Ghosts

AsModEe said:
then again, astral projects can only be your brain playing you tricks.

Not if at first you project to the etherical plane which looks very much like this world. You can find out information that way. So say your doing it at 5am and you just so happen to wander into someones house that you know, who is up getting ready for work. So instead of having cereal or eggs for breakfast they have say... pie. And you remember this experience when you return to your lower level of consciousness. You tell them you saw them eating pie and they shit themselves because there would be no way of knowing. The most interesting part about it is that you can see your body laying there, but you are not 'in' there. Your brain is left on autopilot and with sever sleep paralysis.

There is an actual process you can go through to achieve the out of body experience. The biggest problem people have while trying to do such things is the FEAR. Be it of the unknown, or death(practically the same thing) then you will hold yourself back if you want to. Most of the time when AP happens people just find themselves floating about their body. The usually at that point either go exploring, or snap back to their body with a heavy sense of vibrations and unable to move their body because their awake but their body is still in sleep paralysis.

Gallowmere said:
new here, sorry to barge in
but do you believe in "rods"
they can only be found in photos
I've heard about them, I think. Are they those things that when you set up a camera, after a while you'll start to see white things, long and skinny, flying by?

Final_Product said:
In that respect I could also say you are not a Christian because God has not revealed himself to you yet.

Pretty falicious analogy.

The point being made is that people are all too ready to believe in ghosts, aliens, conspiracy theories when there might indeed be different explanations. Ghostly experience, I'm sure, could be explained by science. Psychology can also explain away a great deal of alien abduction claims also.
One important thing to mention. Thing that 50% of people into mysticism, magick, spirituality, etc are idiots (well maybe not exactly sure about percent) does not means that spirituality is not valid by itself. I do belive that 99% of "supernatural" stuff are misinterpreted, but that does not always means that there are logical "scientific" explanations. As we all know boundaries of science are temporary. I do belive that EVERYTHING has scientific explanation, but that science still has a long way to go to. Basically, idea that we are not able to detect some forms of energy/mater and that everything in existence has much more "levels" that are out of perception of tools we are able to develop at this point is not unscientific to me, quite contrary.
I do think that too "mystical", illogical ways that some supernatural stuff are explained often are completely wrong. Explanations that were acceptable to me were the ones that are coherent and have similar logic that applies to what we have already researched thru science in its current form. For instance if you talk about god as a old men on the cloud, you are clearly an idiot. But if you have a concept about holographic universe, where energy=matter=consioussnes, if you accept collective consioussnes as a probable fact, then you can have a god as a global universal unity of consiousness, matter and energy constantly reinventing itself. I am not claming it is truth, but clearly when one person thinks about god it is just projection, but for other person it can be logicall explanation, or even personal experience. Same goes for ghosts, when one person talks about it it is bunch of superstitious nonsense, but for other person it can be a concept that has to have logical place that is just extension of our current knowledge.

Just one thing to add. I AM very suspicious and sceptical about most of the ghost stories, partly because all "supernatural" things I, or people I know intimately have witnessed were not alike what is usualy described as ghosts "seeings". Those experiences were always more radical, or quite different. My good friends family have sold one old house where some strange and unexplainable things have happened, including:
- His mother seeing moving shadows and feeling coldness at few ocasions in a middle of a daytime. She's was a teacher, not a person prone to selfdillusions, never had stories of those kind before or after. No nightime and creepy atmosphere involved.
- His aunt was born with ability to see creatures or "People" that were not among the living. She was never interested in that, it was a problem for her. She was diagnosed by psychologist as a completely normal, and there was no neurlological problems. Her ability gradually dissapeared as she was getting older. All her seeings were only in this house or close proximity
- There was nothing unusual about this house, no strange feeling most of the time, far from usual image of "haunted house".
- He had experience during night time that has nothing to do with seeing something. But you could say that normal logic and laws of physics were suspended for some time. Too long to elaborate about this.

So what I am trying to say is that I am highly suspicious about most of the stories because they have all those "creepy" unusual elements involved that appear not so logical and out of place for me. There are some strange stuff that I had personal experience with, and it is 99% UNLIKE what you can read about or hear about as "Supernatural" experinces. In case of my friend, more people have had similar experiences, but none of this were like ghost stories. His aunt was seeing people but they were looking like human beings, appearing in the window, and trying to communicate. They could be dead people, energies of dead people, astral beings, projections of her own mind, but fact is, it is nothing like most of ghost stories that have certain clichees about nighttime, places like graveyard, etc.

