GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1997

John is super cool. Dude owns a comic store and has the chillest attitude.

I just love how fucking wild Daron is on stage. The new Scars on Broadway is the best btw.
Yeah John is awesome. And yeah that comic book store looks awesome, havent been to vegas in a while but im definitely stopping by the next time i'm there. I'm a huge comic book fan.

Dont like anything ive heard from Scars on Broadway

10) Ink Complete by Spastic Ink
Mosquito Brain Surgery
R-1777024-1285678528.jpeg.jpg

"Spastic Ink - Ink Complete (quality experimental/progressive thrash band)" @Baroque

"I saw Ink Complete as Watchtower album 2.5" @HamburgerBoy

"This is extremely good prog/tech metal. Jason McMaster fits in well on the songs where he does vox and makes me want to explore Watchtower more. I didn't really like Dan Gildenlow on his parts, but maybe he's better in PoS. Pete Perez is a fucking monster on the bass." @The Ozzman

"Yeah, I think Ink Complete is probably better, too. Tbh the samples on Ink Compatible just ruin it for me, although the Blotted Science album and Ron's solo album rank higher with me than either of those."
@optionthree

"Spastic Ink - Ink Complete is awesome@RedinTheSky

Chosen By:
@jimmy101 (#1)
@Baroque (#1)
@Sirjack (#3)
@Terasophe (#9)

TOTAL POINTS: 30

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
*8) Omnio by In the Woods...
There is something inside me dripping ;)
R-379083-1305654776.jpeg.jpg

"In the Woods... really helped expand black metal in Norway during the mid-90's along with Empyrium and Enslaved into more interesting and progressive territories" @unknown

"Omnio is sort of like a less structured Pale Folklore in sound. Much, much less structured though."@MasterOLightning

"Omnio is one of the most (possibly best is the word i'm looking for) structured concept albums i've heard. Pale Folklore is as loose as my grandmother." @hibernal_dream

shout out to their biggest fan @~Neurotica for posting/recommending them at least a hundred times

Chosen By:
@Anom@nder Rake (#1)
@spikes77 (#1)

@Mort Divine (#2)
@Terasophe (#8)

TOTAL POINTS: 32

*8) Mocking the Philanthropist by Grand Belial's Key
As i watch the birthing of the false prophet..
s-l1000.jpg

"Grand Belial's Key- Mocking the Philanthropist. ... This is too awesome."
@dwellerINTHEdark

"Mocking the Philanthropist has too much filler for my taste." @V.V.V.V.V.

"Mocking is my favourite, by far. Kosherat is also a good album. They're definitely not for everyone, though." @Bitencourt29

"Grand Belial's Key-Mocking The Philanthropist is fucking awesome,this is a band that i return to time and time again,their whole catalogue is the epitome of "grower",and this might be my favourite of theirs." @JontRevolting

"Castrate the Redeemer and Mocking the Philanthropist are both decent releases by Grand Belial's Key." @no country for old wainds

Chosen By:
@Slayed Necros (#2)
@Anom@nder Rake (#2)

[B][USER=87571]@Krow
[/B](#2)
@Phylactery (#6)

TOTAL POINTS: 32[/user]

Last edited:
7) Nattens madrigal by Ulver
From the lone withering cold, they feared that the wolf was nigh ...
Ulver-Nattens-Madrigal.jpg

"I love Nattens Madrigal" @Phylactery

"I always thought that the production on Nattens Madrigal was Ulver attempting to get more black metal street cred. I like the album, but it seriously didn't need to be that raw." @WCannibal

"It isn't 'raw' at all." @Mort Divine

"as good as Bergtatt is(really good), i think Nattens madrigal is their best"
@TechnicalBarbarity

"Ulver's Bergtatt is way overrated and Nattens Madrigal is far superior. Like, seriously, Bergtatt is decent black metal and decent folk thrown together that really works only occasionally, whereas Nattens Madrigal is a glorious hatefuck."@The_Batlord

"Looking hipster doesnt even matter. If Nattens Madrigal or Beyond the Wanderin Moon were written by pencil jean dudes with undercuts and blondie shirts I'd still rock that shite at 11." @Yerfdaug

