Glasgow Barrowlands. An honest review.

Ross___

Feb 24, 2005
Glasgow
I was at Glasgow Barrowlands last night.

I last saw Anthrax in 1988 at the same venue and I was 17. That was 17 years ago. There were lots of people my age there. It’s not that I’ve stopped going to gigs or listening to music; it’s all I do. My tastes have changed and I think that has given me a little perspective on the whole reunion thing.

(Also, I loved SOWN when it came out, so this isn't old school/Belladonna/Bush bullshit)

Firstly I need to tell you that I was grinning from ear to ear when they came onstage to the Blues Brothers intro. Then they went into Among The Living and I was right back in 1987!

…for about five minutes.

I don’t think you could accuse me of not being open-minded or not getting into the spirit of the thing – I loved this band. I wanted it to be great, but it just wasn’t. It was kind of sad.

The sound was awful for about half the gig (where were Frank’s bass and vocals?). It sorted itself out eventually, but the Barras is usually pretty good for sound.

The playing was pretty tight, but I realised that Charlie Benante isn't as good as I once thought; he doesn't play double bass drums as fast as he seems to - alternates the beats with tom hits. Cheater!

Scott Ian was on autopilot. Standing still and nodding his head for most of the set. Leaping around during the first two songs (when the photographers were in the pit).

Dan Spitz and Joey Belladonna seemed genuinely glad to be back (I had to laugh at Spitz when they played ‘Got The Time’!), but I was cringing, cos it's obviously all about cash. They must know that, right?! Belladonna kept talking about how good it is to be back. I felt sorry for him.

Frank Bello is pretty much the frontman of that band. How can a 40 year old bass player act like that onstage?!

Speaking of perspective, I was cringing during Indians. It cheapens the subject matter. You know; the whole 'stolen land, displaced indigenous people' issue being reduced to rhyming "cry" with "die" and dancing around in a headdress (thankfully he didn't do that last night.).

I can’t believe they played I’m The Man. It was embarrassing in 1987…

I know I’m talking it down, but I alternated between feeling ridiculous and quite liking it. I think my problem was that when I was a kid, I believed in bands like Anthrax so much and now I see them for what they are.

So, the upshot is I feel odd, sad and a bit ripped off. Much like most people in the UK will feel this morning, but for different reasons.

Here’s what someone else on a Scottish messageboard said about the gig;
“Nostalgia trips are always dodgy, I made sure I had plenty pints of 80, that way I lost all the 'my this could be shite’ inhibitions and just got down the front and watched Joey and Frank play the exact same way they did between 86/88. Bizarre, cheesy, sweaty and mildly enjoyable! Doubt I'd go back though.”

I feel the same way; mildly enjoyable, as long as you don’t think about it too much. Not a great recommendation, and certainly not a great basis for a re-launch of their career if that’s what they’re planning.

Don't do nostalgia kids!

Ross___ said:
I last saw Anthrax in 1988 at the same venue

Think your memory is failing you there. ;) I was at both gigs they played here in the 80's (with Metallica and later Testament) and they were both at the Edinburgh Playhouse. I remember it specifically 'cause I interviewed Testament backstage for my mate's fanzine.

I thought the show last night was great, best I've been them since the Testament gig... infinitely better than all the nu-metal pish they've been putting out for the last decade. :)

i totally dissagree with you man. I though it was a class gig. Frankies bass was sorted after two songs, it was amazing to hear the solos being played note for note and joey nailing the vocals. It was amazing just to hear all the old school cos in any set with john its the bit i look forward to the most

so you didn´t really see it live with Bush, Ross? If you had, it would be more interesting from you to compare both eras...
anyway how about the mighty Jockthrax. Where the fuck is he? Was he there?

Danny looked like Tommy Lee or something... all he did was pose.

Scott didn't make eye contact with anyone else in the band... for obvious reasons.

Frankie... solid as usual.

Charlie... no complaints.

Joey... cool to see... too close to the front to appreciate his vocals.

Overall, I thought it was a good gig but Scott looked so unhappy, it was quite gay. I was tempted to spit at Spitz (it was Anthrax not fucking Motley!) plus he wasn't loud enough.

The set list was OK too.

I doubt the band will make it back to America intact.

ukhc said:
Think your memory is failing you there. ;) I was at both gigs they played here in the 80's (with Metallica and later Testament) and they were both at the Edinburgh Playhouse. I remember it specifically 'cause I interviewed Testament backstage for my mate's fanzine.

