Gear Talk with Kristian!

How about using a stereo chorus/flanger like the EHX electric mistress at very subtle seetings in order to make your mono tracks more 3-dimensional? Also, EHX made loads of synth-like stuff that could be really cool to play around with (POG, HOG, etc) which I'm digging at the moment (though I haven't afforded any of it yet, priorities!).

Chorus or synth? I'm curious now! :)

BTW, coming to Sthlm some time this year to visit Therion while they are recording their new album, so I'll save up some dough for a lesson or two from you. Just so you know!

I think the POG might make a guest appearance on one of the songs :)

So, Chris decided to record in Stockholm after all eh? Alrighty.
But yeah, show up at my doorstep with a guitar and a bag of money and we´ll have fun :p

I think the POG might make a guest appearance on one of the songs :)

So, Chris decided to record in Stockholm after all eh? Alrighty.
But yeah, show up at my doorstep with a guitar and a bag of money and we´ll have fun :p
I think jacob will buy any spare parts you have around.Just take apart a guitar, you don't want anymore, and sell it piece by piece ,you get alot more money that way!

Kristian, I'm curious: How is your guitar setup?

My 540P-II has a slight frontbow in the neck, but last wednesday I played a RG320 with a super straight neck and extremely low action, and it was amazing how many insane tapping things that I could do which I have no chance of getting as clean on my own guitar, so I'm probably going to straighten my neck and put down the strings even further.

My necks are as straight as they can be coz I like that feel a lot, that evenness across the entire fretboard. My guitars generally has pretty low action but the one guitar that I do all my practice on has higher action and weaker pickups so I have to dig in a bit more.
I also have a very cheapo acoustic that has heavy strings, high action AND is tuned up to F#. Try to play some legatostuff on that for 10 minutes and it feels like your hand is about to fall off. Used best in small doses.

Wish I could visit Therion! You just record the solo and then split it into stereo? It sounds like on most of the Therion recordings that the solo is being played twice (one in each speaker). So that is just the effect making it sound that way? I could almost swear there was some microscopic difference between each ear (meaning not the same recording). Though on live I am sure it is two different guitars.

*edit: wait I don't mean the actual lead but certain parts of it*

You actually get to visit them while recording? Able to watch that stuff? I hope they record some more behind the scenes recording to release on DVD.

Low action thats surprising. I thought higher strings you could do more crazy solo stuff. Like that old Ibanez I used to have with the floating strings. It was an awsome solo guitar.

I wrote somewhere that I would like to buy an Ibanez artist. I got a response from a guy who has a 2700 which he bought second hand in 1980, played for a few hours, and stashed away. Gotta go pay him a visit in the upcoming week.
artist.jpg

Also got some other cool stuff that I'll post when I have more time :)

Nice guitar!
I´ve also scored quite a few things, an endorsement with the mighty Blackstar Amps being by far the coolest.
I´ll post more info soon.

For standard tuning, melodies, solos and clean stuff though its a DiMarizo/Seymour Duncan mob scene: Area 58, Full Shred, Minibucker, Super 2, Steves Special, Humbucker from hell, Duncan Distortion, Bluesbucker, Chopper, D Sonic, a Bill Lawrence L500XL....theyre all good for something. In the studio its fun to experiment with shit like this for certain applications but live I´ll stick with EMGs.

Hey Kristian! Long time no talk.

Just wondering how your D-Sonic is or was installed. I have one on the way, might be here in a few weeks. People say it's brighter, tighter and better for low tunings with the solid bar towards the bridge, and more solo-oriented and similar to a Tone Zone with the polepieces towards the bridge.

The Breed in the bridge is a very crunchy pickup and sounds great with Mesa amps, but it has a vintage vibe and too much mids; that's why it has to go. It lacks a little edge. Not sure about the neck model though, because it sounds a bit different when installed with the black cable closer to the neck. Might replace it with an Air Norton, or not.

Have you tried the new DiMarzio D-Activator? Not my kind of pickup, but would fit your needs very well, being a Super 2, Super 3 and EMG user for a long time now.

I had a Duncan Distortion in the bridge of an old Fender. Probably one of the best pickups for powerchords ever.

Keep heavy! :kickass:

Hey Kristian! Long time no talk.

Just wondering how your D-Sonic is or was installed. I have one on the way, might be here in a few weeks. People say it's brighter, tighter and better for low tunings with the solid bar towards the bridge, and more solo-oriented and similar to a Tone Zone with the polepieces towards the bridge.

