gas prices ...

they just went up about $0.40 in the last 2 weeks ... but it always happens before major Holidays

Whatever happened to the electric cars? did Honda just stop making those? Fuck hybrids - they still use gas and really not much less than a Corolla. Consumers are to blame though: while engineers have nearly maxed out the efficiency of internal combustion, car buyers demanded the efficiency be offered in horsepower, not mileage. Great examples are the rednecks I work with - the kind of people who drive 303 horsepower Pontiacs but get 20 mpg.

The majority of people that I work with drive brand new S.U.Vs. My co-worker just last week purchased an H3. What the hell are these people thinking?!?! Single adults, with no children, who have never been camping, and are not holding down a construction gig on the side, have no business buying these vehicles. There should be a screening to even be allowed to look at one of these vehicles on the lot. Sir do you have more than 4 children, will you be carrying tools/supplies on a regular basis, are you able to afford $4 a gallon on a V8 gas guzzler that will give you 9mpg city?!?! Satan exists, and his name is consumerism.

062.gif

People outside of NYC STILL won't just drive to their local train station and take the train into the city....they'd rather sit in traffic, pay the toll fees for the bridge or tunnel, then pay $1000 per month for a parking space somewhere...meanwhile, hundreds of trains and buses are going in and out of the city every few minutes half empty. I pay $200 per month to take the train every day. No traffic, no stress, always moving, always reading.

I don't understand what Americans have against using trains (particularly when you have every option to do so). And by the way, these trains are awesome -- clean, air conditioned, great seating.

Hummers are the biggest joke ever. I cant help but actually LOL when I see someone driving one. So you can ford 2 feet of water? Wow, so can a $2000 20 year old lifted Jeep.

I would give anything to ride a train to and from....anywhere.

Gas prices are nearing $4 (I've seen $3.87), all the while citizens who desperately want to show off their faux riches strut around in their H3s and Escalades.I don't know how people can afford a new car. The average yearly cost in gas, insurance, financing, and maintenance is roughly $8,000. That's one God damn expense out of a laundry list of necessities. It's no wonder why obesity has reached epidemic levels, fast food is the only affordable option. If you don't make atleast 80 grand a yr in this city, you're a fucking pauper. Quite sad.

:lol:

So you're just hitting a dollar a litre?

yea, they've been crying since it costed them anything at all. It's great in canada, because we've always paid more, and were always told it was because the american dollar was worth so much. Now we're worth more... and are still paying $1.40 a litre.

WASHINGTON - At a cost of nearly $42 million, the IRS wants you to know: Your check is almost in the mail.

The Internal Revenue Service is spending the money on letters to alert taxpayers to expect rebate checks as part of the economic stimulus plan.

The notices are going out this month to an estimated 130 million households who filed returns for the 2006 tax year, at a cost $41.8 million, IRS spokesman John Lipold confirmed.

That works out to about 32 cents to print, process and mail each letter. It doesn't include the tab for another round of mailings planned for those who didn't file tax returns last year but may still qualify for a rebate.

Democrats accused the Bush administration of wasting time and postage.

"There are countless better uses for $42 million than a self-congratulatory mailer that gives the president a pat on the back for an idea that wasn't even his," Sen. Charles Schumer said Friday, arguing the IRS could more effectively spend the money to catch tax cheats.

Keith Hennessey, director of the president's National Economic Council, said the letters are being sent to explain how the tax rebates will work.

"Any time you do something as a government tens of millions of times, there is ample room for people to get confused. And so if you're going to have tens of millions of taxpayers getting checks, you want to get the information out so that you have as few people as possible confused about what's happening, they understand what's coming, and it reduces the number of incoming requests that IRS and Treasury have to figure out how to deal with it," said Hennessey.

"Dear Taxpayer," the letters will begin, going on to say the IRS is pleased to inform the recipient that Congress passed and President Bush signed into law a plan that will provide payments of up to $600 for individuals who qualify or $1,200 for married couples filing jointly. The rebates are the centerpiece of a $168 billion economic stimulus package.

The actual rebate checks are scheduled to go out starting in May, after the IRS has finished separately mailing out routine refunds for the 2007 tax year.

The letters will be a reminder that people need to file a 2007 tax return so they will receive the rebate if they are eligible for it.

Similar notices will go out later to some Social Security recipients and those who receive veterans benefits — groups that often do not file tax returns.

For those people to get a rebate check, they will need to file a tax return if they received at least $3,000 from a combination of certain Social Security benefits, veterans benefits and earned income. The minimum payment for this group will be $300 for an individual and $600 for a couple filing jointly.

Not everyone will be eligible. Singles with income of more than $75,000 and couples with more than $150,000 get only partial rebates, if any.

People who earn less than $3,000, illegal immigrants and anyone who does not file a tax return will miss out. Singles with incomes exceeding $87,000 and couples with incomes exceeding $174,000 also won't qualify, although those caps rise by $6,000 per child.