I thought the show last night was great, best I've been them since the Testament gig... infinitely better than all the nu-metal pish they've been putting out for the last decade. :)

Nope. They did play at the Barras in the late 80s. I thought it was 1989.

And one thing. From the drummer´s perspective, how could Charlie have alternated double bass with floor tom, you mean that he did his double bass strokes with hands on the FT? Hell, in keeping rythm, that would be even more difficult...

Ross___ said:
I was at Glasgow Barrowlands last night.

I last saw Anthrax in 1988 at the same venue and I was 17. That was 17 years ago. There were lots of people my age there. It’s not that I’ve stopped going to gigs or listening to music; it’s all I do. My tastes have changed and I think that has given me a little perspective on the whole reunion thing.

(Also, I loved SOWN when it came out, so this isn't old school/Belladonna/Bush bullshit)

Firstly I need to tell you that I was grinning from ear to ear when they came onstage to the Blues Brothers intro. Then they went into Among The Living and I was right back in 1987!

…for about five minutes.

I don’t think you could accuse me of not being open-minded or not getting into the spirit of the thing – I loved this band. I wanted it to be great, but it just wasn’t. It was kind of sad.

The sound was awful for about half the gig (where were Frank’s bass and vocals?). It sorted itself out eventually, but the Barras is usually pretty good for sound.

The playing was pretty tight, but I realised that Charlie Benante isn't as good as I once thought; he doesn't play double bass drums as fast as he seems to - alternates the beats with tom hits. Cheater!

Scott Ian was on autopilot. Standing still and nodding his head for most of the set. Leaping around during the first two songs (when the photographers were in the pit).

Dan Spitz and Joey Belladonna seemed genuinely glad to be back (I had to laugh at Spitz when they played ‘Got The Time’!), but I was cringing, cos it's obviously all about cash. They must know that, right?! Belladonna kept talking about how good it is to be back. I felt sorry for him.

Frank Bello is pretty much the frontman of that band. How can a 40 year old bass player act like that onstage?!

Speaking of perspective, I was cringing during Indians. It cheapens the subject matter. You know; the whole 'stolen land, displaced indigenous people' issue being reduced to rhyming "cry" with "die" and dancing around in a headdress (thankfully he didn't do that last night.).

I can’t believe they played I’m The Man. It was embarrassing in 1987…

I know I’m talking it down, but I alternated between feeling ridiculous and quite liking it. I think my problem was that when I was a kid, I believed in bands like Anthrax so much and now I see them for what they are.

So, the upshot is I feel odd, sad and a bit ripped off. Much like most people in the UK will feel this morning, but for different reasons.

Here’s what someone else on a Scottish messageboard said about the gig;
“Nostalgia trips are always dodgy, I made sure I had plenty pints of 80, that way I lost all the 'my this could be shite’ inhibitions and just got down the front and watched Joey and Frank play the exact same way they did between 86/88. Bizarre, cheesy, sweaty and mildly enjoyable! Doubt I'd go back though.”

I feel the same way; mildly enjoyable, as long as you don’t think about it too much. Not a great recommendation, and certainly not a great basis for a re-launch of their career if that’s what they’re planning.

Don't do nostalgia kids!

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on last nights gig, and agree with some of your points.

Taken as a one off gig, it was hugely enjoyable, especially listening to the likes of Medusa again. I thought the audience reponse was amazing, especially during Indians.

The obvious decisions is regarding the choice of singer and the material that goes with him. I thought Joey was great last night, he is obviously chuffed to bits to be there and has a very different vibe and presence to John. I think Joey would do a great job singing John's tunes. Personally I think SOWN was a massive leap forward in terms of songwriting, and that has generally continued with subsequent albums. If Joey continues he will enevitably be singing Bush material, and probably do it well.

I thought Danny was awesome, and there is an obvious chemistry between Danny, Joey and Frankie. His solo's and general showmanship was terrific, and I would love to see him back permenantly.

I don't think there is a lot of money to be made in this, and I think comments on that are wide of the mark. I think Charlie's stated intentions on this are sincere. Taken at face value this is a good idea, but must surely present problems when it comes to an end.

Would a new album with Joey/Danny be more likely to be a commercial success than John/Rob?

