GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1995

I have to listen to Remains of a Ruined Cursed Dead Souls as lots of people claim it's better than Vampires. I used to think that Vampires was their finest work up to date, but have to reconsider it then.

Remains is a much harder listen, the production is much worse, in fact it's terrible. The drums sound like cardboard boxes. But the vocals are fucking insane and it conveys the bleak, depressive atmosphere better than Vampires does. It's definitely not the work of someone with a sane mind.

They're different animals. Vampires is very haunting, ghostly and depressively romantic. Remains is absurdly nihilistic and hateful, yet strangely romantic at the same time. It's so grotesque, decrepit, and bleak that it becomes beautiful. Both are phenomenal, but I think Remains is the greater accomplishment.

1) Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
2) Down - NOLA
3) Scum - Purple Dreams & Magic Poems
4) Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee
5) Fear Factory - Demanufacture
6) Suffocation - Pierced from Within
7) Sodom - Masquerade in Blood
8) Septic Flesh - Esoptron
9) Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
10) Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Couldn't fit these:
Vital Remains - Into Cold Darkness
Incantation - Upon the Throne of Apocalypse

Honestly both those Mütiilation albums are so good that I think it comes down to preference (both are god-tier raw BM). Ive always had kind of an infatuation with vampires (before the aesthetic was ruined by modern productions), and VoBIB paints a picture of vampires at their most haunting and horrible, so it resonates a bit more with me. Stoker would have lost his fucking mind if he were able to hear this. The vocals on Remains are better though.

I'm probably in the minority that likes all Mutiilation full lengths. The first two are the classics for sure, but Majestas Leprosus is fucking evil and even Rattenkonig/Sorrow Galaxies have their moments. I haven't heard Remains in it's entirety because I don't own it yet.

I'm probably in the minority that likes all Mutiilation full lengths. The first two are the classics for sure, but Majestas Leprosus is fucking evil and even Rattenkonig/Sorrow Galaxies have their moments. I haven't heard Remains in it's entirety because I don't own it yet.

What about Black Millenium? I don't remember much about it other than it's where they massively cleaned up their sound.

1. Fear Factory - Demanufacture
2. Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
3.Coroner - Coroner
4.Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
5. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
6. Death - Symbolic
7. Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
8. Suffocation - Pierced from Within
9. Vader - De Profundis
10. Bal-Sagoth - Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria

1) King Diamond - The Spider's Lullabye
2) Voivod - Negatron
3) Motorhead - Sacrifice
4) Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
5) Faith No More - King For A Day...
6) Ulver - Bergtatt
7) Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane
8) Vader - De Profundis
9) Deceased - The Blueprints For Madness
10) St. Vitus - Die Healing

Honestly both those Mütiilation albums are so good that I think it comes down to preference (both are god-tier raw BM). Ive always had kind of an infatuation with vampires (before the aesthetic was ruined by modern productions), and VoBIB paints a picture of vampires at their most haunting and horrible, so it resonates a bit more with me. Stoker would have lost his fucking mind if he were able to hear this. The vocals on Remains are better though.
Sounds like i definitely need to check that album out

What about Black Millenium? I don't remember much about it other than it's where they massively cleaned up their sound.

If I'm being honest I haven't heard Black Millenium for a while. The latter day albums are fresh in my mind because Osmose just reissued them and dark descent had them during a sale.

I don't even think my copy of Black Millenium is a legit release. The album art is a nun with her tits exposed and a cross to her vagina.

Reactions: Phylactery
1. Lugubrum - Winterstones
2. Order From Chaos - Dawn Bringer
3. Nåstrond - Toteslaut
4. Dead Infection - A Chapter of Accidents
5. Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
6. Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters
7. Barathrum - Eerie
8. Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet
9. Sinister - Hate
10. Helheim - Jormundgand

Last edited:
this year doesn't have some of the 'high end' that '92 did, but it is still pretty solid throughout also apparently a lot i need to check out

1. necromantia - scarlet evil witching black
2. saint vitus - die healing
3. paul chain - aklahest
4. virgin steele - the marriage of heaven and hell II
5. the gathering - mandylion
6. in the woods - heart of the ages
7. darkthrone - panzerfaust
8. varathron - walpurgisnacht
9. unanimated - ancient god of evil
10. throne of ahaz - nifelheim

1.The Gathering - Mandylion
2.Saint Vitus - Die Healing
3.The 3rd and the Mortal - Nightswan
4.Sieges Even - Sophisticated
5.Coroner - Coroner
6.Shadow Gallery - Carved in Stone
7.Voivod - Negatron
8.Death - Symbolic
9.Lordian Guard - Lordian Guard
10.Hades - Exist to Resist

Last edited:
i think i like this year better than '92 tbh. bit surprised to be saying that, but BM being more established really helps with the depth.