Ghost Reveries... someone explain it!

still life is good but it's nothing compared to GR (except for White Cluster and Moonlapse Vertigo).
but anyway, your opinion sucks because your opinion is that opeth are lazy now and that sucks, so you suck and i dno't want to talk to you anymore

hibernal_dream said:
My equally valid response: How could they release their best record when they are lazy?

PS: Still Life rules

I think to say that Opeth are lazy is garbage. Are you in a band? If not, then try doing it and being as good as Ghost Reveries. If so, then was your last effort as good as Ghost Reveries?

Didn't think so :)

True!!! the day you write a song like ghost of perdition you come here and say they are lazy... you might say it's not a good song and you don0't like it... but that's very different from calling opeth "lazy"....

yeah,what do you mean "betrays" and "longtime listeners"... that was the most stupid statement i've ever read... well.. after michael jackson's "i'm not guilty" , but yaeh, the second worst statement!

hibernal_dream said:
GR doesn't fall down because of its songwriting, guitarwork or repitition. It falls down because it betrays longtime listeners by providing them with nothing new or original to digest. Opeth have become lazy and are simply running through the motions, and the heavy-soft-heavy style has become sort of a gimmick used by Mikael to escape having to write a song with any real content.

(this explains the flood of newbies to the board and departure of old members - they've simply lost interest).

I don't think so, I don't think the band couldve tossed off a song like GoP in their sleep. Whether you like the album or not you have to admit they put a lot of work into it, and weren't just running thru the motions.

Moonlapse said:
Betrays? Opeth don't owe anything to us.

Good that you picked up on that Moonlapse, I failed to. the only thing that Opeth owes anyone is to stay true to what they believe in. I believe that they are 100% behind Ghost Reveries, and therefore they can't really be criticised for making it. If I felt like they had written those songs solely to attract new fans or keep RR happy, then I might have had a problem. But even then, it's their choice, and to make out like they owe it to us to be different is just... dumb.

hibernal_dream said:
GR doesn't fall down because of its songwriting, guitarwork or repitition. It falls down because it betrays longtime listeners by providing them with nothing new or original to digest. Opeth have become lazy and are simply running through the motions, and the heavy-soft-heavy style has become sort of a gimmick used by Mikael to escape having to write a song with any real content.

(this explains the flood of newbies to the board and departure of old members - they've simply lost interest).

faget of the year award

i think its a fucking great album...the clean section in the baying of the hounds is fucking sweet man. i love it. it sounds so innocent...the entire album has a new vibe, or key stone, if you will.

I don't like Ghost Reveries as much as the other albums because, to me, it feels like there's way less emphasis on the instruments compared to their previous albums. Of course, I love Mike's voice so GR is still a "good" album, it just could've been better.

But it's pretty hard to top "The Baying of the Hounds" and "Reverie", and as someone said in this topic, "The Grand Conjuration" is eargasmic when played live.

Betrays was probably the wrong word - the way you've understood the statement was not what I meant. Replace it with "lost the interest of". True, the band owes us nothing - but to be honest I couldn't care less about the band. Its the music they create that i'm interested in. But like most metal bands they seem to be content with copying themselves. I'm not saying GR is shit - its a masterpiece if it was by any other band. i'm saying that they haven't progreesed, that GR doesn't have anything past albums (either by themselves or other bands) don't have. No I am not in a band but if I was, and if I had a fantastic discography like Opeth's, I wouldn't be happy putting out something like GR. Opeth have said themselves that they write songs in a rush in the studio. Sounds pretty lazy to me. Disagree? Then address my statements themselves instead of making silly comments like 'i pwnz y0u noob'.

hibernal_dream said:
Betrays was probably the wrong word - the way you've understood the statement was not what I meant. Replace it with "lost the interest of". True, the band owes us nothing - but to be honest I couldn't care less about the band. Its the music they create that i'm interested in. But like most metal bands they seem to be content with copying themselves. I'm not saying GR is shit - its a masterpiece if it was by any other band. i'm saying that they haven't progreesed, that GR doesn't have anything past albums (either by themselves or other bands) don't have. No I am not in a band but if I was, and if I had a fantastic discography like Opeth's, I wouldn't be happy putting out something like GR. Opeth have said themselves that they write songs in a rush in the studio. Sounds pretty lazy to me. Disagree? Then address my statements themselves instead of making silly comments like 'i pwnz y0u noob'.

Except that they didn't write the songs in a rush in the studio with this album. Idiot. Please get your facts straight before you argue your view.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
OMG n00b. I suppose. Kind of. Not really. Umm...

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Your an Uber-n00b be quiet. I don't like your attitude. (mostly referring to the part in parenthesis)

Tubbs Mcgee said:
That guy just got pwn3d like a n00b.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
LMAO this is t3h funny 5l-l17 lol!!!!

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I pwnz y0u n00b.

Fuck, you're annoying.