GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1985

7) To Mega Therion by Celtic Frost
The new kingdoms rise by the circle of the tyrants...

"A good chunk of To Mega Therion sounds underdeveloped and boring" - Orion Crystal Ice

"I didn't really like what I heard from Monotheist. However, To Mega Therion is a classic and anyone who doesn't think so is probably retarded." - Whiskey Funeral

"I'm weird about Celtic Frost. I tend to like about 2 to 4 songs off each album, except for To Mega Therion (which is too homogeneous to pick favorites from, and all seems merely decent to me) and Monotheist (which I like most of).

Despite Monotheist being my favorite album of theirs, I think their best songs are scattered throughout their early work. Songs like "Into the Crypts of Rays", "Wings of Solitude", and the "Mexican Radio" cover are just solid gold. " - @zabu of nΩd

"To Mega Therion just plain out rocks... great shit. Took me a long time to finally get CF but one day it just clicked. " - Thoth-Amon

Chosen by:
CIG (#2)

Krow(#2)
Serjeant Grumbles (#4)
Crimsonfloyd (#4)
Zerostatic (#5)
Technical Barbarity (#5)
Anom@nder Rake (#6)
Vegard Pompey (#7)
Atmoic Tide (#7)
Cyanide Christ (#9)
Funerary Doom (#NA)

TOTAL POINTS: 58

Last edited:
6) Seven Churches by Possessed
Now we take over and rule by Death Metal...

"The best death/thrash metal album ever is obviously Seven Churches." - Skeptik

"Seven Churches is way overrated. I'd rather listen to whatever shitty doom metal band Schmidt likes today than that album. " - @The Ozzman

"ControversialOpinion: Possessed - BeyondtheGates > SevenChurches by quite a bit, and I am not crapping on Seven Churches at all here. On top of that, Beyond the Gates is probably THE MOST underrated metal album in existence. On top of that, it probably would make the top 20 metal albums of all time. " - @alex76

"Haven't listened to Beyond the Gates in a while, but i remember it being a boring as fuck, generic death/thrash album. Maybe i need to give it another shot. I much prefer Seven Churches." - @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen by:
Sirjack (#2)

Serjeant Grumbles (#2)
Anom@nder Rake (#3)
Krow (#3)
Mort Divine (#3)
Alex76 (#4)
Atmoic Tide (#6)
Manic Ferocity (#6)
Cyanide Christ (#6)

Radical Thrasher (#7)
Slayed Necros (#7)
Crimsonfloyd (#10)
Phylactery (#10)
Zerostatic (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 60

Last edited:
5) Infernal Overkill by Destruction
Priest, priest, child of satan see the omens of death...

"Infernal Overkill is still missing from all of your lists. what a bunch of fags " - Thoth-Amon

"infernal overkill is obviously the best destruction, and that's including sentence of death " - @no country for old wainds

"Infernal Overkill has more in common with Tormentor than many things labeled first-wave black metal, not to mention that Schmier was an obvious pioneer of the vocal style, so I don't see the issue." - @HamburgerBoy

"I've got a soft spot for Pleasure to Kill as it's the album that pretty much got me into metal, but I think even without that I would take it over Infernal Overkill and In the Sign of Evil. Just slightly though, as all three of those are about equal in terms of quality. " - Addo of Nex

Chosen by:
Phylactery (#3)

Slayed Necros (#3)
Technical Barbarity (#4)
Alex76 (#5)
Dazed and Brutal (#5)
Zerostatic (#6)
Anom'nder Rake (#8)
Crimsonfloyd (#8)
Omni (#8)
Atomic Tide (#9)
No Country for Old Wainds (#9)
Talos of Atmora (#10)
Baroque (#NA)

TOTAL POINTS: 66

Last edited:
4) Killing is My Business... and Business is Good! by Megadeth
I’ll recall my perils they’ll kill me in pride...

"Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good destroys all of the rest of Megadeth's discography." - Skeptik

"Early Megadeth was pretty good.

Killing is my Business...and Business Is Good, and So Far, So Good...So What! being my two favorites. " - @Dazed and Brutal

"I don't know anyone even gives a shit about this band. Nothing they have done is really that great, not even Killing is my Business or Peace Sells. I'd rather listen to early Slayer or Metallica any day." - @Master_Yoda77

"Killing is My Business, their only album without at least one bad song. The three after are all very good but manage to fuck it all up with a dud or two. " - @HamburgerBoy

"RIP had everything-great riffs and memorable solos, better song writing(as opposed to previous lyrical content-like 502, mechanix, and the production was outstanding. The thing that killed KIMB was the production sucked ass, the remaster was better but as far as sound quality it doesnt compare. Everything upto and including Youth was solid " - EerieVon

"Megadeth - never topped the cool, raw thrash visceral excitement of Killing is my Business. " - Carcassian

Chosen by:
Bloopy (#1)
Crimsonfloyd (#1)
Cyanide Christ (#1)
Technical Barbarity (#1)
Radical Thrasher (#2)
Talos of Atmora (#2)
Zerostatic (#2)
Baroque (#3)
HamburgerBoy (#4)
Slammed (#4)
Burkhard (#10)
Funerary Doom (#NA)

TOTAL POINTS: 90

Last edited:
3) Bonded by Blood by Exodus
Slicing jaws a way of life, brought up to waste mankind...

