[geek]nerd[/geek]

Which one, the firewall or eMule?

Firewalls are pointless btw, as is anti-virus software, if you know
what you're doing that is... oh and you're not on Wirusdows ;)

Right. Need some help here...

For some time now my burn drive has been acting strangely, ie ejecting and pulling back in again repeatedly, sometimes for up to 10-15 minutes, completely on it's own, I haven't touched anything. It still works fine, I can burn cds on it.
However, earlier tonight my dad claims to have found a virus on my computer that's doing this, something like newreplay (1). He claims it's gone now, I can't find it, but the burn drive keeps being a bitch. Dad claims he's read about people who make viruses like this, constructed just to annoy people, but they're for cd-rom drives, not the burning one...
Just did the Symantec Security Scan and it says my computer is ok.
I'm just wondering what the fuck this is, because it's incredibly annoying...

Northern Lights said:
Right. Need some help here...

For some time now my burn drive has been acting strangely, ie ejecting and pulling back in again repeatedly, sometimes for up to 10-15 minutes, completely on it's own, I haven't touched anything. It still works fine, I can burn cds on it.

Well I remember that an old friend of mine had a program that you could open another person's cd-rom drive with as long as it was installed in the other person's computer too. Try running AdAware or do a google search for the file and look for instructions.

@NL
I have a one word cure for your problem: Linux.

But seriously, I would get Ad-Aware and Spybot and run them and
maybe even AVG. And after that, install Firefox and stop using the
IE, oh and run Windows Update too and install all the critical updates.

For AVG you need an email addy for the serial number, the other info you can lie ;)

That does sound like a trojan thing, so try this, log the comp off the internet and
observe it for a while, if this behavior stops, it's most likely a trojan, in that case
AVG should help you out.

I've done the Windows Update and the Ad-Aware, I also scanned the computer with my current anti-virus program, found 2 viruses and removed them and so far it seems to be working alright...
It's been doing this even when it's been offline for a while, with the lovely 56k I usually just turn the modem completely off when I'm not using the internet.

Thanatos said:
I never had a dvd drive in my computer until now, and I just discovered some schmuck decided that I have to set it to only one region code and it will not let me play other region's dvds, so far I've found a program called DVD Region+CSS Free ver 5.16 that does the trick without having to meddle with the drive's settings, but it's a 30 day limited shareware, and so far I've had no lock finding a serial for it in the usual russian sites, just a crack that doesn't work :| any suggestions? salmy, beerbelly?
Hail me on MSN Dude, I MAY (I say 'may') have a solution for you.

right, after fighting with the wireless technology known as bluetooth for a grand total of five hours i think i've got the hang of a part of the whole scenario, but not everything.

1) i managed to correctly establish the desired connection and finally be able to cut mp3's for ringtones and download them onto my phone without needing to borrow computers or PDAs.

2) this operation brought me back to at least 1999 if not before: lots of proprietary software/drivers that must be reconciled together, namely the bluetooth drivers provided by digicom (producer of the usb bluetooth radio), windows' chosen location of bluetooth neighborhood, and the sony ericsson apps designed to allow gprs connection via bluetooth.

3) the crux of the problem, that i took forever to figure out, was that the 'generic usb radio' driver that windows insisted to force on me was not compatible with my hardware, OS's protestations notwithstanding. actually i had to install something that goes by the pretty generic name of "CSR USB Bluetooth Device" and I happened to understand that by a mere stroke of luck, having tried to run the setup program provided by digicom without plugging the radio in order to avoid the dreaded hardware detection. of course the procedure didn't work on its own so i had to combine bits and pieces of different strategies, but now it's up.

4) i cannot connect to the internet, unfortunately. i have a GPRS service on my mobile and it works perfectly fine via WAP, but getting the phone to act as GPRS (packet, NOT dial-up) modem for the PC is terrible. first of all, i had to realize that the correct device wasn't the bluetooth modem, but the "serial modem", meaning that bluetooth emulates a serial port on COM4 and applications might be run with output on that port. (why the fuck is that?). with the "bluetooth modem" (proprietary and all, so it wasn't a question of wrong driver) it refused to work, citing hardware problems. the "serial modem" configuration encounters PPP problems every now and then, but the link is established - only, once i open my browser and type a site name i see that it's working (eg resolving names) but then it all goes awry, because information is sent and not received.

5) which brings me to the final question: HOW THE FUCK DOES THE THING WORK EXACTLY? i don't even have a manual - but i know that now my COM ports run up to 26 (!) because I performed several installations, and even if i uninstalled everything neatly and even removed the ports manually from the device manager they kept on coming back, the bastards. i think i might be more effective in both configuring the utilities and my hardware if i had any idea of how the damn virtual COM ports are defined and why. i mean - why don't other radio-based devices need so many ports? and how come the digicom software installed not one but TWO modem drivers (claiming to have found hardware of all things) when my mobile wasn't even switched on?

ehm, sorry for the rant.

and, spike: no, sp2 has nothing to do with this, but the installation made me waste more time, and i had to turn off all the ridiculous "security" thingies that were being forcefed to me. like i care about having a windows firewall (which probably bars everything but microsoft updates) or an anti-virus sponsored by them. "you don't appear to have an anti-virus software, click this box to solve the problem" my ass.

firefox is just more efficient in the way that netscape used to be (multiple tabs etc), plus it doesn't eat away huge amounts of memory like ie does hence your computer is less likely to crash even if you have a great many windows open. the mozilla engine is a bit more intelligent in general, it doesn't give you as many silly tools if you don't go out of your way to install them, and it results in quicker visualization of pages and increased stability.

i have no idea about .ogg files, though. sorry.

*Reps hyena for promoting Firefox* :D

Child: You should be able to play .ogg files with your usual music playing software (winamp, wmp, etc..) If you can't you'll simply need to download a plug-in that you can easily look for and find.
.ogg is simply a more compact format than mp3 at around the same quality.

EDIT: Hmm.. seems Malaclypse beat me to it..

actually i don't even use firefox, i'm on netscp 7.1, more features and better look.

hyena said:
actually i don't even use firefox, i'm on netscp 7.1, more features and better look.

2 words: extensions and themes.

You meant to say Netscape has pointless bloat like email software and
chat crap that you either never use or can get a better alternative, like
ThunderBird mail :D

See, I like the UNIX way of thinking, make a program do one thing and
make it do that one thing better than anyone else.
Netscape is the way it is, cos it had to compete with MS, another
example of why scatterbraining is not a good idea, you end up sucking
at everything.

Interesting experience installing Linux (Fedora Core 2) and Windows 2000 with
slipstreamed SP4, used the same time on both:

In current state Windows can't even go online, until I spend an hour or so going
thru services and user permissions.
Windows has nothing but base OS installed with SP4 and all updates (which I
had on a CD, I wouldn't be this far if I had to download them too), so in other
words I will spend another 12 hours installing and configuring everything.

Linux, well, I'm writing this on Linux, it's fully updated and ready to go, of course
I will still have to spend time on configuring the system, but right now it's in a good
state.

Which one of these was the fast installing and user friendly OS again?
(Oh, on a slight note, I have no real experience with this Linux version and I have
it on a pretty damn new Centrino Laptop, the only thing that isn't working is some
media stuff, but that is Red Hats "fault" as they are license software paranoid, no
MP3s since it's not totally Open Source.)