Would Frankie's obvious joy at sharing the stage with them lead to him quitting if John/Rob came back? Indeed did he quit because he wanted Joey/Danny back last year?

There are many more questions to be answered, we must be patient!!:headbang:

scottishthrax said:
Would Frankie's obvious joy at sharing the stage with them lead to him quitting if John/Rob came back? Indeed did he quit because he wanted Joey/Danny back last year?

No. No.

scottishthrax said:
Personally I think SOWN was a massive leap forward in terms of songwriting, and that has generally continued with subsequent albums. \

You think so? SOWN was still halfway enjoyable but stomp 442 was a monster and so was Volume 8 not one memorable song on those two, WCFYA was a little better but not very ANTHRAX at all!

I think they should maybe take "only" and "room for one more" in the set but not futher than that as far as Bush era songs!

Lots to reply to.

UKHC - They did play the Barras on the Euphoria tour. My memory is not failing me, thank you. The support was Kings X. It MIGHT have been 1989, but that gig did happen. As far as you being at "both gigs they played here in the 80's" is concerned, are you including the Playhouse gig with Living Colour too? No? Hmm.

Disciple; I agree that Dan was posing, but his solos were spot on and he was a lot more entertaining to watch than Scott (who, as you say, didn't look at anyone else on stage...I'd go further - he kept interrupting Joey by playing guitar over what he was saying).

Scottishthrax; The money issue. I think I said the motivation was money. I think they realise (or at least Scott and Charlie realise) that they've miscalculated on that score. There will be no huge cash-in record deal. Not because they don't want to do it (please!), but because there isn't the demand.

Johnnie, the Charlie drumming thing; it's when he's doing triplets. The third beat is supplied by the tom. He often throws that into songs as part of a fill or on a whim and I used to think it was all double bass beats. It's not. It's hard to explain cos I'm not a drummer, but I've played in a million bands for a million years. When I called him a cheater, I wasn't entirely serious (hence the exclamation point), but I stand by what I said - he's not as good as I thought he was. He barely hits the snare during fast beats too.

Joeys vocals were spot on too. I always remember him being a little lazy live, but his singing was great. (the 'mutual appreciation' thing between him and Spitz was hilarious and cheesy!).

*sigh*

Look, I liked a lot of the gig, but the stuff I mentioned was what stuck with me as I drove home. I don't want to be a knife in the ball, but aspects of the gig really bothered me.

As I don't believe I have to slavishly follow a band just because I once loved their music, I'll be watching with interest to see what happens to Anthrax.

spacebeer said:
You think so? SOWN was still halfway enjoyable but stomp 442 was a monster and so was Volume 8 not one memorable song on those two, WCFYA was a little better but not very ANTHRAX at all!

I think they should maybe take "only" and "room for one more" in the set but not futher than that as far as Bush era songs!

Safe Home,Hy Pro Glo,Potters Field,What Doesnt Die,Fuelled,Refuse to be denied,Anyplace but here........Just a few without thinking!!!

I have to Say....

I Have Seen Anthrax 5 Times With Belladonna and 3 Times With Bush.

I have to treat them as 2 seperate bands!!!

But I have to say I enjoyed the Glasgow gig last night......It wasnt Quite 1987 but it was good.

Please dont record together though........The Way Forward is With BUSH!!!

Sort out the Record Promotion etc....The Material has always been good enough . If not its getting better!!

....Dont go looking back for the old fans who dumped you.

johnnieCzech said:
This sentence should be carved in fucking stone.

hmm. im 20 and wasnt around during the 80's and im a massive belladonna/ old school thrash fan and i know a lot lot more. Just cos they wrote these songs long ago dont mean that new fans cant enjoy them more or as much as the bush material. when they played them last night the felt fresh

It's an opinion. There's no doubt about that.

What does "im a massive belladonna/ old school thrash fan and i know a lot lot more" mean?

More than what?!

he was making the point that they should stop trying to get their old fans back but, im trying to say thatthe can still make new fans with the old belladonna era songs

the_walking_dude said:
he was making the point that they should stop trying to get their old fans back but, im trying to say thatthe can still make new fans with the old belladonna era songs

damn straight bro! belladonna all the way, i had an awesome night, thought joey ruled! maybe they were better back in the day, but since im a young un, this is the closest ill get to that! :D