Gigantour!

Sydo

Apr 13, 2001
Hey all. :)

By now I'm sure you have all heard of Gigantour; Dave Mustaine's little touring carnival of metal that includes the likes of Megadeth, Dream Theater, Fear Factory and Nevermore.
As good as the bill appears, Gigantour is especially relevant to us as Mr Mustaine continues to tease us with the idea that such a festival may be heading to Australia. Well, sadly, that probably wont happen if the current attendance figures are anything to go by.

Artist/Event: GIGANTOUR: MEGADETH, DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY, NEVERMORE, LIFE OF AGONY, SYMPHONY X, DRY KILL LOGIC, BOBAFLEX
Venue: Selland Arena
City/State: Fresno, Calif.
Date: July 21, 2005
Attendance: 1,866
Capacity: 6,545

Artist/Event: GIGANTOUR: MEGADETH, DREAM THEATER, FEAR FACTORY, NEVERMORE, LIFE OF AGONY, SYMPHONY X, DRY KILL LOGIC, BOBAFLEX
Venue: Open Air Theatre
City/State: San Diego, Calif.
Date: July 28, 2005
Attendance: 2,228
Capacity: 4,598

Not good. Not good at all. :(

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=40095

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=40088

Even Cinderella is selling more, and compared to Ozzfest? :err: Stupid America. Stupid, stupid.

Metal for the Brain gets about 1500. That's without any international bands at all. A Gigantour show in Sydney and Melbourne, with the same line-up as the Fresno show (or least the top 4 band, plus some top Aussie ones), would probably get 5000 easily, but only if they kept it to Sydney and Melbourne. Trying to do Brisbane and Adelaide as well would not only be really, really costly, it wouldn't bring as many people to each show. North America is spoiled for big shows like this; Australia isn't.

That's a good point guys.. the Australian attendance certainly wouldn't be worse than those first few American dates.

:hotjump:

I still don't know why a Brisbane gig would impact on numbers for Sydney and Melbourne. OK, some might travel down south if they missed out, but not that many.

No indeed. I think a lot of the problem with the US tours is that they do too many shows in cities that are too close together. Why would you put Gigantour on in Fresno, and then in Sacramento five days later? They are only three hours apart. There was even one in Irvine four days before the San Diego show. Irvine is in Orange County and about an hour's drive from San Diego. No wonder people aren't going. The smart thing to do would be to have a couple of shows in central locations. A show each in Sacramento and San Diego and that's all would have been a better idea.

Spiff said:
I still don't know why a Brisbane gig would impact on numbers for Sydney and Melbourne. OK, some might travel down south if they missed out, but not that many.

I'd likely put a Brisbane show on too. If I thought it would work, I'd maybe even try to put one on in Mackay or somewhere to accomodate the fans in the north part of Queensland. Even going to Brisbane for some of them is a long trek.

I have no doubt that with the right combination of bands, they would be able to sell out entertainment centres around the country. No, I don't know which bands that would be.