Gaming Thread

TW3 is really ahead of its time, both in quality and graphically. I've already started thinking how I'm going to build my next PC, but I'm still not sure it will be ready for Hairworks no matter what I put into it.

I just read the PC reviews on Steam for the new Deus Ex. LOL @ an in-game store for a SINGLE PLAYER GAME. Man, these game companies just keep getting worse and worse. 5 praxis points for $3.99...WHY EVEN HAVE A GAME WHERE YOU MAKE DECISIONS IF YOU CAN JUST BUY EVERYTHING! I'm SO glad I didn't buy this thing.

But wait, there's more! Apparently, the DLC content is used up AFTER ONLY ONE SAVE! That's right, if you decide to replay the game again with a different play style, the DLC you bought is gone. This could be a bug but judging by the fact that there's an in-game freemium store FOR A SINGLE PLAYER GAME, it's dubious.

This is why we pirate things.

I haven't looked on the Steam store yet, but this is what it is on the consoles. Seems even worse.

RtDRZWh.png

I don't really get your complaint though. Aside from the two weapons (that most likely won't even differ from what you can find in the game, and you just get them early), there's nothing here that changes the game. It's for people that want to essentially pay for an easier time. It's no different than any F2P game. Unless you just have no self-control, this won't affect you. At least not while playing this game anyway.

It's kind of funny where we are today though in terms of "DLC". I called this shit when horse armor for Oblivion was first introduced. This kind of stuff used to be the bonuses you would get for completing a game in a specific way (without being ushered towards doing it with an achievement cookie).

Last edited:
I don't really get your complaint though. Aside from the two weapons (that most likely won't even differ from what you can find in the game, and you just get them early), there's nothing here that changes the game.

Seriously? You can't see the complaint? You don't think that buying a Praxis kit with real money is lame?The complaint is that it's a single-player game and these bonuses are for the single-player feature. In multiplayer games you have freemium stuff but it doesn't make it easier for you; that's called golden ammo and is P2W. The only reason they get away with it here is because there's no competition. Game companies have gone under because of golden ammo because it puts you at an unfair advantage. A Praxis kit you can buy definitely changes the game. It makes you more powerful than the devs programmed the game to be. It's a fucking cheat that you're buying with real money. Years ago, if you wanted to cheat in a game you just went into the console for it.

But you know what? If gamers are THAT stupid that they'll pay money for a Praxis kit, they deserve it.

It's for people that want to essentially pay for an easier time

That's EXACTLY why it's bogus. Why make a game at all if you can just buy your way through it? Had this been SWTOR or Eve or WoW or any other MMO, there would be a massive retaliation and someone would probably lose his or her job. They're getting away with it because it's single-player and there's no competition, ergo no backlash.

It won't change how I play the game or anything, and the game has gotten good reviews so far, so as soon as they optimize it better I'll probably get it as well. I'm just saying that it's really pathetic for Square Enix to pull this shit on Deus Ex.

Last edited:
God, what the fuck is this shit? Someone posted just the top ten, and I thought "Wow, that's an incredibly accurate list". Not necessary as far as numerical order goes (how do you rank something that might be equally influential anyway?), but simply the games listed. Then I took at look at the bottom 40. It makse NO SENSE AT ALL.

http://time.com/4458554/best-video-games-all-time/

Seriously? You can't see the complaint? You don't think that buying a Praxis kit with real money is lame?The complaint is that it's a single-player game and these bonuses are for the single-player feature. In multiplayer games you have freemium stuff but it doesn't make it easier for you; that's called golden ammo and is P2W. The only reason they get away with it here is because there's no competition. Game companies have gone under because of golden ammo because it puts you at an unfair advantage. A Praxis kit you can buy definitely changes the game. It makes you more powerful than the devs programmed the game to be. It's a fucking cheat that you're buying with real money. Years ago, if you wanted to cheat in a game you just went into the console for it.

But you know what? If gamers are THAT stupid that they'll pay money for a Praxis kit, they deserve it.

Don't put words into my mouth. I didn't say that it wasn't lame, only that it doesn't affect you in any way.

That's EXACTLY why it's bogus. Why make a game at all if you can just buy your way through it? Had this been SWTOR or Eve or WoW or any other MMO, there would be a massive retaliation and someone would probably lose his or her job. They're getting away with it because it's single-player and there's no competition, ergo no backlash.

This is a pretty tired argument, and it's not one you're ever going to win. I gave up caring a long time ago. It still doesn't affect you, and I honestly don't know why you're outraged or surprised in the slightest. This kind of shit has been going on since 2006. While I'm not trying to excuse this in any way, AAA games are ridiculously expensive to make today. Part of it is because of how much they spend on advertising compared to the actual game itself, and another is because of deadlines and how many people they have working on them. A lot of this seems like budget mismanagement, but it's something that's been happening with pretty much ALL of the major developers since last gen, and seems to only be getting worse. They need to find a way to offset some of the costs in case the game doesn't sell the necessary 5+ million just to break even, so this is the kind of stuff they add.

Anyway, the DLC for this particular game anyway isn't anything to give a shit about. I don't know if you remember my complaints about Human Revolution when it was released, but in that game it was super easy to get all of the really good augments before half of the game was over, and you basically had a surplus of Praxis to get the "whatever" augments that don't really do much of anything for you, depending on your playstyle. I don't see it being much different here either. It's not like that game was so difficult that you couldn't beat it with less than 10 augments anyway, or any at all for that matter. I just finished the Director's Cut, and bought every single augment (some of which cost 2 Praxis to activate) but six. Six that I had zero use for in any way. And I don't just mean six different augments, I'm talking about six augment levels. Everything else was maxed out.

Also, from what I've heard, you can actually do the VR type missions that aren't a part of the main game to earn 1-2 Praxis kits anyway to use at the start of the game.

It won't change how I play the game or anything, and the game has gotten good reviews so far, so as soon as they optimize it better I'll probably get it as well. I'm just saying that it's really pathetic for Square Enix to pull this shit on Deus Ex.

The game is actually pretty damn optimized now. The early benchmarks had some bogus shit going on. If you look at the various options and benchmarks from what I posted, you should be able to get it running at 60fps with at least still better than console graphics if you want, or just turn up the eye candy and go for 30fps. The biggest performance killers right now are the AA options (so just keep it off with this game until you get a new PC), contact hardening, volumetric lighting, textures and shadow quality. Just turning down contact hardening and volumetric lighting to ON instead of Ultra nets up to 15fps, and setting shadow quality to high instead of ultra gives another 5fps or so. For textures, there's barely a noticeable difference between high and ultra in terms of the way it looks, but a huge difference for performance.

Last edited:
except it's not F2P, it's already 60 bucks. You could have expected to obtain the full game for that price...

Yes! This!

F2P means the game is free, you just pay for either content or vanity items. P2W, however, is where you pay to have an unfair advantage, i.e., Praxis for real money. The entire reason to level up is for ability upgrades, which is what Praxis gives you. If Deus Ex were a multiplayer game, it would be the epitome of P2W...ONLY THE GAME ALREADY COSTS 50 BUCKS, HAHA!

How can you not see anything wrong with this? I know only the player is affected, but are you just enjoying the game too much to admit that Square Enix is being ridiculous?

It doesn't affect me because I'm not stupid enough to pay money for a Praxis kit. Apparently someone out there is because they wouldn't have them otherwise.

I get what you're saying, that it doesn't affect us because we're not retarded...I just think it's ridiculous.

How can you not see anything wrong with this? I know only the player is affected, but are you just enjoying the game too much to admit that Square Enix is being ridiculous?

LOL. To me this just reads as "I'm not going to waste money on this, because it's not like I need it, but I'm going to be pissed anyway because the option to make the game easier exists, and if I want to use it, I have to pay for it!".
Another thing is that Square isn't the developer for the game, Eidos is. Square is the one just fronting all of the money. Typically shit like this is publisher pushing, and not the developer trying to milk anyone. EA has been the king of this for years, followed closely by Ubisoft.

The reason you keep seeing this crap anyway is because it works. As long as people buy this stuff, publishers are going to keep pushing it. I also honestly don't care unless they are pulling some shit where they release a game with the DLC content ON THE FUCKING DISC and claim that it's something that they are still working on, only to charge you a few months later for "new content". That's an example of charging full price for part of a game, even when the entire game is finished. DLC also ended up replacing the classic expansion. Instead of paying $20 - $40 for a ton of content, they started dividing all of that content up to where you end up having to pay double or triple what it used to cost.

This is why as of today, the only DLC I have ever purchased was for the Souls games (entirely worth it too, and the closest to the classic expansion we've had since 2006) and a few costumes for Street Fighter 4. That's it.

Last edited:
I'm not pissed, I just find it ridiculous.

Right, and Square is the publisher, right? I didn't say Eidos is fucking up, I said Square was, just like EA did with Bioware and SWTOR.

I didn't say I wasn't going to buy it, I said I'm going to hold off for now until things get ironed out. It depends on denuvo.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about copy protection measures for the last decade, but what does it really affect other than the ability to pirate a game or play it offline (although with Steam you can play it offline without any issues)? I've seen complaints about instability, or other random issues, but I've honestly never had a problem yet.

Right, and Square is the publisher, right? I didn't say Eidos is fucking up, I said Square was, just like EA did with Bioware and SWTOR.

Your initial complaints just seem to be angry about being able to pay to make the game easier, as though the developer had anything to do with that. I don't know for a fact that they didn't, only that in most cases it's the publisher wanting this kind of stuff.

Ah no I'm not angry at all, just relieved I didn't take the plunge. I think it's ridiculous that this sort of thing exists, is all. I mean, it's one thing if it's a F2P MMO, but an entirely different thing in SP.

That whole "use DLC once and throw away" is total bullshit, however. I'm hoping that's a bug.

As far as the copy protection, I meant it depends how long it takes someone to crack denuvo whether I buy it or not. Many times I just try it out and then go buy it to support the company, but I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I'm kinda gun shy after No Man's Sky.

FWIW, it is essentially Human Revolution Redux, but a) it looks a lot better and b) the combat is a lot more varied and doesn't just put a heavy emphasis on stealth like HR did. In fact, you can actually play it pretty close to a Vanguard from Mass Effect 2 and 3 now if you want. And why wouldn't you want to?!

That whole "use DLC once and throw away" is total bullshit, however. I'm hoping that's a bug.

???

Are you saying that once you buy credits or Praxis kits and use them, they are gone forever? I was assuming they would work once every playthrough, not just one activation.

Also!

01c2087717.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Winter
FWIW, it is essentially Human Revolution Redux, but a) it looks a lot better and b) the combat is a lot more varied and doesn't just put a heavy emphasis on stealth like HR did. In fact, you can actually play it pretty close to a Vanguard from Mass Effect 2 and 3 now if you want. And why wouldn't you want to?!

???

Are you saying that once you buy credits or Praxis kits and use them, they are gone forever? I was assuming they would work once every playthrough, not just one activation.

Also!

01c2087717.jpg

Ha! I WAS GONNA POST THAT SAME THING I SAW ON REDDIT!

DOWN 90%. They deserve it, the fuckers. We're gonna end up getting our money back, I don't see them implementing what needs to be implemented before they're slapped with a lawsuit or an incredibly damning reputation. But then again, they made tons of money off of it, so they may just say fuck it and call it a day.

For Deus Ex: all the consumables in the DLCs are, well, consumed on one use and only one use. They do not carry over to your next save/playthrough. You still keep the weapons, apparently.

That's what I was talking about. Do you see now why I was so flabbergasted?

As far as the NMS count, it's actually the number of people playing at the same time, not indicative of how many stopped playing altogether.......although it's probably close to that. But all the gamer news outlets are reporting things like Far Cry Primal and others that dropped close to that at one month.

ONE MONTH.

NMS has been out two weeks.

LOL

I'm calling it now: No Man's Sky will be the catalyst to bring back Blockbuster video just for the video game rentals. It'll be Blockbuster Video Games or something like that. Obviously for consoles.

There are so many shitty video game companies and practices these days that I easily foresee some sort of return to renting video games again. These studios, devs, and publishers have finagled their way around advertising and demos to the point where you have to play well past a demo-length video game to determine whether or not it's a good game. Trading in is ridiculous and advertising is just a blatant lie at this point.

That's what I was talking about. Do you see now why I was so flabbergasted?

Hah. I actually didn't know anything about the one time use shit. I thought you were just complaining about the existence of it at all. Also, glad that I didn't really understand the hype behind No Man's Sky from the start. It just seemed like yet another boring "open world, do nothing of importance" type of game to me.

Similarly with the RE7 demos. Capcom is saying that it will have the gameplay of the originals, but in first-person. Yet, everything they've shown shows it to be nothing but yet another boring as hell hide and seek simulator like Outlast or Alien Isolation; neither of which plays anything like RE 1-4. I was intrugued when they revealed it, but they've shown nothing yet that leads me to believe the game will be anything other than suck.

19gm5g.jpg

Also...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Winter