[geek]nerd[/geek]

@CoT: did you end up buying the dell? :p

@Miolo: you should tell what do you want the computer for, as what DT 2004 suggested would be overkill for email and writing texts, and btw I'd say more than 1 gig of ram is too much for 90% of people.

@Thanatos: why yes, you're right. what I suggested is more in the enthusiast/hobbyist segment. 1gb of ram is plenty, but it's not too much IMO. :)

if he was looking for a regular desktop he could cut alot of corners, probably save alot as well.

@salmy: thanks, but actually i already have a laptop and it serves its purpose perfectly well for now. i'm looking for a desktop.

@dt 2004: wow, thanks for all that info. my computer knowledge is fairly limited, so in some points of your post i have no idea what the hell you're talking about. :p

@thanatos: you're right. with this new pc i wanna be able to play games decently, but as i'm not really interested in playing online i don't feel like i need a super machine.

@cot: ok. dell won't see a single euro from me. :heh:

Eh, it's not a computer related question, nevertheless still geekified. I'd like to purchase a digital camera very soon but I don't know that much about them and the reviews I read just confuse me more. I may get the Canon Powershot S500 (Digital IXUS 500). Then again, some friends tell me to go for the older ones, and there's yet another who's a Nikon fan. Any help would be appreciated :)

@CoT: as far as I'm concerned, Dell's are not bad computers, even if some hardcore enthusiasts say so, so what's the problem?

@Miolo: well in that case I'd say that what DT recommended is fine, except get 1 gig of ram and upgrade later if necessary, for the processor just take note of the fastest one available and go two models below, athlons are better for gaming and not as expensive as pentium (btw don't get near celerons or semprons), which is better for multitasking, and maybe you will want to get a motherboard with pci express ports, and a video card in the $200-250 range, oh and don't go with funny (non seagata or maxtor) hard drives, as they may die just a month after the warranty expires :mad: :p

Thanatos: it's not the computers that are bad. It's their support/customer care (at least in sweden) that sucks. If you are sure that everything will work smooth from start to finish it might be an idea to buy a dell.

TheFourthHorseman said:
If you're sure that everything will work smooth from start to finish then you should just buy parts. ;)
That's what I said, why are you people buying brand computers? Doesn't make sense whatsoever if you're the only one who's going to use it. Pros of doing-it-yourself: You get ALL the best parts that you picked yourself, and you get the satisfaction of assembling all the stuff, fresh right out of the box. Have you ever smelled a new mainboard? :D And if something needs replacing or upgrading, you just throw out the old stuff and in with the new. Teh Lievv. :Spin:

If you think your computer is going to fail, and therefore rely on support... You should never have bought the damn thing in the first place. Most hardware have some kind of guarantees anyway. :)

DT_2004 said:
That's what I said, why are you people buying brand computers? Doesn't make sense whatsoever if you're the only one who's going to use it. Pros of doing-it-yourself: You get ALL the best parts that you picked yourself, and you get the satisfaction of assembling all the stuff, fresh right out of the box. Have you ever smelled a new mainboard? :D And if something needs replacing or upgrading, you just throw out the old stuff and in with the new. Teh Lievv. :Spin:
I think the reason is that all of this most of the time costs a lot, or a bit, more and you need to at least have some knowledge on computers, despite the fact that the motherboard and the case manuals will just about take you by the hand and place the stuff where they need to be.

Warrants are probably pretty tricky with computers and hardware as well...even though the law is pretty good over here on them as far as I know, I don't think that "I just tried if I could twist it a bit and it broke into two pieces" is going to go too well with the company that sold you the stuff.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is the joke of the day! :D

scopwnzj00.txt

hihihi :lol: