[geek]nerd[/geek]

I appeal to all the geeks&nerds who might be reading this, what we all knew would one day happen finally has- the number of viruses and spyware in my computer is so high, it has actually interfered with my normal internet activities. I need help, fast, before my computer explodes or I lose all my photos etc...

to start, I haven't had *any * sort of virus protection for the last 3 years. Yes yes "but why!" and "but how stupid!" and blabla, regrets are useless. So, a month ago or so I downloaded AVG Free edition just for the hell of it, and also Spybot. I discovered I had like 95 viruses which were taken care of right there and then. But now I have this "wyx" virus in my partition table (MBR) whatever that is, plus like 50 or so trojan thingies that are apparently unremovable.

this would all be fine by me, if it weren't for the fact that pages don't load! UM, miraculously, does, though it takes ageeeeeeeeees (and by ages I mean more than it usually does, so around 10 minutes) to open, and so does hotmail. www.blogger.com opens almost immediately, but gmail.com does not open at all, and neither does google.com

so, is it some sort of selective virus thing? is it even caused by viruses? if I buy norton antivirus, will that take care of all my computer problems, or is it too late for that? I don't think I'll be in any condition to buy it until mid january, so does that mean I should just not turn on my computer until then, so things don't get worse, or does that even have anything to do with it?

:( any advice or comforting words would be appreciated

well, i'm not a computer geek or nerd, but my guess would be that you should start backing up your photos and wanted files as soon as possible, and prepare for a good ol' big format.. :/

If you're on a broadband connection the first thing you need to do is rip out the cable.

Then when you're offline and after you have backed up your files (might I suggest
buying a cheap USB memory stick, if you don't have a CD-burner) run your virus
scanner (which you hopefully have kept updated, if not, update it first. You can get
the update either when still online or if the trojans take up too much bandwidth, you
can get a .zip pack from their site (with another comp) and use that.).

This is of course in the hopes that the trojans are only running/using memory and
slowing the comp to crawl when the comp is online.

Of course you have to run your Spybot after this too, hope you kept that update too,
if not do the same as for the virus scanner.
Also, in Spybot you have this button that says immunize, use it and then install
Firefox and use that instead of SexLoader um I mean Explorer of course ;) SexLoader
is the biggest pile of carbage ever designed and is full of holes that allow spyware to
install even without asking you (and this is even after you update it and patch it).

Of course after you have done this, you need to update you WinBlows.
I would suggest updating it to Linux ;) (actually not as hard as you would think, new
Red Hat etc big names install about as easy as Windows, if not easier)

Also, Spybot does not detect all, also get Ad-Aware, it's similar to Spybot, but I've
noticed that they check for slightly different things and different ways, so it might
be able to detect and remove something that Spybot can't.

And after all that, you might wanna check out RegCleaner and go to the Tools menu
and choose Registry Cleanup>Do Them All to clean out your registry of redundant
entries in general.

And after all that is done, STOP USING SEXLOADER. I can't underline that enough!
Or just get Linux.

Hope that helps a little, it's very hard to say too much about it since you have so
many things running around in there.

thanks siren and salamurhaaja :)

getting offline helped to get rid of maybe 40 of the viruses, but there's still something there that slows everything down... will have to look into it later when i have more time

the USB memory stick is a great idea as i dont really have any other way to back up stuff though...

when my computer dies i SWEAR im going to just go with linux red hat, and become a super geek who will take care of her computer as she should

Ok, this may seem an odd question, so let me preface it.

My bro is a huge Warcraft fan. He recently got World of Warcraft, the MMORPG. He's got a free trial on it (3 days left) so of course my only activity over break has been running around getting my Troll Hunter, 'Hedon', to level up nice and quick, along with his pet Nihil. :)

Now, what strikes me is this. 20 minutes into playing the other night, I see a guy who's name labels him to be a part of the 'Dark Tranquillity' guild. I try to msg them, but they log off. I mention it to my bro, he says he just saw someone else the other day with the same guild name, and having asked them, confirmed it had to do with the band. Is this any of you? Just a curiosity question, of course. I'm on the Warsong server, lvl 17, hanging out at X-roads. I'll be there starting... now.

~kov :)) )

:bah: :cry: WoW won't be out in europe until Q1 2005 :cry:
But I'll be there... well, depending on what happens with this work
situation.

Well, now me and 2 friends have pre-ordered WoW, 48 days left :D

Which flamer are you?
I guess I should mention that the one in my title is not something I made
up, it was given to my by fireangel, take that however you like ;)

:yell: help!!!!!!!!!!!

why in the world when i download winamp skins (from the official site) i can't use them? i have the lastest winamp version, i download them, it saves them into a temporary folder and then in theory they shoud appear but instead what appears is the "classic winamp theme" and i have no other options that "modern" and "classic" in the skins menu. my friend has the same winamp version, the same skins and it works for him.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, someone has ideas?

Hil, if you aren't given a link that you can right-click and Save As, then you can just find your Temp folder and move them manually to your Winamp\Skins folder once they've downloaded. The exact location of your Temp folder depends on what version of Windows you're using, I think, but you can either search for "temp" or the filename of the skin you're downloading, if you know it.

i tried that too, but the file doesn't appear, it's like it doesn't really download it even if it tells me "hey, i swear i dloaded it".
my father told me it could be because of my computer, the lastest things windows downloads (automatic) quite dislike programs as winamp and downloads in general. o_O

Well, I have no idea what you're doing wrong then. I've just been to the Winamp site, and all I have to do it right-click on the Download button and choose Save Target As, then the window comes up where I choose the location. :zombie: Anyway, if you tell me which ones you want I can email them to you or something, if you still can't get anything to work.

You might be downloading skins for a different version of Winamp than you've got. I seem to remember that some skins only work with a certain version or later, so check what version you've got and what version the skin is intended for. Now I can't see anywhere on the Winamp site where it says what version their skins are for, but other places (such as Wincustomize... there are many others) do show it.

I think I'm going nuts...I need help.
I have copied a still from a music video (by 'print screen') which I want to use as wallpaper. But when I open it in photoshop to edit it, it all gets weird. When I move the window with the picture, only the windowframe moves. The pic itself stays where it was from the beginning. It's really weird and I suspect it's somthing with the layers, but I'm not familiar enough with photoshop to figure it out myself.

So if anyone have any ideas on how to do, I'm very grateful.

i don't know the exact command in the english version (i have menus in italian), but you need to transform the image from vector to raster. it's "rasterize" or something. then re-save it in a merged format (eg .jpg) to be sure and off you go.

Trojaned build of DC++ in the wild

Anti-virus company Kapersky Lab has announced that a trojaned version of
popular P2P software DC++ has been found in the wild. Several download
services, including Download.com have been offering a version which installs
malware onto the system.

The trojaned version installs TrojanDownloader.Win32.Istbar.er,
Trojan.Win32.Krepper.ag and Trojan.Win32.Agent.ba - all of which are related
to installation of AdWare.

According to Kapersky only the installation package of tha latest version,
v0.668, is affected.

Read more at afterdawn.com.