The Breed in the bridge is a very crunchy pickup and sounds great with Mesa amps, but it has a vintage vibe and too much mids; that's why it has to go. It lacks a little edge. Not sure about the neck model though, because it sounds a bit different when installed with the black cable closer to the neck. Might replace it with an Air Norton, or not.

Have you tried the new DiMarzio D-Activator? Not my kind of pickup, but would fit your needs very well, being a Super 2, Super 3 and EMG user for a long time now.

I had a Duncan Distortion in the bridge of an old Fender. Probably one of the best pickups for powerchords ever.

Keep heavy! :kickass:

Hey man! Yep, looooong time.

I tried the D-Sonic both ways and decided I really didnt like it for anything. Everything it does, an 81 or 85 does it better. Sold it a while ago.

I had Breeds for a while in my Parker a million years ago but it wasnt the sound I was after at the time. Im sure Id like it now, as I seem to gravitate more towards single-coils/low-output pups nowdays for solos.

My brother actually has D Activators in a few of his guitars and he really likes them. I guess theyre DiMarzios version of EMGs. Ive got the real thing so I'll stick with that :p

Duncan Distortions ROCKS!! One badass pickup. Try wiring it in parallel...instant Paul Gilbert! :lol:

Cheers,
/kristian

Hey man! Yep, looooong time.

I tried the D-Sonic both ways and decided I really didnt like it for anything. Everything it does, an 81 or 85 does it better. Sold it a while ago.

I had Breeds for a while in my Parker a million years ago but it wasnt the sound I was after at the time. Im sure Id like it now, as I seem to gravitate more towards single-coils/low-output pups nowdays for solos.

My brother actually has D Activators in a few of his guitars and he really likes them. I guess theyre DiMarzios version of EMGs. Ive got the real thing so I'll stick with that :p

Duncan Distortions ROCKS!! One badass pickup. Try wiring it in parallel...instant Paul Gilbert! :lol:

Cheers,
/kristian

You didn't like the Steve's Special either?

At least when it comes to guitar picks, the search is over. :worship:
http://i7.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/08/f3/cc40_1.JPG

I'll see if I can post some solos on Youtube with the Breeds, comparing normal installation and reverse, and eventually with the D-Sonic and Air Norton, playing of course, Therion solos! :p

If you have a few minutes to hear this, this guy from France switches to the Air Norton in the neck at 1:48 and it flows nicely, very fluid tone.

(not a fan; just dig the live tone)

Cheers!

Leandro

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't like the Steve's Special either?

At least when it comes to guitar picks, the search is over. :worship:
http://i7.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/08/f3/cc40_1.JPG

I'll see if I can post some solos on Youtube with the Breeds, comparing normal installation and reverse, and eventually with the D-Sonic and Air Norton, playing of course, Therion solos! :p

If you have a few minutes to hear this, this guy from France switches to the Air Norton in the neck at 1:48 and it flows nicely, very fluid tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDhyM9rnLMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci07ZeGVALE
(not a fan; just dig the live tone)

Cheers!

Leandro

Yeah man I own the Ultex Jazz IIIS and they are RIDICULOUS.

Hey guys!

Haven't checked in for some time, and was pleasantly surprised to see the D-Activator discussion! I ditched my 81 (only had 1 pickup in the Ironbird I sold) and now have the D-Activator set in my NT (Neck-Thru) Warlock. Couldn't be happier with the results!

I find that the EMGs work great with tube amps, but they didn't work for me cos I end up using solid state amps almost 100% of the time. The bridge D-Activator sounds more balanced, more 'natural' for lack of a better word, and I feel like it has more mids and bottom end in it than the 81. If I used an 85 in the bridge, my opinion on EMGs would most likely differ greatly, but I'm happy with the D-Activators!

As for the neck D-Activator, it's nice and fat sounding, and it has that 'hollow' sound that I like in a neck pickup. The only downside to it is that it would most definitely sound too muddy for guitarists who scoop the mids.

Also, the neck and bridge pickups work very well together. Or maybe it's the great job my guitar tech did to set the pickups at specific heights to have them at the same volume levels.

OK, I'll stop there and spare you guys the agony!

P.S. Kristian, if I may ask, what kind of wah do you use for your solos? You've got an amazing wah tone and your solo in 'Son of the Staves of Time' is a great piece!