As far as photographs go, it is hard to take most of those photos serious. Although, I have witnessed that photographs can show some supernatural stuff on them, but it was not connected with ghosts in any way. For instance, there is a Monastery here that is actualy wery well known for this: Shadow of long gone saint that has spent his life in this monastery showns on a lot of photographs people take when visiting monastery. It is a well known thing and a lot of people have similar pictures. This is first occasion I have seen that:One woman showed me a picture of church building and what I was thinking is that there is a picture of a saint painted on the front of the church. I asked her about that confused knowing that it is not a custom to have a saint painted on a church. It was looking like painted and washed away thru years of rain and wind tearing color off the church wall. Angle was right, picture was taken rom a side a bit. Then she explained me that there was no painting in reality, that this has appeared only on photograph, and showed me few other photos.

Yeah, I've never seen it happen in real life, but the movie "White Noise" shows it happening. It is pretty creepy.

Impudent said:
I've heard about them, I think. Are they those things that when you set up a camera, after a while you'll start to see white things, long and skinny, flying by?

Yes, that's what they are, but apparently no one has ever found a dead one
or caught one for that matter. I don't know what to think about them though
As for Ghosts, i don't believe in them. I've had things happen before in the past that were indeed very strange but i wouldnt jump to say it was Ghosts.

speed said:
Ive yet to read a single piece of conclusive evidence

"the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

i think at this point the "burden of proof" rests on the shoulders of the sceptics because any "true believer" will tell you that many, perhaps even the majority, of alien abductions/UFO sightings are hoaxes, but can anyone conclusively prove "beyond the shadow of a doubt" that every single individual alien/UFO case (millions of seperate cases documented) was a hoax/hallucination?!? and could investigate and debunk each of those millions of cases completely individually from all the others???
impossible
there's too many unexplainable bone malformations/metal implants/illnesses being cured/watches being unexplainably permanantly "broken" too many cases where everyone in a whole city south of the equator is seeing the same craft at the same time etc etc etc

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
"the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

i think at this point the "burden of proof" rests on the shoulders of the sceptics because any "true believer" will tell you that many, perhaps even the majority, of alien abductions/UFO sightings are hoaxes, but can anyone conclusively prove "beyond the shadow of a doubt" that every single individual alien/UFO case (millions of seperate cases documented) was a hoax/hallucination?!? and could investigate and debunk each of those millions of cases completely individually from all the others???
impossible
there's too many unexplainable bone malformations/metal implants/illnesses being cured/watches being unexplainably permanantly "broken" too many cases where everyone in a whole city south of the equator is seeing the same craft at the same time etc etc etc
this is also applicable to ghosts as well as the alien/UFO thing

Gallowmere said:
Yes, that's what they are, but apparently no one has ever found a dead one
or caught one for that matter. I don't know what to think about them though
As for Ghosts, i don't believe in them. I've had things happen before in the past that were indeed very strange but i wouldnt jump to say it was Ghosts.
So you don't believe these "rods" are ghosts? I've even heard that they might be fucking dragons. Weird.

No, i don't. I don't know what to think really. Im sure if "rods" existed it would have been proven by now
Apparently if you wanna see some for yourself you have to set your camera up a specific way

I've heard that the military has practiced with astral projection and the police have claimed they can use it to track criminals, but I think they are bluffing. There could be a lot of practical uses for this by snoopers for the establishment, but it would be a well known fact of life if it could be routinely used like that. For some reason it isn't being used like that. Is that reason because it is too hard to do, or is it because it is nonsense?
If someone was dying and they decided to do astral projection, could they become a ghost like that?

Gallowmere said:
No, i don't. I don't know what to think really. Im sure if "rods" existed it would have been proven by now
Apparently if you wanna see some for yourself you have to set your camera up a specific way
I think you had to angle it up towards the sky.

Ghosts are just wishful thinking. People want to believe anything but the truth: that we die and rot, nothing else.

My theory on the images people see (and call "ghosts") is that our actions in this life get embedded in the atmosphere somehow. At certain points, for whatever reason, we see these embedded images of the past. But the images are just repeats of the past, no interaction, no connection.

Just my two cents.

Metal Moose said:
Ghosts are just wishful thinking. People want to believe anything but the truth: that we die and rot, nothing else.
I believe the same thing, but I like to keep an open mind.