"Exodus blows. Bonded by Blood is cool." - CF87

"Bonded by Blood is awesome. It's a shame that nothing else by them even comes close. " - @Omni

"Bonded by Blood gives any early thrash album a run for it's money in rawness and intensity. " - AchrisK

Chosen by:
Zerostatic (#1)

HamburgerBoy (#2)
Atomic Tide (#3)
Alex76 (#3)
Manic Ferocity (#3)
Slammed (#3)
Omni (#4)
rms (#4)
Sirjack (#4)
No Country for Old Wainds (#5)
Cyanide Christ (#7)
Bloopy (#8)
Dazed and Brutal (#8)
Slayed Necros (#8)
Baroque (#NA)
Funerary Doom (#NA)

TOTAL POINTS: 95

Last edited:
2) The Spectre Within by Fates Warning
Tangled in the web of time you've swallowed the pill of illusion...

"Spectre just sounds like Awaken's superior in nearly every way. Awaken has the "advantage" in that it's a little more progressive in the usual sense of the word, songs are longer on average and there's more time-signature changing and whatever, but that's not really a plus for me." - @HamburgerBoy

"the spectre within is so much better than all other power metal that it's just preposterous!" - @no country for old wainds

Chosen by:

Burkhard (#1)
HamburgerBoy (#1)
No Country for Old Wainds (#1)
Omni (#1)
Slayed Necros (#1)
Manic Ferocity (#2)
Phylactery (#2)
Vegard Pompey (#2)
Crimsonfloyd (#3)
rms (#3)
Talos of Atmora (#3)
Alex76 (#7)
Anom@nder Rake (#7)
Serjeant Grumbles (#8)
CIG (#10)
Funerary Doom (#NA)

TOTAL POINTS: 102.5

1) Hell Awaits by Slayer
Burning destroying and killing and bleeding and pleading then death...

"Hell Awaits> every other thrash album" - @mutantllama

Hell Awaits. Beautifully menacing with fantastic riffs and aggressive melodies. " - Ov Wulf

"Hell Awaits kills everything else ever related to Thrash before or after it and is by far the best thing Slayer has ever done" - Skeptik

"listen to at dawn they sleep over and over until you start orgasming and/or die" - @no country for old wainds

"Hell Awaits has insane shit like 'At Dawn They Sleep' which is pretty much some of the best metal ever recorded. Absolutely unrivaled as far as thrash goes.

The only other albums that come anywhere near are None Shall Defy by Infernäl Mäjesty and Rigor Mortis' self-titled. " - @Slayed Necros

"As for thrash, Hell Awaits is far and away my favourite from that genre. I've yet to find another thrash record that creates the psychotic, violent and hellish atmosphere as well as this does." - @Phylactery

Chosen by:
Alex76 (#1)

Anom@nder Rake (#1)
Atomic Tide (#1)
CIG (#1)
Krow (#1)
Manic Ferocity (#1)
Mort Divine (#1)
Phylactery (#1)
Serjeant Grumbles (#1)
Vegard Pompey (#1)
Crimsonfloyd (#2)
Dazed and Brutal (#2)
No Country for Old Wainds (#2)
rms (#2)
Slammed (#2)
Slayed Necros (#2)
Technical Barbarity (#2)
Omi (#3)
Cyanide Christ (#4)
Zerostatic (#4)
HamburgerBoy (#9)
Talos of Atmora (#9)
Bloopy (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 186

Yeah, sorry it took a while! Start of a new school year so it's always a hectic time; getting to know all of your new classes and planning in advance for the term!

A really good top 10 in my opinion! Would have liked to see Destruction place a bit higher personally. I think it's better than Bonded by Blood, which didn't even make my top 10 for example. Would have also liked to see In the Sign of Evil and The Skull break the top 10. But not much to complain about.

Reactions: CiG
4) Killing is My Business... and Business is Good! by Megadeth
I’ll recall my perils they’ll kill me in pride...

"Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good destroys all of the rest of Megadeth's discography." - Skeptik

"Early Megadeth was pretty good.

Killing is my Business...and Business Is Good, and So Far, So Good...So What! being my two favorites. " - @Dazed and Brutal

"I don't know anyone even gives a shit about this band. Nothing they have done is really that great, not even Killing is my Business or Peace Sells. I'd rather listen to early Slayer or Metallica any day." - @Master_Yoda77

"Killing is My Business, their only album without at least one bad song. The three after are all very good but manage to fuck it all up with a dud or two. " - @HamburgerBoy

"RIP had everything-great riffs and memorable solos, better song writing(as opposed to previous lyrical content-like 502, mechanix, and the production was outstanding. The thing that killed KIMB was the production sucked ass, the remaster was better but as far as sound quality it doesnt compare. Everything upto and including Youth was solid " - EerieVon

"Megadeth - never topped the cool, raw thrash visceral excitement of Killing is my Business. " - Carcassian

Chosen by:
Bloopy (#1)
Crimsonfloyd (#1)
Cyanide Christ (#1)
Technical Barbarity (#1)
Radical Thrasher (#2)
Talos of Atmora (#2)
Zerostatic (#2)
HamburgerBoy (#4)
Slammed (#4)
Burkhard (#10)
Funerary Doom (#NA)

TOTAL POINTS: 90

Yo I voted for Megadeth and Exodus too but it’s not listed, were those counted?

See page 2

They were as far as I know. But you had some ranked and some unranked which I forgot to note down when I made the list of who voted for what. Not at my PC now, but I’ll add you in to those tomorrow.

Well I need not have worried, Hell Awaits crushed the competition! Highest score we've had so far and I think the most number of votes.

Ride the Lightning had 201 points from 25 votes. (Hell Awaits is better, though.)

For those who haven't seen it, here is no country's gushing review of Hell Awaits which has been favorited a billion times on RYM.

Reactions: CiG