getting a good industrial tone?

colonel kurtz

Sep 7, 2006
the title pretty much sums it up - i want to write a couple of loud, raw, pissed-as-fuck industrial tracks, but can't seem to get a guitar tone that i would consider acceptable for this shit...anyone have any helpful tips???

Well I think you want a real tight tone for that. I would think a pod would be good ala fear factory or maybe your thinking like Ministry?

Solid state is def the way to go. Lots of treble on a Randall or something. Back in the day when I played this tuff i quicly found out that you have to be really careful with the low end of the tone. There's often lots of samples, pads and stuff that compete in that area.

It is often very difficult for metal engineers to get a classic "industrial rock" tone, because that tone is very often very shitty.

What I did recently (and liked a lot) was use any kind of distorted guitar sound (could be an ENGL, could be Wagner Sharp - it doesn't matter), record 2 or 4 performances, send them to a bus and then insert another distortion plugin there. Pull out offending, woofy frequencies on that bus with some surgical EQ and roll of a lot of treble and you get a realllly wild and out of control guitar tone. Play with different distortion plugins until you find one you like.

"Industrial" covers a multitude of sins.
Try a BBE. Ramp the mids on your amp/pod, then crank the BBE until it's sucked all the mids back out.
Very industrial kinda vibe. Might be what you're after.

DI track > Izotope Trash layered with rectifier tone. Gives it a very digital and harsh top end while retaining some of the amp/cab tone from the rectifier. But yes, compress to shit .

I've always wanted to get that sound NIN has on their And All That Could Have Been DVD. I know almost everything is DI into probably Line 6 stuff, but they still manage to get a really distinct sound.

Well, let me ask you this: what are you trying to achieve with the guitar part in the songs you're working on? Are the riffs the focal point of the song or are they just another texture in the mix? I think that would determine your approach to the tone, whether you want something straightforward and chunky or something a bit more experimental.

There's really no "right" way to get a good industrial tone. Some bands use a very straightforward amp and miced cab rig- KMFDM, for example- while others are all over the place, sonically and equipment-wise. Fuzz pedal straight to the board is not unheard of. (ZVex Fuzz Factory straight in is instant Nine Inch Nails...)

Industrial isn't supposed to be pleasant sounding music, so go nuts doing unpleasant sounding things. Distort your mic pres. Clip your inputs. Single coils into a cranked-up clean channel with the treble jacked up. (Give the hum it's own track! :lol: ) Digital distortion. Bitcrusher. Ring Modulator. Reverb in front of a distorted amp. Run your send out into an OD pedal and run that straight to your DAW. Create a unique tone that helps drive the track, even if it would be totally shitty in any other context.

thanks for the tips guys...i don't have a lot of shit around to work with, but i do have izotope trash, so i'll give that a shot, along with pushing my TS7 to its limits, and doing whatever other digital mangling i can think of

i think i'll also try doing some pitch-shifted shit with my whammy pedal...that thing's great at giving stuff that metalli-robot sort of feel

and i'm not really sure what i'm trying to achieve with the guitars - i just have some riffs bouncing around in my head, and thought they would make for an awesome industrial track

reviews called the bonustrack of our new album "industrial"...
I did the opposite of what's mentioned above....
I used a PRS with passive EMG into Rectifier...loads of gain and tuned down to G ;)

dunno if that's industial but it sounded...special :)

you can check it out on our bands www.myspace.com/hirnnektar the medley starts playing automatically..it's the last bit in it.

although I'm aware that's probably not "real" industrial...at least it wasn't meant to be industrial...

pushing my TS7 to its limits

Crank up the gain on your Tubescreamer and run it into an already heavily distorted amp. Should yield an overcompressed "amp's about to explode!" mess of a tone. And if you've got a wah sitting around, turn it on and do the opposite of the Michael Schenker cocked wah thing- rock it all the way back (or most of the way) and use it as a filter. :headbang: