GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1995

Nov 23, 2002
ok so i cheated, since yall wouldn't shut up about it. if the random number gods strike me down you'll know why.

go here if you're new and need an explanation of scoring etc, but long story short: post your top ten releases from 1995 (EPs/demos/whatever are welcome) and don't call sepultura death metal, idiots.

enjoy!

p.s. if anyone has an opinion on whether/how i should break ties, do say so. i've just been putting =# so far, but when two albums are tied should the one with the most votes win? the least votes? or is what i'm doing so far fine? does anyone even give a fuck?!

1. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
2. Nåstrond - Toteslaut
3. Graveland - Thousand Swords
4. Necromantia - Scarlet Evil, Witching Black
5. Arckanum - Fran Marder
6. Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
7. Legion of Doom - Kingdom of Endless Darkness
8. Saint Vitus - Die Healing
9. Abigor - Nachthymnen (...From the Twilight Kingdom)
10. Varathron - Walpurgisnacht

I'm leaving off EPs this time - it's hard enough as is. I have way too many albums of a similar level of quality and less clear standouts.

Honourable mentions:

Septic Flesh - Esoptron
Throne of Ahaz - Nifelheim
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Mortem - Demon Tales
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil
Sinister - Hate

1. Coroner - S/T
2. Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
3. In the Name - In the Name
4. Saint Vitus - Die Healing
5. Payne's Gray - Kadath Decoded
6. Mayfair - Die Flucht
7. Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity
8. Death - Symbolic
9. Catharsis - Pathways to Wholeness
10. Saber Tiger - Timystery

1. Saint Vitus - Die Healing
2. Necromantia - Scarlet Evil, Witching Black
3. Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
4. Nifelheim - Nifelheim
5. Blood Farmers - Blood Farmers
6. Varathron - Walpurgisnacht
7. Mutiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
8. Absu - The Sun of Tiphareth
9. Deicide - Once Upon the Cross
10. Kataklysm - Sorcery

This will probably change so no ranking yet:

1) Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
2) Death - Symbolic
3) Yngwie Malmsteen - Magnum Opus
3) End Zone - First Bequest
5) Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Symphony X - The Damnation Game
Motorhead - Sacrifice
Grip Inc. - The Power of Inner Strength
Voivod - Negatron
10) Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis

HM:
Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler
Trizna - Out of Step
Hypnosia - Horror Infernal
Gehennah - Hardrocker
Entropy - Transcendence
Form - I Choose My Own
Droys - Experience

Need to review some of these more uncommon thrash albums and properly rank them, but this is a start. Just happens to be the year of my other favorite Dream Theater album also

Last edited:
This will probably be the most fun year to date to scower. Black metal was in full form and death metal was still strong. The year also might have my favorite power and doom metal records (Imaginations From the Other Side and The Angel and the Dark River, respectively)
p.s. if anyone has an opinion on whether/how i should break ties, do say so. i've just been putting =# so far, but when two albums are tied should the one with the most votes win? the least votes? or is what i'm doing so far fine? does anyone even give a fuck?!

You could argue it either way, but the simplest and easiest is probably most votes.

This will probably be the most fun year to date to scower. Black metal was in full form and death metal was still strong. The year also might have my favorite power and doom metal records (Imaginations From the Other Side and The Angel and the Dark River, respectively)

You could argue it either way, but the simplest and easiest is probably most votes.

I'd say black metal wasn't as strong this year as in the years immediately following and preceding it - not that that says much, considering what those years brought us.

Fucking hell this was hard. Had to take Summoning, Skyclad, Dismember, Gamma Ray and Grave Digger out.
  1. Saint Vitus - Die Healing
  2. Mourn - Mourn
  3. Autopsy - Shitfun
  4. Running Wild - Masquerade
  5. Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
  6. Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell pt. II
  7. Revelation - Yet So Far
  8. Yngwie Malmsteen - Magnum Opus
  9. Lordian Guard - Lordian Guard
  10. Gehennah - Hardrocker

Wow more stuff this year than I thought, I would not suprised if I change this list drastically before closing time. Top 5 is probably locked though.

1. Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
2. Ulver - Bergtatt
3. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
4. Saint Vitus - Die Healing
5. Summoning - Minas Morgul
6. Graveland - Thousand Swords
7. Varathron - Walpurgisnacht
8. Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
9. Vlad Tepes/Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust
10. Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters

Fuck me, there are so many worthy runner ups like:

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Blind Guardan- Imaginations From the Other SIde
Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Nåstrond - Toteslaut
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Lordian Guard - Lordian Guard
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
Anathema - The Silent Enigma

Baroque said:
1) Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
1) Death - Symbolic
3) Yngwie Malmsteen - Magnum Opus
3) End Zone - First Bequest
5) Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Symphony X - The Damnation Game
Motorhead - Sacrifice
Grip Inc. - The Power of Inner Strength
Voivod - Negatron
10) Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis

HM:
Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler
Trizna - Out of Step
Hypnosia - Horror Infernal
Gehennah - Hardrocker
Entropy - Transcendence
Form - I Choose My Own
Droys - Experience

No country is going to hate me but this is how I honestly wish to rank these albums. ..again subject to change depending on the HM relistens

1. My Dying Bride - The Angel and the River
2. Suffocation - Pierced From Within
3. Down - NOLA
4. Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
5. Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
6. Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
7. Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thuléehttps://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/blut_aus_nord/ultima_thulee/
8. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
9. Morbid Angel - Domination
10. At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

I'd say black metal wasn't as strong this year as in the years immediately following and preceding it - not that that says much, considering what those years brought us.

1994 is my favorite year in black metal, but the whole stretch from 1993-1997 is off the hook.

Glad to see Vampires of Black Imperial Blood making a lot of lists early on. The first two Mutiilation full-lengths should be involved in any discussion of the greatest black metal albums.

I've got five locks for this list (Dissection, Opeth, Mutiilation, Blind Guardian, and My Dying Bride) and then a shit-ton of competition for the other five spots. Gonna be tough but fun.

Glad to see Vampires of Black Imperial Blood making a lot of lists early on. The first two Mutiilation full-lengths should be involved in any discussion of the greatest black metal albums.

Definitely. So far I havent seen anything in anybodies list that would top it for me, though there might be a few close calls. VoBIB is easily in my top 10 BM albums and is the peak of the LLN imo.

I think im going to start participating in these. I might wait until a little later on when more people post so that I dont miss anything that should be on my list, but this is going to involve a bit of research.

Remains of a Ruined Cursed Dead Soul > Vampires of Black Imperial Blood. I'm not sure Vampires will make my list for this year.

Slayed Necros' list reminded me of that Abigor album being released this year so I will have to relisten to that to see if it makes my list.

But yeah, hope you do post a list. I feel like this year will have less votes than the previous two for some reason.