[geek]nerd[/geek]

The fact that I don't know anything about these games, and hence read the whole discussion as concerning Chrono Tigger, kind of puts the debate in a different light.

In the end though I don't really care if that is the case cause I honestly don't think everybody is that much of an idiot and its just an attempt to troll me, that is something I do not tolerate.

In hindsight, it did sound slightly more condescending then I meant (I meant none at all). That being said, its your loss. I mean I've certainly been one of your bigger trolls here and frankly I'd be just as happy responding to a decent post that's thoughtful and well-written as trolling you for your superiority complex. I never said you had to want to be liked. I just said the capacity is there - its your decision.

For whomever it may concern, Chrono Trigger is regarded as one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit generation, the generation in which most the best RPGs generally came out. That is considering professional critics, not just fanboys, emos, or nerds. That being said, still not sure how much I care :p.

I'm not trying to troll you, Mis, I just don't think CT and FF 1 to 4 are that different in terms of intended target.

First of all "intended target" its a stupid term. Second why are you even mentioning FF 1 to 4? All FF 1 to 6 were nothing at all like later games starting on FF7 but specially 8. Now anything after 8 excluding maybe 9 might be considered emo but anything before 7 ( including Chrono Trigger ) was completely different.

I would not argue that you intended to troll me ( hence I replied to YOU, not other idiots that know better and make a stupid, irrelevant comparison knowing fully that its void and false ) I just don't think you are familiar enough with gaming or the genre ( JRPGs ) in general.

Before the snes the term was virtually irrelevant, the snes era games were definitely ground breaking but none of them were aimed at no "emo" target audience or any target audience whatsoever. ( and I will challenge anybody anywhere on this ) Hell gaming back then was so niche there was no such thing to begin with, massive popularity of the JRPGs came with the playstation and Chrono Trigger was released well before that, its story and sensitivities clearly reflect that and if anybody chooses to say its "emo" better provide specific plot elements or character development points in which the characters sound like stupid bisexual whiners.

@Mis
you obviously missed my point.
JRPGs are emo. Period.
I don't care WHEN they came out, if you play them now you are emo.
And just cos you keep defending them makes you even more emo.

First of all "intended target" its a stupid term.

[...]

none of them were aimed at no "emo" target audience or any target audience whatsoever. ( and I will challenge anybody anywhere on this )

As I said, I don't know much about these games or gaming in general, but I know a bit about marketing, and I happened to work with a group of people in the US who were studying some specific issues in the marketing of computer games (namely, how content and advertising should be modified to make games appealing to demographics that are generally uninterested, such as young women). It's very hard for me to believe that people design products without a target audience in mind, especially in the entertainment industry. I know that most of these things you mention were born for fun rather than making money, but at some point, and in particular if we're talking anything American, marketing enters the picture.

@Mis
you obviously missed my point.
JRPGs are emo. Period.
I don't care WHEN they came out, if you play them now you are emo.
And just cos you keep defending them makes you even more emo.

I challenged you to post specific plot elements lifted from CHRONO TRIGGER which one could reasonably consider emo. You failed to comply, you are now officially beneath my notice as I am beneath yours it seems.

*updates ignore list*

As I said, I don't know much about these games or gaming in general, but I know a bit about marketing, and I happened to work with a group of people in the US who were studying some specific issues in the marketing of computer games (namely, how content and advertising should be modified to make games appealing to demographics that are generally uninterested, such as young women). It's very hard for me to believe that people design products without a target audience in mind, especially in the entertainment industry.

Right now? Abso-fucking-lutely and I actually agree with you.

However we are talking about 1995. Things were so different then its not even funny. The gaming "industry" was fairly small potatoes and nowhere near as widespread as gaming is today. In fact the 16 bit gaming was filled with small, often tiny companies like Square back then who just produced the best they could think off to be successfull.

Without mass cultural appeal there is no target audience other than "geek" and "not geek" and even that was not as clear cut as the modern gaming industry. The 16 bits consoles were ( arguably ) the first consoles capable of actually having complex plot elements and longer games with increased production values, however we were coming out of the 8-bit era games that were as complex as cellphone and flash games are today.

So at the end of the day there was little storytelling elements prior to this era and when this RPG games came along they were not really targeted at any specific demographic like "emo" cause that demographic was not even mass consuming games to begin with, only geeks and little kids were consuming videogames.

