Genres are Useless

I wouldn't call them useless: you use them to describe music to someone. :p Or to recommend something similar.

On the other hand I don't feel the need to separate one subgenre into one million other subgenres since it can get confusing and annoying, but there are people that like to have a very clear image of what they listen to.

671288153497.jpg

I wouldn't call them useless: you use them to describe music to someone. :p Or to recommend something similar.

On the other hand I don't feel the need to separate one subgenre into one million other subgenres since it can get confusing and annoying, but there are people that like to have a very clear image of what they listen to.

Well said.

shitthread.gif

I was actually going to make an insightful post but then I realized Raina basically said the same thing, but more succinctly.

Genres can be helpful right up to the point that people start debating them as if they're religious doctrine.

This is about as dumb as it gets. It's pretty obvious why genres exsist.

Example: Why do they call it pizza? everything should just be called food.

Genres do serve a purpose but people place to much importance on genres that it defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.

Like, it may be easier for bands to promote themselves if they can catch the attention of people who appreciate similar music. Or as stated earlier it is easier to make recommendations to others. Plus it's a lot easier to search for music if you've got some direction.

The reality is that most bands do not fit perfectly into a specific genre unless they are trying to. But people feel the need to label everything, and categorize everything into a couple of words.

As a result you have people bickering endlessly about genres and should a band not fit into the genre that they are most compared to, they are labeled "posers" of that genre. I could ramble on forever but I'm sure it's all pretty obvious to everyone.

This is about as dumb as it gets. It's pretty obvious why genres exsist.

Example: Why do they call it pizza? everything should just be called food.

Sure, but when taken too far it's like hearing people say things like:

"Waaah, thiz pizza has tomato sauce, not pizza sauce! You can't call that pizza!"

Or "A pizza should be fattening and unhealthy and every slice should have a pump of lard just like Pizza Hut. If you make one with healthy and organic ingredients, it's not trve pizza."

Sure, but when taken too far it's like hearing people say things like:

"Waaah, thiz pizza has tomato sauce, not pizza sauce! You can't call that pizza!"

Or "A pizza should be fattening and unhealthy and every slice should have a pump of lard just like Pizza Hut. If you make one with healthy and organic ingredients, it's not trve pizza."

Real pizzaheads only eat it frostbitten.

Grank
"Something putrid in smell or essence. Puts the witness in a state of disbelief as to why something this horrible would exist."

Grank
"Something putrid in smell or essence. Puts the witness in a state of disbelief as to why something this horrible would exist."

You should submit that to Websters or something. Anyone can attempt to insult someone. Whether the transgressor has any amount of success, it is not to be measured by insulter but by the intended target of the insult. Nice try.