Gerhard Munthe

Agah

Abide
Jun 20, 2006
Jørpeland - Norway
Today I noticed that the drawing that is behind the disk in the cover of Origin looked like it was in the same style as the dragons that is used as band logo. So I googled Gerhard Munthe, the artist who made the dragons (for use in Heimskringla ), and I noticed that his drawings had been used a lot of times in Borknagar releases. Here's the ones I've found:

Logo:

117px-Ynglingesaga_6_Gerhard_Munthe.014.jpg

Inside the cover of Origin:

105px-Ynglingesaga_28_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

Last page of The Olden Domain booklet:

120px-Olav_Trygvasons_saga_-_vignett_1_-_G._Munthe.jpg

The self titled album (re-release) has 6 pieces of Munthe art in the booklet:

120px-Ynglingesaga_19_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

106px-Ynglingesaga_8_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

88px-Ynglingesaga_16_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

116px-Ynglingesaga_7_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

106px-Ynglingesaga_8_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

120px-Ynglingesaga_20_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

120px-Ynglingesaga_15_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

Are there any meaning to these drawings? From what I've understood every one of Gerhard Munthes drawings relate to a chapter or a saga in Heimskringla, maybe there's some hidden meaning hidden somewhere? Probably not, but at least some of you might have discovered an amazing artist from this post.

i'm not sure if i like his drawings or not...
some are nice, but some are a bit confused or too simple....i don't know...

I understand what you mean.
However, his style is always the same, I believe you can agree with that. If some of his works seem confused or too simple, that's your brain's fault, not Munthe's. The brain has the ability to simplify familiar shapes. Like in this example, where you can see a triangle which is not exactly drawn. If your brain didn't knew the triangle shape, I guess this picture would be very confusing.

I understand what you mean.
However, his style is always the same, I believe you can agree with that. If some of his works seem confused or too simple, that's your brain's fault, not Munthe's. The brain has the ability to simplify familiar shapes. Like in this example, where you can see a triangle which is not exactly drawn. If your brain didn't knew the triangle shape, I guess this picture would be very confusing.

yes, maybe it's my limit.
i generally don't like the art that i don't understand, like modern or abstract art :ill:
in this case some drawings are clear but i som cases i don't like the trait, like in this, the shape and the movement is beautiful but for my taste the trait is too poor, i would have liked more details.
551px-Olav_den_helliges_saga_GM18.jpg

but in this case, i hardly understand what he wanted to draw.
i see a man/woman lying on some flames (?!?) with something in hand, and there's a maelstrom maybe, with some fishes (that seem to turn into that flames), there's something around, maybe mountains or rocks. this i what i see....what do you exactly see?
579px-Ynglingesaga_7_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

but in this case, i hardly understand what he wanted to draw.
i see a man/woman lying on some flames (?!?) with something in hand, and there's a maelstrom maybe, with some fishes (that seem to turn into that flames), there's something around, maybe mountains or rocks. this i what i see....what do you exactly see?
579px-Ynglingesaga_7_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

Well, abstract art has abstract explanations, I guess. So the best I can do is try to form a theory. By the way, you have chosen a very interesting example.
Like you said, at first it looks quite confusing. Probably because it's so big. First thing I did was print it, and then look at it from a bigger distance. Indeed it looks like a person burning. However, instead of mountains and rocks, I see something coming out of the person and transforming into a face (on the right side, in profile, looking towards the center of the maelstrom).
With all the elements present, I think the person died in combat (sword in hand?) and is being cremated on a pyre. Maybe the maelstrom works as a portal to Valhalla. What do you think?

Maybe I'm saying a bunch of bollocks. After all, I'm portuguese, so I don't know that much about norse mythology. :D

Well, abstract art has abstract explanations, I guess. So the best I can do is try to form a theory. By the way, you have chosen a very interesting example.
Like you said, at first it looks quite confusing. Probably because it's so big. First thing I did was print it, and then look at it from a bigger distance. Indeed it looks like a person burning. However, instead of mountains and rocks, I see something coming out of the person and transforming into a face (on the right side, in profile, looking towards the center of the maelstrom).
With all the elements present, I think the person died in combat (sword in hand?) and is being cremated on a pyre. Maybe the maelstrom works as a portal to Valhalla. What do you think?

Maybe I'm saying a bunch of bollocks. After all, I'm portuguese, so I don't know that much about norse mythology. :D

the use was to burn important people on a boat that was left to float on the sea or a river, together with their goods and arms, this is what the legend tells, so maybe you're not saying bullocks :lol: (most probably they were buried into the ground, archaelogists have found some graves with a ship shape, the ship was considered to be the mean to the beyond)
one example of that is baldr's funeral :)
i tought too that was something related to death, but warriors were taken to valhalla from odin and his valkyries.
i didn't see the profile at first, i had to look at it twice to recognise it :p

So, this ends up being an illustration of a burial service, being a sort of bridge between mythology and the mundane.
Like I said, a very interesting example.

i've an insane passion for viking/celtic art with all those knotworks and gripping beasts :oops:

I might actually get one of these tattooed somewhere.
Not sure where though, and which one to pick.
438px-Ynglingesaga_16_Gerhard_Munthe.jpg

551px-Olav_den_helliges_saga_GM18.jpg

Haakon_den_godes_saga_-_vignett_3_-_G._Munthe.jpg

I don't like having huge tattoos, but these have so much detail that I doubt I can have them small like the Borknagar one I have.

i've an insane passion for viking/celtic art with all those knotworks and gripping beasts :oops:

Well, I don't know much about viking/celtic art. But I'm learning, and from what I know, it looks very nice.

If any of you guys can throw me some names (better than googling for it), I will be very thankful.

Well, I don't know much about viking/celtic art. But I'm learning, and from what I know, it looks very nice.

If any of you guys can throw me some names (better than googling for it), I will be very thankful.

i like old viking art, like you know those designs on runestones or jewels, just google and you will find something.

for celtic art i'm not expert, i would like to know more too.
those are three good modern artists (maybe they are a little bit too new age :lol:):
-jen delyth: maybe the best. i don't know which is her tecnique, but i suppose she works with some pc programs, her designs seems to have many layers. this is her site: http://www.kelticdesigns.com/Pages/JenDelythSlideShow.html
-cari buziak: i like so much some colours she uses and the site is: http://www.aon-celtic.com/cgallery.html
-courtney davis: his gallery is under contruction (http://www.theawenstudio.co.uk/index.htm) but you can find a file called "old celtic and norse designs" on Emule with some of his works and reproduction of old designs.

my passion is born when i understood i would never find some paintings i would totally like to put in my house, so i started to paint them by myself just as a relaxing hobby, copying designs i like which i found on the web :)