SymX officially on gigantour??!?!?!?

Symphony of Dreams, SymX *have* participated in some high profile tours since The Odyssey came out, the biggest two being with Blind Guardian and Stratovarius. When I saw them in NYC with Blind Guardian there were well over 1000 people there (I won't call out a number bigger than that since I don't remember how much The World held) and the place was sold out. The Blind Guardian and Strato tours exposed them to the right audience they needed to get a hold of in both the States and Europe (respectively), and I've talked to many metalheads that only know of SymX *because* of seeing them opening for these two bands.

Yngvai X said:
Symphony of Dreams, SymX *have* participated in some high profile tours since The Odyssey came out, the biggest two being with Blind Guardian and Stratovarius. When I saw them in NYC with Blind Guardian there were well over 1000 people there (I won't call out a number bigger than that since I don't remember how much The World held) and the place was sold out. The Blind Guardian and Strato tours exposed them to the right audience they needed to get a hold of in both the States and Europe (respectively), and I've talked to many metalheads that only know of SymX *because* of seeing them opening for these two bands.

I know, I previusly refered to the power metal tours as opener, and relatively to what Symphony X is used to play as a headliner they are high profile, but 1,000 to 2,500 people tours for power metal bands is seriusly nothing compared to Megadeth/Dream Theater/Dillinger Escape Plan/Nevermore/Fear Factory, and posible Testament and Anthrax, this is a tour that every date will put figures almost 5 times bigger than any date of the Stratovarius/Blind Guardian tours, will expose them to a much wider range of audience, and would benefit the band more than any opening slot for any power metal band currently active (except for maybe Maiden or Preist).

You see, it's opportunities like this that bands just CANT skip. Take Dream Theater for example, they seem to be doing quite well with their headlining shows, and have a large and faithful enough audience that they dont have to worry about money as long as they stay on the road. Yet they didn't thought it twice before opening for YES last summer, or opening for Iron Maiden this summer on Europe, or co-headlining with Queensrÿche and or Megadeth. Do they really need it? no... but they do it just to expose their music to a wider range of people. And in turn they help the genre, too.

Silent Song said:
how is 6 studio albums, many major tours and fans worldwide *not* successful? what more do you want? their own TV show?

Are you kidding me? major tours? opening for Stratovarius is a major tour? 6 studio albums? Shadow Gallery has 6 studio albums (or something) would you consider them successful?

HEY! The guys in Symphony X NEED different gigs (and day jobs) to put food in their houses, how is THAT successful?

so does Dan Swanö, and he's one of the most successful guys in death metal.

i don't see what your beef with the band or us fans is. clearly you're just angry at the world for not going your way.

i got news man: its not a one-time-only special.

How many times do I have to repeat that I have no beef with the band and even less with you the fans... if you stopped thinking as a fanboy you'd probably agree with me on this too.

Honestly the fact that SyX is not going does not affect my life, I just thought it was sad seeing the band making this stupid move, and I thought that maybe their fans would try to make the band reconsider seeing as fans should wish their favorite band to succeed, but maybe I expected too much from you.

Hopefully SyX remains stable and Russell Allen isn't forced to quit the band because he was fired from his job in Medieval Times or something like that.

:lol: so it doesnt affect you, yet you try to rally us to your cause?

to be honest they aren't my favorite band, so i'd hardly consider myself acting as a fanboy. i love all their stuff, but my true obsession is with zero hour (at least at the moment).

lets enter the realm of fantasy for a moment and put SX on Gigantour.

how many people in that massive crowd are actually going to listen to them?
how many of those people are going to exclaim oh my! what an amazing band!
how many of THOSE people are going to then go and buy their albums?

how would it do -anything- good for the band that they haven't already accomplished?

Silent Song said:

how would it do -anything- good for the band that they haven't already accomplished?

10,000 people on average...

Say... 50% actually listen... 5,000

Say 10% actually exclaim "oh my! what an amazing band!... 500

Say 20% of those buy the album... 100 people out 10,000 would be buying the album in that date. Throughout 3 months and probably 60 dates? that would be 6,000 thousand new people buying albums (buying ALL albums)... THEN add to that word of mouth and a new chance for a new big package tour under their belt. Not to mention the other 24,000 people (400 x 60 who said "oh my! what an amazing band!") who might attend a tour and spread the word about them.

And that's on the worst case scenario. Because attendance should be way higher than 10,000, people listening will be way higher too, people liking the band will most certaintly be higher (I can see Nevermore, Megadeth and Dream Theater fans liking SyX heavy side) and new people buying their albums and attending their concerts should also increase.

How can anyone be against them entering the tour?!? is it so hard to grasp the thought that... THEY HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE?

Silent Song said:

Theres no point in crying "sour grapes" over this. How would it do anything good? Are you mad? Do you realize how many people have NOT heard of Symphony X that are Dream Theater and Nevermore fans? Dream Theater's fan base, contrary to popular belief, is not limited to those who prowl the Mike Portnoy and DT.net forums. People going there for DT and Nevermore would go crazy for SymX. Not to mention whoever else would be going to see the other 2nd stage bands.

Considering two of the five main stage bands are legitimate metal bands (Megadeth and Nevermore) and one of them is a progressive band (Dream Theater) I *highly* doubt this fest is going to turn into a mall/metalcore swamp like Ozzfest. So any argument saying you'd rather SymX not be exposed to the hot topic crowd gets thrown right out the fucking window.

SymX might be one of my favorite bands but I'm in no way going to ass kiss and agree blindly with whatever choices they make. This was the best promotional opportunity they've ever been offered and they blew it. End of story.

SymphonyOfDreams said:
Surely they (and their 2,000 people gigs) can compare to Megadeth.

When Megadeth toured last, they played the Roseland ballroom in NYC which is only 2500. We're talking METAL here, not pop. A metal band playing a 2k + seater is nothing to scoff at.

A tour is *not* a festival. When Stratovarius HEADLINES Wacken, they play up to 35 THOUSAND people. Now here in the US we don't have those kinds of metal festivals (unfortunately) so we have a bunch of way smaller fests (such as progpower) and the ever popular "touring festival" which is what this (and ozzfest) is. In this sense, you can't compare a tour opportunity with bands like Blind Guardian and Stratovarius with Gigantour, because one is a regular tour and one is a festival tour. If SymX was offered the opportunity to open for a Megadeth tour, I guarantee you they wouldn't be playing venues much larger than what Stratovarius can get in Europe on a headlining tour.

I have respected this band's decisions and foresight for years,
they have not disapointed me. How do we know what they desire and
require on a personal level? Has anyone considered that they may
be happy with what they've accomplished, where they are at, and the
path that they're going? Jax knows the reasons why they made this
decision, and she has a right to. We don't and it shouldn't matter.
Someone mentioned Shadow Gallery..hell yes they're successful,
considering they NEVER even played a gig on stage. InsideOut
obviously has granted SymX the freedom to make their own decisions.
Now there will be a slot for some other band who may find this to
be rewarding and beneficial to their own personal path.
Matt, maybe it could be you.
I admire honesty.

Admittedly, I was pissed when I found out Symphony X wouldn't be doing Gigantour. But I doubt fuming about it wouldn't change their minds, either. I'm sure there will be other times where they will perform and I can always catch them then. Not that big of a deal to me.