Getting the Sunlight Studios tone

Hello.
I know this thread is very very old but I have one question.
Does anybody knows which mixing console was used at Sunlight Studio?
My search at google was not successful.
Best wishes
Ulli

I'm pretty sure that it's a HM-2 into a 5150 :) I got a HM-2 a few days ago, it is AWESOME!

Edit: I wrote this post this morning, didn't read the second page so my post doesn't make any sense :) I'll run the HM2 through my 5150 tomorrow though and see if I can get close.

What are your settings at the HM 2 and the 5150?

Put all the knobs on the HM-2 on full, then starting with the amp and moving back to the pedal dial that shit in.

It's true that sticking the pedal in front of anything will get you the instantly recognisable sound, but actually coaxing a good useable recorded tone from there is just as difficult as it is any other.

Wow this thread is a flashback! Anyway, I've been told I successfully recreated the Sunlight Studios sound on my own bands productions. I mix and master about 70% old school death metal these days.

Well the HM-2 is essential obviously. I always use an SM57 on my guitar cab, and I blend it with another mic. On our demo I used a cheap Audix mic, and on our album I used a Royer R-121. I always use an SM57 on vocals. Bass is always DI. Drums have kick and snare replaced, but I leave toms natural. I think the secret is really just the mixing. Honestly I don't really have any tricks. I learned to mix mostly by listening, and naturally emulating the sounds of albums I liked the sound of.

Equipment will probably vary for our next album.

Well the HM-2 is essential obviously. I always use an SM57 on my guitar cab, and I blend it with another mic. On our demo I used a cheap Audix mic, and on our album I used a Royer R-121. I always use an SM57 on vocals. Bass is always DI. Drums have kick and snare replaced, but I leave toms natural. I think the secret is really just the mixing. Honestly I don't really have any tricks. I learned to mix mostly by listening, and naturally emulating the sounds of albums I liked the sound of.

Equipment will probably vary for our next album.

May I ask what bass you used?

I'm finding that the Bloodbath tone, especially on The Fathomless Mastery is my favourite version of this tone...

I have a high degree of suspicion that experimenting EMGs (maybe with a tubescreamer) into an HM2 into a Laboga Mr Hector would yield positive results :) Crank everything on the HM-2 except maybe dist. I'm going to try building a Mr Hector preamp and testing this theory, when I get around to it.

May I ask what bass you used?
On the demo we borrowed my brother's 5-string Ibanez. I don't know the model but it's maybe a $300 bass. On the album we borrowed a friend's Crate bass that must have been even cheaper. However, it sounded PERFECT/amazing. Love that bass tone. Example:

Sorry for quality - I didn't upload it. You can hear better quality on Spotify or iTunes or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're at it, could someone spare some details about the drum sound? And I'm referring to the early stuff with the obviously triggered drums. Judging from the looks of the pads I guess it'd be a Ddrum Plus or a Ddrum2 module? I've tried finding the Plus system but not surprisingly it's really hard. Also haven't been able to find samples from it.

Any info about this is very much appreciated! I've heard very similar drum sounds on a few other albums; Benediction - "Transcend the Rubicon" comes to mind.

Only time I went to Sunlight was around 98 I guess and things were obviously pretty different by then. The band used the studio kit, can't remember what it was but certainly not pads. 57 on snare, ATM-25 on toms, think it was D112 on kick but not sure, and an AKG Solidtube about a meter in front of the kick. That was it, no overheads, no room mics. He used the tom mics to pick up the cymbals.

Ive been trying to coax this type of sound out of my Axe-fx II.
There is a Wish/discussion in the FAS forums to add the HM-2.

Ive also made a clip and have recently tried again to get the tone closer.

Any advise other than "use the HM-2" will be greatly appreciated.
Also, Hello. :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone know what cabs were used with the peavey bandits and hm-2 pedal? I have a hm2 pedal and my friend has a peavey bandit. I was wondering if they every used just the stock speaker in bandit combo or something.

wow so just the peavey bandit combo and no external cabs or anything? I wanna buy a bandit.