GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1996

I'm gonna make old wains job easier cause i've been a prick in the past, and for once put meaningless numbers before my picks

1 - Iniquity - Serenadium
2 - Inverted - The Shadowland
3 - Cryptopsy - None So Vile
4 - Immolation - Here In After
5 - James Murphy - Convergence
6 - Blood Duster - Yeest EP
7 - Nominon - My Flesh demo cassette
8 - Exhumed/Hemdale Split - In The Name of Gore
9 - Tony Macalpine - Violent Machine
10 - Impellitteri - Screaming Symphony

I'm gonna make old wains job easier cause i've been a prick in the past, and for once put meaningless numbers before my picks

1 - Iniquity - Serenadium
2 - Inverted - The Shadowland
3 - Cryptopsy - None So Vile
4 - Immolation - Here In After
5 - James Murphy - Convergence
6 - Blood Duster - Yeest EP
7 - Nominon - My Flesh demo cassette
8 - Exhumed/Hemdale Split - In The Name of Gore
9 - Tony Macalpine - Violent Machine
10 - Impellitteri - Screaming Symphony

James Murphy...my nigga

Reactions: alex76 and Sirjack
That's sad.
Not so much for my wallet, though.;) Seriously, the fact that the number of new metal albums which I really do enjoy has declined drastically since the middle of the nineties might partly be due to a change of my musical preferences (also away from metal), though there are still quite a lot of albums - mostly from the second half of the eighties - I still enjoy listening to. Another reason is probably that as regards subgenres I generally do like (or used to like), when I listen to some new stuff, I mostly get the impression that it's already been done better before and I'm not willing (anymore) to spend my money on albums which will only get a few spins and then never be listened to again (as it did happen in the eighties and also nineties). When I buy an album nowadays, it usually gets a lot of spins, and not just over a period of a couple of weeks or a few months, which might also explain why 3 out of my 4 most-played albums have been released after 2000.

Being a top tier black metal album puts it in the upper echelons of metal by default :p.

I might vote but I feel the HoF has run its course. I mean how many bands are you aiming to have in there? Kinda loses its meaning when it's a list of 200 + bands.
I agree, though HamburgerBoy might venture to contest otherwise. We presently have around 120 inductees. Considering that's out of tens of thousands of metal bands the world round, I'd say it's still proportionate and meaningful.

I think most of my favorite artists are already in the HoF so I don't really care one way or another, but don't let Phylactery of all people dissuade you.

1. Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics
2. Melvins - Stag
3. Christbait - Dirtypunkmutha
4. Sepultura - Roots
5. Cryptopsy - None So Vile
6. Neurosis- Through Silver in Blood
7. Blood Duster - Yeest
8. Slayer - Undisputed Attitude
9. Eyehategod - Dopesick
10. Korn - Life is Peachy

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
This year was actually pretty hard because I actually really like every album in this list but I went by replay value. I like these threads because I end up listening to albums that haven't been spun in quite sometime so it's nice to revisit

1) Type O Negative - October Rust
2) Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood
3) James Murphy - Convergence
4) Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics
5) In Flames - The Jester Race
6) Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
7) Deeds of Flesh - Trading Pieces
8) Cenotaph - Epic Rites: 9 Epic Tales & Death Rites
9) Monstrosity - Millenium
10) Carcass - Swansong

Honorable Mentions:

Opeth - Morningrise
Dying Fetus - Purification through Violence

Reactions: zerostatic
1. Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
2. The Chasm - From the Lost Years
3. Oxiplegatz - Worlds and Worlds
4. Summoning - Dol Guldur
5. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
6. Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
7. Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
8. Dawn - Sorgh på Svarge Vingar Flogh
9. Adramelech - Psychostasia
10. Gorgoroth - Antichrist

Sorry Phylactery, couldn't fit Crimson Relic :( I love everything on this list, such a bonkers year

Last edited: