Gateway bands

Mudvayne, Slipknot, Lamb of God, I listened to Slayer before I got into death and black metal also.

same here, lol mudvayne is so gay now, same with slipknot, and lamb of god isnt my type anymore.

but i have always listened to iron maiden my entire life, and black sabbath.

Sepultura,Metallica,Slayer,Pantera,Fear Factory,Type O Negative.

Why does the gateway to metal have to be through shitty music? Do we have that low of an opinion of the basic concepts of metal that all it takes is for someone to hear some 70s heavy riffs and all of a sudden they are ready for metal?

How about good gateway music: heavy instrumental or prog rock, experimental ambient and experimental, drone?

Lustmord, Mogwai, Fennesz, Yes, Isis, Earth, Porcupine Tree, Rhys Chatham anyone? All could be considered gateways to metal, and all extremely good. They actually make music that has value, unlike most of the rest of the stuff listed in this thread.

Looking at those bands is probably enough for anyone to understand how I listen to almost exclusively black metal, but maybe I am expecting too much from this crowd.

Do you have to be such a dick?

Hardly anyone here has even heard Lustmord or Fennesz, I've never even heard Rhys Chatham, and the others, while good, get no radio airplay except maybe Yes sometimes (though no one even thinks of them as heavy anymore anyway)...how do you expect modern day metal fans to get into metal via such esoteric bands as these? Really, if you're going to be an ANUS faggot, just turn around and head for the door immediately.

Why does the gateway to metal have to be through shitty music? Do we have that low of an opinion of the basic concepts of metal that all it takes is for someone to hear some 70s heavy riffs and all of a sudden they are ready for metal?

How about good gateway music: heavy instrumental or prog rock, experimental ambient and experimental, drone?

Lustmord, Mogwai, Fennesz, Yes, Isis, Earth, Porcupine Tree, Rhys Chatham anyone? All could be considered gateways to metal, and all extremely good. They actually make music that has value, unlike most of the rest of the stuff listed in this thread.

Looking at those bands is probably enough for anyone to understand how I listen to almost exclusively black metal, but maybe I am expecting too much from this crowd.

wow, you're a pretentious cunt.

Back on topic. I just skipped right into metal with when I heard Bal-Sagoth's Power Cosmic. Before that I listened to only classic/prog rock. I also liked a few glam/80's bands.

I liked God Forbid a lot originally (still do; they're the only really core band I like). I suppose the metalcore genre as a whole can be considered a gateway since it is much more accessible.

My first serious musical interest(outside of random Russian pop/hard rock which I was fed with throughtout my childhood) came about when I discovered Queen in my early teens. Still love 'em to this day.

I see what you're getting at, but how are people going to get into metal through bands that are even more obscure than most black metal?

Rush is probably a better choice.

It has to be popular and catchy to really be a gateway. Popular because it has to be easy to get in to, catchy so they can listen to it.

I have a lot of respect for Queen. I couldn't get myself into all the lighthearted stuff, unfortunately (I like darker music), but I smelt creativity and talent from them a thousand miles away just by listening to a few of their works. It's not everyday that such an exceptional band like them exists.

My gateway bands were Meshuggah, Blind Guardian and Lamb of God (the middle one which I still love), and I am proud to say that I never really delved much into the usual metalcore/nu-metal stuff that a lot of people get into metal through.

Also, listening to a lot of film scores and game soundtracks gave me a love for ambience/atmospherics that would later influence my choices of metal (black/symphonic stuff).
I liked Nu Metal but never Metalcore, even today I'd prefer listening to Nu Metal over the usual As I Lay Dying/Killswitch Engage Metalcore. Nu Metal seems to be divided into your more rap based hard rock types(Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit. Linkin Park) and more agressive metallish types(Mudvayne, Slipknot, even Disturbed and Korn to an extent). I listened to both types of Nu Metal in my early teens/pre-teens as I was into rap music a lot more at the time then as well, I don't listne to the rap based rock type of Nu Metasl anymore, but if early Mudvayne or Slipknot is on Xm I will most likely listen to it.