"I used to think Nattens Madrigal was comically over- and under-produced at the same time. But now it just works for me. It's aged really well" @MasterOLightning

Chosen By:
@Serjeant Grumbles (#4)
@spikes77 (#4)
@challenge_everything (#4)
@crimsonfloyd (#6)
@Atomic Tide (#8)
@TechnicalBarbarity (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 34

7) Nattens madrigal by Ulver
From the lone withering cold, they feared that the wolf was nigh ...
Ulver-Nattens-Madrigal.jpg

"I love Nattens Madrigal" @Phylactery

"I always thought that the production on Nattens Madrigal was Ulver attempting to get more black metal street cred. I like the album, but it seriously didn't need to be that raw." @WCannibal

"It isn't 'raw' at all." @Mort Divine

"as good as Bergtatt is(really good), i think Nattens madrigal is their best"
@TechnicalBarbarity

"Ulver's Bergtatt is way overrated and Nattens Madrigal is far superior. Like, seriously, Bergtatt is decent black metal and decent folk thrown together that really works only occasionally, whereas Nattens Madrigal is a glorious hatefuck."@The_Batlord

"Looking hipster doesnt even matter. If Nattens Madrigal or Beyond the Wanderin Moon were written by pencil jean dudes with undercuts and blondie shirts I'd still rock that shite at 11." @Yerfdaug

"I used to think Nattens Madrigal was comically over- and under-produced at the same time. But now it just works for me. It's aged really well" @MasterOLightning

Chosen By:
@Serjeant Grumbles (#4)
@spikes77 (#4)
@challenge_everything (#4)
@crimsonfloyd (#6)
@Atomic Tide (#8)
@TechnicalBarbarity (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 34

injection.gif

6) Songs of Moors and Misty Fields by Empyrium
When the shadows fall and the sun sets in us all ...
Empyrium-Songs-Of-Moors-And-Misty-Fields-40583-1_2.jpg

"songs of moors and misty fields - Probably the closest thing to doom i had listened to at the time. I remember finding the appeal in the melancholy of it all, which soon led me to in the woods...amorphis, and agalloch. Later to other forms of doom." @spikes77

"All of their albums are great, but check out A Wintersunset... and Songs Of Moors & Misty Fields, then if you feel like hearing what Empyrium has to offer from a purely folk perpective (which I suggest you do) check out their last two releases Where At Night The Wood Grouse Plays and Weiland." @Mort Divine

"Songs of Moors and Misty Fields and Where At Night the Wood Grouse Plays are my favorites by them. Great folk/doom. I have a mix by them on my iTunes that I sometimes just let play before I go to sleep." @Einherjar86

" Empyrium... I've only listened to Songs of Moors & Misty Fields. The clean vocals do kill it for me. Blue Mists & Mourners are both decent songs and the harsh vocals are solid." @UltimateApathy

Chosen By:
@dwellerINTHEdark (#1)
@Serjeant Grumbles (#1)
@spikes77 (#3)
@Mort Divine (#3)

TOTAL POINTS: 36

5) Come My Fanatics... by Electric Wizard
A Wizard in black reveals the sign...
R-2442337-1415127304-8484.jpeg.jpg

"there really is no comparison to any of their material to their self titled, shit is easily their best with Come My Fanatics a close second."
@KafkaX

"Electric Wizard - Wizard in Black 8/10 - God damn I still fucking love Come My Fanatics! This makes me want to eat pussy." @CiG

"The only thing that bothers me about the wiz is about once per album they have one extremely long instrumental that's usually fucking noises and static. I like the gigantic heavyiness of dopethrone and come my fanatics. I really don't think many bands do exactly what they do either but whatever."
@Krow

"Come My Fanatics is heavier than most trad doom" @Baroque

"Come my Fanatics>Dopethrone" @mutantllama

Chosen By:
@Baroque (#2)
@Bloopy (#3)
@Terasophe (#4)

@TechnicalBarbarity (#5)
@zabu of nΩd (#6)
@zerostatic (#9)

TOTAL POINTS: 37