GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1995

i think i like this year better than '92 tbh. bit surprised to be saying that, but BM being more established really helps with the depth.

But it's nearly all black metal that makes up the best albums from this year. Can't think of much truly great from other genres at the minute.

Crimsonflloyd said that death metal was still strong this year, but I'm struggling to really think of anything highly acclaimed in the underground. Save for perphaps Dissafected's Vast, Wicked Innocence's Omnipotence, Imprecation's Theurgia Goetia Summa and of course Suffocation's Pierced from Within. I'm not personally huge on Wicked Innocence or that Suffo album and I actually prefer the latest Imprecation album to that one.

Last edited:
But it's nearly all black metal that makes up the best albums from this year. Can't think of much truly great from other genres at the minutes.

Crimsonflloyd said that death metal was still strong this year, but I'm struggling to really think of anything highly acclaimed in the underground. Save for perphaps Diassfected's Vast, Wicked Innocence's Omnipotence, Imprecation's Theurgia Goetia Summa and of course Suffocation's Pierced from Within. I'm not personally huge on Wicked Innocence or that Suffo album and I actually prefer the latest Imprecations album to that one.

Yeah as I'm going through the releases I might have to take that death metal statement back.

Reactions: Phylactery
But it's nearly all black metal that makes up the best albums from this year. Can't think of much truly great from other genres at the minutes.

Crimsonflloyd said that death metal was still strong this year, but I'm struggling to really think of anything highly acclaimed in the underground. Save for perphaps Diassfected's Vast, Wicked Innocence's Omnipotence, Imprecation's Theurgia Goetia Summa and of course Suffocation's Pierced from Within. I'm not personally huge on Wicked Innocence or that Suffo album and I actually prefer the latest Imprecations album to that one.

fair point. my RYM friends' DM top five is suffocation, kataklysm, septic flesh, incantation and sinister, not exactly a thrilling list. i do think i'll prefer my 95 list to my 92 one though.

Reactions: Phylactery
... but Symbolic was released in 95, which is one of the greatest death metal albums of all time. But yeah, overall not really a strong year for death metal

I can't get into Death post-Human so I didn't mention Symbolic. I might give it another listen soon to see if my opinion has changed, but I don't recall anything special about it. It does have a massively high average rating on RYM.

Yeah, I forgot it was a compilation of previously released material, so it probably wouldn't even count. 1995 just wasn't a great year for death metal.

Dissafected's Vast is probably my favourite, but I haven't listened to it in absolutely ages. That Septic Flesh album is quite good, but nothing on the debut.

hence why my list is filled out with EP's, but you guys are overlooking killer DM albums that year by Malevolent - underrated as fuck, and Sinister's Hate is fucking awesome.
Symbolic is average at best, but yeah a shitty year
Swansong anyone? ...at least there was Mortician

After buying each Death release as it was released, ITP was the last good Death album for me...
Crystal Mountain? its Deaths Jump in the Fire. No brutality left in Chuck by then. So piss weak l can't even remember the rest of the album

Those two albums are basically the definition of by-the-books average death metal.

And Hate is definitely not on par with their first two albums .... and their first two are far as fuck from being top tier death metal .. so yeah.

Definitely wasn't a lot of death metal to choose from. Once Upon the Cross is underrated though. I love that album. I also chose the Kataklysm album because the vocalist is still one of the most insane performances I've ever heard. That band went to shit quick after that, sadly.

I do really like all the albums I picked though.

There were some cool death metal albums released that year, besides the ones already mentioned I can think of Massive Killing Capacity, Sorcery (by Kataklysm), Blood & Valour, The Blueprints for Madness, Dawn Bringer, Skin the Living, Rated-X, You'll Never Know Pleasure - Until You've Tasted Pain, Emetic Cult.

And of course:

1. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
2. Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
3. Abigor - Nacthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
4. Symphony X - The Damnation Game
5. Death - Symbolic
6. Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black
7. Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
8. Saint Vitus - Die Healing
9. Ulver - Bergtatt
10. Gamma Ray - Land of the Free

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust (Easily in my top 20)
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery (Another one of my top 20 and one of the best melodic death metal releases of all time)
Graveland - Thousand Swords (Great album)
Opeth - Orchid (Somewhat unrefined compared to their later albums but still has excellent instrumentation and palpable atmosphere)
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Summoning - Minas Morgul (To this day, one of the best LotR-inspired things in this entire genre)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Magnum Opus (Pure shredding badassery that goes straight for the jugular and I love it)
Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Pt. II

Last edited: