Glasgow Barrowlands. An honest review.

Ross___ said:
Lots to reply to.

UKHC - They did play the Barras on the Euphoria tour. My memory is not failing me, thank you. The support was Kings X. It MIGHT have been 1989, but that gig did happen. As far as you being at "both gigs they played here in the 80's" is concerned, are you including the Playhouse gig with Living Colour too? No? Hmm.

Disciple; I agree that Dan was posing, but his solos were spot on and he was a lot more entertaining to watch than Scott (who, as you say, didn't look at anyone else on stage...I'd go further - he kept interrupting Joey by playing guitar over what he was saying).

Scottishthrax; The money issue. I think I said the motivation was money. I think they realise (or at least Scott and Charlie realise) that they've miscalculated on that score. There will be no huge cash-in record deal. Not because they don't want to do it (please!), but because there isn't the demand.

Johnnie, the Charlie drumming thing; it's when he's doing triplets. The third beat is supplied by the tom. He often throws that into songs as part of a fill or on a whim and I used to think it was all double bass beats. It's not. It's hard to explain cos I'm not a drummer, but I've played in a million bands for a million years. When I called him a cheater, I wasn't entirely serious (hence the exclamation point), but I stand by what I said - he's not as good as I thought he was. He barely hits the snare during fast beats too.

Joeys vocals were spot on too. I always remember him being a little lazy live, but his singing was great. (the 'mutual appreciation' thing between him and Spitz was hilarious and cheesy!).

*sigh*

Look, I liked a lot of the gig, but the stuff I mentioned was what stuck with me as I drove home. I don't want to be a knife in the ball, but aspects of the gig really bothered me.

As I don't believe I have to slavishly follow a band just because I once loved their music, I'll be watching with interest to see what happens to Anthrax.

I would agree that Scott did look "out on a limb" last night. There was little, if any, interaction between him and Joey/Danny, which i guess was greatly highlighted by how stoked Frankie looked to be back with them.

I think, like you, that the remainder of the year is going to very interesting!

I really enjoy last night im too young to see them back in the day so im pleased i got my chance to :D & would love another album with spitz & belladona

Ross___ said:
are you including the Playhouse gig with Living Colour too? No? Hmm.

Haha, no, I forgot that one, apologies. Seems there were 4 gigs in the 80's then, with Metallica in September '86, with Testament in November '87, with Living Colour in March '89 and with Kings X in June '89. I thought the Kings X show was a little later.

Hmmm, it´s gonna be interesting to see Thrax in June when theyhave a fair share of reunion shows behind them. Ross revíew and the general opinons seems to be what I thought: Good fun for your money but nothing exceptional (well besides Frankies stage act). Looking forward to Napalm Death, Thrax and Megadeth in June.

johnnieCzech said:
so you didn´t really see it live with Bush, Ross? If you had, it would be more interesting from you to compare both eras...
anyway how about the mighty Jockthrax. Where the fuck is he? Was he there?

I was there Johnnie, in all honesty i enjoyed the concert. However the Bush era gigs i have went to shit all over the Joey one. The return to the Barra's with Bush was 100 times better than last nite.

I was there last night and agree with various comments already made about it being a bit sad. The whole thing felt a wee bit forced to be honest. Scott Ian was in a world of his own (choice?) for most of the show.

Spent most of the night thinking Dan Spitz looked utterly ridiculous posing away shirtless (methinks that facially he's be under the knife a few times) but was forced to reevaluate that when Joey quite clearly eclipsed him in the ridiculous stakes during Indians. 10 sizes too big ice hockey shirt and a ludicrous baseball cap which would have fitted a horses head.

The rest of the band were bringing the eighties back to life on stage but Belladonna doesn't look like he ever really left the eighties.

Poor and contrived. Fast and heavy yes. But then again, so is a lorry.

p.s. Is it just me or does Joey have the least chat of any front man I've ever seen.

"Aaaawlright"
"13 years man"
"You dig this shit"
"Hey <insert city name here> we love you man"

etc etc repeat ad infinitum.

A nice novelty but bring back Bush.

Being a young 'un I thought the gig was amazing, ATL is without a doubt my fav thrax album and it was cool to see all that stuff as it was meant!
Spitz' posing was getting annoying after a while tho but Joey was amazing, and Frankie is the man!
Did anyone else see Joey giving Scott the finger towards the end? maybe I missed something beforehand?

caledoniaman said:
I was there last night and agree with various comments already made about it being a bit sad. The whole thing felt a wee bit forced to be honest. Scott Ian was in a world of his own (choice?) for most of the show.

Spent most of the night thinking Dan Spitz looked utterly ridiculous posing away shirtless (methinks that facially he's be under the knife a few times) but was forced to reevaluate that when Joey quite clearly eclipsed him in the ridiculous stakes during Indians. 10 sizes too big ice hockey shirt and a ludicrous baseball cap which would have fitted a horses head.

The rest of the band were bringing the eighties back to life on stage but Belladonna doesn't look like he ever really left the eighties.

p.s. Is it just me or does Joey have the least chat of any front man I've ever seen.

"Aaaawlright"
"13 years man"
"You dig this shit"

I love it !!!

I remember in the 80s when they played at Donnigton and said "Hello London" and at Whitley Bay when he said its great to be back in Newcastle playing here
......Seems a nice guy but ...fucking do some home work before you open your mouth

ukhc said:
Think your memory is failing you there. ;) I was at both gigs they played here in the 80's (with Metallica and later Testament) and they were both at the Edinburgh Playhouse.

State of Euphoria tour 1988 Glasgow Barrowlands. The night is ingraned on my memory for 2 reasons.
1) I got to met Joey that night.
2) Scot an Dan fighting with the security for hitting a crowd surfer

caledoniaman said:

"Aaaawlright"
"13 years man"
"You dig this shit"

Said like a champion my friend. :headbang:

Well I loved it, I have never seen them with Joey or Spitz before, and they played Lone Justice which is a song I love. rounded off the night by going the cathouse, where not only was everthing was £1:60, but they actually played good music. A mixture of Death, Thrash & Power metal mainly. Over all I had a grin like a cheshire cat on my face all night.

SO STUFF WHAT ANY ONE ELSE SAYS.

I have to say though I did miss a lot of the Bush era tunes especially "Only"