Stop telling Lies Ross, Barrowlands fantastic

Teacher Dave

Jul 2, 2003
GLASGOW
Visit site
Guys, I'm less than pleased by the total and utter crap posted by the newbie twat below. He is entitled to his opinions, but much of what he has stated as fact is fucking lies. Let's go through it. For the record I was there in 87 andat the Bush gigs too. I love Bush and have disagreed with Caggiano when he insisted on paying our cab fare, so no bias, ok??

Ross says -

I was at Glasgow Barrowlands last night.

I last saw Anthrax in 1988 at the same venue and I was 17. That was 17 years ago. There were lots of people my age there. It’s not that I’ve stopped going to gigs or listening to music; it’s all I do. My tastes have changed and I think that has given me a little perspective on the whole reunion thing.

(Also, I loved SOWN when it came out, so this isn't old school/Belladonna/Bush bullshit)

Firstly I need to tell you that I was grinning from ear to ear when they came onstage to the Blues Brothers intro. Then they went into Among The Living and I was right back in 1987!

…for about five minutes.

I don’t think you could accuse me of not being open-minded or not getting into the spirit of the thing – I loved this band. I wanted it to be great, but it just wasn’t. It was kind of sad.

---Fair enough, your opinion. I disagree.

The sound was awful for about half the gig (where were Frank’s bass and vocals?). It sorted itself out eventually, but the Barras is usually pretty good for sound.

---Lies. The sound was fine throughout apart from the odd slip at the beginning of a solo.

The playing was pretty tight, but I realised that Charlie Benante isn't as good as I once thought; he doesn't play double bass drums as fast as he seems to - alternates the beats with tom hits. Cheater!

--I read your other post about this, you know absolutely FUCK ALL about drumming and can't admit you made a mistake. CB has NEVER lied about what he plays, watch the videos. You just didn't understand what he was playing and you're trying to call him a cheat or a liar. Fuck you!

Scott Ian was on autopilot. Standing still and nodding his head for most of the set. Leaping around during the first two songs (when the photographers were in the pit).

---Liar. Again. Scott was giving 100% and I was at the barrier right in front of him all night. He goofed a bit with one photographer, mainly because they are best friends and Scott wanted some good official pics. I'm sure you would rather see shit pics.

Dan Spitz and Joey Belladonna seemed genuinely glad to be back (I had to laugh at Spitz when they played ‘Got The Time’!), but I was cringing, cos it's obviously all about cash. They must know that, right?! Belladonna kept talking about how good it is to be back. I felt sorry for him.

--What the fuck do you know about Anthrax and their finances?

Frank Bello is pretty much the frontman of that band. How can a 40 year old bass player act like that onstage?!

---This is the stupidest lie of all. Bello was being Bello to the full. He's been like that since day one. If you think he is the frontman of the band then you are totally clueless son.

Speaking of perspective, I was cringing during Indians. It cheapens the subject matter. You know; the whole 'stolen land, displaced indigenous people' issue being reduced to rhyming "cry" with "die" and dancing around in a headdress (thankfully he didn't do that last night.).

---Your opinion, fair enough. I couldn't disagree more.

I can’t believe they played I’m The Man. It was embarrassing in 1987…

I know I’m talking it down, but I alternated between feeling ridiculous and quite liking it. I think my problem was that when I was a kid, I believed in bands like Anthrax so much and now I see them for what they are.

---I see you for what you are - a boring old bastard who knows fuck all about Anthrax or music in general. Your posts have proved this.

So, the upshot is I feel odd, sad and a bit ripped off. Much like most people in the UK will feel this morning, but for different reasons.

Here’s what someone else on a Scottish messageboard said about the gig;
“Nostalgia trips are always dodgy, I made sure I had plenty pints of 80, that way I lost all the 'my this could be shite’ inhibitions and just got down the front and watched Joey and Frank play the exact same way they did between 86/88. Bizarre, cheesy, sweaty and mildly enjoyable! Doubt I'd go back though.”

---What, so you have to be smashed to enjoy the gig?? That goes against everything Anthrax have ever said. Listen to Metallica instead.

---Some asshole also stated that there was no eye contact between Joey and Scott. LIE. I was there and I was looking for it and I saw it. Anyone who has ever spent 2 seconds in Scott's company knows that A) He's not a big eye contact guy unless he knows you well. B) He is polite but VERY wary of strangers and keeps himself to himself C) Prefers the company of those he knows well and is comfortable with. He was A1 on stage last night and had more contact in general with Joey than I ever saw him have with Bush. He's in his own world up there, anyone can see that. He rarely even makes direct eye contact with those in the front row, more a general look than at someone in particular...

