GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1987

I'm pretty sure you've never trolled me by talking about Heathen. I credit Heathen more than any other band for getting me into searching for metal on the internet and Goblin's Blade will always be one of my favorite songs, but after many years and listens it's just objectively obvious they never approached their influences.

Nope. I put Breaking the Silence in my top 3 thrash albums ever specifically to provoke you and it definitely worked since you brought it up multiple times after that in other topics because you never figured out that I was being facetious.

I just searched and the first time you made a top 3 list containing Breaking the Silence I attacked your inclusion of Slayer instead, so no, it didn't work at all.

EDIT: Oh, in other topics. Didn't really have that much to do with you but with the in-crowd in general, and I substantiated myself when mentioning that Dodens and UltraBoris sucked Heathen's cock too.

1. Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
2. Manowar - Fighting the World
3. Motörhead - Rock 'n' Roll
4. Suicidal Tendencies - Join the Army
5. Anthrax - Among the Living
6. Running Wild - Under Jolly Roger
7. Warlock - Triumph and Agony
8. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I
9. Bad News - Bad News
10. Kreator - Terrible Certainty

HM
Sodom - Persecution Mania
D.R.I. - Crossover
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Sepultura - Schizophrenia
Napalm Death - Scum
Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium

Voivod, Holy Terror, Sacrifice, Holy Moses, Toxik, Nasty Savage, Vendetta, Artillery, etc. all released better albums this year when it comes to thrash. It's not that controversial to leave Heathen out.

I will give you Toxik but I've never been a huge fan of Artillery and I haven't heard any of the others yet tbh

not one submission of Mystification or Refuge Denied!

Manilla Road - Mystification
Artillery - Terror Squad
Heathen - Breaking the Silence
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied
Poison - Into the Abyss
Dark Quarterer - Dark Quarterer
Dream Death - Journey into Mystery
Toxik - World Circus
Morbid Scream - Demo 87
Torr - Witchammer (haven't heard this one before)

Reactions: CiG
not one submission of Mystification or Refuge Denied!

Refuge Denied was kinda neck and neck with Abigail and Under Jolly Roger for me. I ended up going with the other two but if I did it again, it could have just as easily snuck in.

Is Mystification really worthy of being mentioned in such a ridiculous year? I remember liking it but I need to listen to it a few more times apparently because we are on a lot of legendary level stuff this year.

Are you familiar with Into the Abyss, Krow? I consider it legendary level stuff. Way ahead of its time.

And yeah, Mystification is worth investing more time with. One of their best. But I’m also not sure if it’ll make my top 10 when it’s such an amazing year.

I don't really respect INRI/Infernal Majesty/Celtic Frost/Bathory and I remember thinking Abigail was a big step down from Mercyful Fate, so Dane's performance on Refuge Denied is probably better than most releases this year

I don't really respect INRI/Infernal Majesty/Celtic Frost/Bathory

What does this even mean? Does "respect" differ from "enjoy", and are you implying that these four releases from this year have something in common which opposes respect?

respect is more objective than enjoy, for me. and no idea what you're referring to in the second half so guessing you're off base.

don't think those 4 albums/bands approach an objective-greatness-status, not too complex here

Last edited:
respect is more objective than enjoy, for me. and no idea what you're referring to in the second half so guessing you're off base.

don't think those 4 albums/bands approach and objective-greatness-status, not too complex here

What are your criteria for objective greatness? fwiw I have totally different opinions on all four of those albums, which range from love to hate.