The "emo" kids of today were maybe between 8 and 10 when chrono trigger came along if not younger, they did not started acting like annoying drama queen atention whores until later on their teen years, when the playstation and playstation 2 were the norm, gaming had started reaching massive audiences and doing tons of more business and annoying, emo-like games like Final Fantasy VIII started to emerge.

So swords, medieval armor, sci-fi. That sounds like the kind of game this guy would play:

DDgeek.jpg

Not this guy:

l_7744d65efdc19318f7e4145e51b4e5dd.jpg

Since that second guy was

a) 8 years old or less

b) An equivalent whinny teenager back then looked like this:

obit1.jpg

And was not into videogames and certainly not into geeky videogames like RPGs

I know that most of these things you mention were born for fun rather than making money, but at some point, and in particular if we're talking anything American, marketing enters the picture.

That point is past 1995.

How's new Warhammer Online? Too bored/busy to actually get it (collector's edition is still available on Amazon, btw), so I'm simply back to pills.

Feel free to enlighten me.

Glimpsed at four guys at Gamespot blathering about it - so far seems more attractive than recent MMORPGS. And if guilding/teaming up isn't mandatory to do quests (looks like it's being implied) - triple hooray! Hate groups full of imbeciles.

SPORE ISO is out :)

*yawn*

iloveemo!.jpg

Spore did turn out to be a dissapointment. Oh well.

Also, Warhammer is supposed to be decent, and all the content that got lifted will be replaced in future updates, though no idea when. Unfortunately, I've not played it nor do I have any idea about gameplay. It'd be prudent to save your money for the time being.

I meant as far as the game is concerned. I thought it might be like Age of Conan in the sense that it needed a few months to get shit worked out so its good and very playable. If you want to buy some other stuff, be my guest. You could always send it over here too. I need alcohol money.

Justgot the Collector's Edition - the store had 2 extra copies.

Heavy shit.

Warhammer Online is the best MMORPG since World of Warcraft [according to me].

I have played/own:

Anarchy Online
Star Wars Galaxies
Dark Age of Camelot (all expansions)
Everquest II (actually didn't open it yet =)
Guild Wars
Final Fantasy MMORPG (didn't open yet either :p)
City of Heroes/Villains
D&D Online: Stormreach
Lineage II (latest expansions)
Lord of the Rings MMORPG
WoW (of course)
Tabula Rasa (where I stuck in the terrain in first 10 minutes)
Age of Conan

Such heady praise! Funny, because all the WoW players I know IRL don't even like the game. They just can't stop playing. Besides, Wrath of the Lich King will change... nothing...

There are quite a few things in WAR which are new to me:

- I play on a Realm vs Realm server, which is kind of global faction vs faction (4 tiers)
- Public Quests which you just walk into
- holding certain places on your continent, which grants not only influence in the area, but also points which help your faction conquer the realm (well, as far as I understand). I stumbled upon one so far, and it was a battlefield, which was really cool!
- you get Renown Points (Honor in WoW) and you get Renown Ranks along with your regular Ranks (leveling).
- also there are a few new game mechanics and different types of things (sort of abilities and stuff), which make the gameplay different from what I had experience with before.

I'm digging it so far. Will try to play for another class for Chaos.

So you don't like Wow? I just started playing a few months ago and so far I'm loving it, don't care if I'm behind the times.
I have a troll hunter named Vhagar in Drakkari in case anyone wants to say hello ;)

So you don't like Wow? I just started playing a few months ago and so far I'm loving it, don't care if I'm behind the times.
I have a troll hunter named Vhagar in Drakkari in case anyone wants to say hello ;)

I played WoW on and off for about 3 years (as of this November), and so far I can say that Warhammer Online brings quite a few cool gameplay features.

All I did in WoW was soloing till I hit 70, then it were these stupid fucking reputation things or dungeons you couldn't get into because of rep, or these fucking skills you had to fucking grind for, or an epic flying mount for 5000g... in WAR you don't even need that much money, and the game is quite different, and many aspects are more interesting and new to me than of WoW or any other MMORPG I played.

Like, I'm running around discovering the territory, meanwhile waiting in the queue for a battleground (which you can sign up for from anywhere, not just in a few places in the cities), suddenly I'm running into a public quest, where, with enough participation, I get a cool reward. Then I get into a BG - action there is pretty intense, much less ganking so far (you are evened out with the rest of the players based on their levels). You also LEVEL in the battleground - regular and Renown ranks.

Just did Chapter III PQ (a long one) - 3 times in a row.

WAR is much less grind (per se) oriented than World of Warcraft, and that's really cool.