It makes me angry that one liar can come on this board and talk crap (though like I said he is entitled to his OPINIONS). American fans want the lowdown and the truth is that both Spitz and Joey are BETTER than they were in the day. The vocals were great with no missed notes or high notes lowered. Spitz guitar was a LITTLE low in the mix on the odd occasion (usually the beginning of a solo but he ripped the leads off the record and looked so relaxed and comfortable it was unreal. The band AALL looked really happy, like they haven't looked on stage for years. The chemisty is back, big time. Don't believe the lies, I'm telling you the truth, guys.
TD

Ohhh NO!!!! Another TD??? :yell: :yell:
I seen the show in Detroit and it was shit also(but that is MY opinion, as there are many who thought it was great). Ross is entitled to his opinions and can state them however he feels..He has been psyched about the show for some time now and hasn't been talking shit in the least. If he feels that way about the show then, oh well. It wasn't like he was standing there waiting for it to suck. It was just the opposite, he wanted it to kick ass and if he feels like they didn't deliver, then that is his opinion.

Bullshit. Some of what he said was a pack of lies. He can say he hates anthrax and they are a pile of shit and I'll respect his right to do so, but when he tells lies and states them as facts then he is a stupid lying prick. End.

"the truth is that both Spitz and Joey are BETTER than they were in the day."

No, that's YOUR opinion. Just like the other guy has his opinion. Get off your high horse. Your opinion isn't fact.

No, I think you need to get a grip!!!! Seriously how can you call someone a "stupid lying prick" for stating how HE feels about a show....Again, I saw the show in Detroit and I thought Ross's review was pretty spot on in contrast to the Detroit show. However, there were plenty of people who thought the Detroit show was awesome. Again, it's all a matter of opinion

Ease up lads. After reading Teacher Dave's opinions, compared to Ross_'s, I would have to say I'd believe this thread more. No disrespect to anyone on here, I wasn't at the Glasgow gig, although I had tix, but had to pull out last minute. But what Dave says here, seems to tie in with the general scenario with the Dublin gig the night before. I'm not saying that I think Ross is lying, or is a prick. Anything but. It just seems so far removed from what I witnessed a day earlier, that I did find it hard to believe.

Cheers Dave. I took a friend to the gig, he's not a metal fan but he is an Anthrax fan after we dragged him to the Barra's/ Garage a few times. His MP3 player contains tracks by the Beatles, Bowie, the Killers and What doesnt die, Potters field, caught in a mosh. He has now been to 4 Bush gigs and last nite was his first Belladonna gig. He was dissapointed. I'm gutted talking about Anthrax like this but for me it was like being a StarWars fan going to see the Phantom Menace.

Dave, I'm surprised you didn't enjoy the gig, I personally loved Dublin. I was looking forward to hearing your views on the show. In saying that, a couple of my friends who went along to the Ambassador were somewhat disappointed, and said that if Anthrax came back with Joey, then they wouldn't be there, so I suppose not everyone will enjoy the show. Even though I enjoyed the reunion show, I think I'm ready to hear some new stuff with John back in the band. Like I said before, for my it's a nostalgia trip, and after half an hour in the pit I realised than I'm not 16 anymore, although it was enjoyable pretending that I am. :D

Fucking hell, that's strong! I thought the setlist was choice and I loved Joey's voice and attitude to the fans, especially when he signed and chatted on his way from stage to dressing room. He was down on his knees screaming the words to Indians right in my face, staring into me and getting it right back. Spitz was clearly a bit nuts but his soloing fkn SMOKED. For the record I think Cagianno should produce Anthrax forever and if Bush and He returned tomorrow then I'd be very happy indeed but what I saw was a very happy lookin band last night who really fkn gelled and those around me said they felt the same. Rob is a fkn cool guy and all I can say is he rules like the drunk mohicaned lovegod he knows he is, haha.

maybe he was just stating his OPINION. That´s not LIE. For the record, I think you totally misunderstood his "Frank Bello" comment. And Ross was among the ones to slag me for bitching...before he saw the show. Go figure.
On the other hand, I would agree with you on that drumming comment. I think hitting FT in double bass triplets was not cheating. It may enrich the sound.

Some people are gonna like the show some aren't. Some people are giving the reunion a chance some aren't. Who cares!? I just hope Anthrax comes up to Toronto at some point. If they don't I'll just go to the closest Canadian city that they play at. I wish I could've been at the Detroit show, but I had to work on the 29th and 30th, and couldn't get time off. Trying to find a replacement guitar teacher for a Friday and Saturday can be a little hard, believe it or not! :lol: