a week, until it bothered me enough to actually look up the correct pronunciation since that didn't seem right. Anyway, even if you don't decide to get the game right away (price drop, optimization), you shouldn't skip out on it if you enjoyed the first game, and "solidarity" isn't going to really do much in terms of culling the DLC avalanche. If nothing else, you could always just go the alternative route you were considering if it ever becomes viable.

It really is an improvement in most areas, especially the combat. Although it does have this odd thing with NPCs, as though they didn't have enough time to flesh the world out better. All of the main NPCs look vastly more detailed than the non essential, atmosphere models. And that lip syncing...

I watch Joe, and while he usually ends up being not critical enough of games and too easy on them, he was spot-on with NMS.

I actually like Joe, despite the fact that sometimes he can get really grating with his gushing. Speaking of which, have any of you bothered to play Dragon's Dogma yet? The console versions were still pretty good, although extremely flawed on a technical level. It was released on PC last December and it's the version fans of the game had been begging for a few years for. Runs extremely well, and I still say it's one of the best single player RPGs next to the Mass Effect series, with some of the funnest combat EVER for this kind of game. Plus, if you're into playing a caster of any type, this is the game to play if you want to feel like a really powerful Sorcerer. Not only do the spells have some of the most visceral animations, the feedback is awesome.

(A.I. ALOGARHYTHMS!)

He's not wrong about the story, although fast travel was greatly fixed in the expansion (which comes with the PC version). This also effectively cuts out pawn chatter a bit too. He would probably end up giving the game an 8/10 or even 9/10 if he had reviewed the PC version. Too many people really are sleeping on this game. It only sold 1.6 million...

Last edited:
I will definitely check that out.

And yes, I am a big RE fan, although they kinda lost their way lately. I think the last one I played (and I'm still not finished) is RE6.

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. Although quite a few people are having problems getting a refund playing even four hours for some reason. That's why I didn't bother posting this myself.

I tried twice already but the automatic bot rejects it over two hours. However, if you put in an actual customer service ticket they said it's much more probable. I put in a ticket yesterday and I'm still waiting.

That's close to the one I ended up with (got the model that they made after the FTW), and I had to wait three weeks after the RMA was accepted for it to arrive. Although overall it took a bit over two months. What sucks though is the rare occasion that you play a game where you're actually CPU bound. The fucking 4670k that I have is one of the worst overclockers that I've ever owned. I can't get it beyond 4.0ghz, which is terrible. I even bought water cooling for that piece of shit (mostly for noise/mobility though).

That specific model had a real bin lottery with the chips, because the overall average with them is around 4.4ghz. Fortunately, there's only a single game that I have right now where the CPU ever causes a loss of frames, and I'll probably be upgrading in two years anyway.

I'm trying to play Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen again, but it's a pain in the ass with all the underclocking and patches and shit you have to do to this game to make it run today. They seriously need to do a reboot of that game. Not a sequel. Not another chapter. A no-shit, true-to-form Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen reboot, complete with isometric gameplay. The over-the-shoulder gameplay is sometimes nice but I want a reboot.

I can't tell the difference between the 40 fps before and the 120 fps after in the vid. Might be the upload. Now that everything's getting more and more CPU heavy again after 20 years, what with the leaps forward in multiplayer and open world gameplay, I'm gonna have to hold off on one of those monsters.

If I'm getting 40 fps I'm happy, especially in a graphically intensive game. 60 is optimal, obviously, but if my gameplay is fluid I can look past the millisecond of slowdown that I would miss anyway if I didn't have the counter enabled.

Which is why I don't enable FPS counters.

Well this is the dumbest shit ever. Sony just announced the PS4 "Pro", which is the refresh model with nearly double the processing power to play games (upscaled from 1440p) at 4K, and also better performance on some of the games that have already been released. All of the PS4s (not just the Pro) will be getting an update to support HDR.

The PS4 Pro does not come with a UHD player, and costs $400. Sony created the format, and Microsoft already has a UHD player in its $300 Xbone S unit. Seriously, what the fuck?