GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1997

Don't see much wrong with the list so far, and don't know why you lot are complaining.

Come my Fanatics is much better and also way heavier than Dopethrone. And even though I'm not entirely into it, it probably deserves its place on the list.

I know it didn't make my list in the end, but I am glad Nattens Madrigal made the top 10 as well. First 4 tracks especially rule. Seems to get a lot of underserved hate due to things not pertaining to the music.

It's because of omnis alts that some of the lists look like this tbh
*fixd4u

Don't see much wrong with the list so far, and don't know why you lot are complaining.

Come my Fanatics is much better and also way heavier than Dopethrone. And even though I'm not entirely into it, it probably deserves its place on the list.
The "complaining" about this list has to do with all the shitty black metal that has made it, not Electric Wizard.

also lmao @ Come My Fanatics being "way heavier" than Dopethrone, you should stick to mimicking Wainds and Slayed's taste in black metal.

Last edited:
4) Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor
Emperium, behold my coming...
R-5679595-1423514489-5028.jpeg.jpg

"Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk is by far the best symphonic black metal." @crimsonfloyd

"I blindly purchased Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and thought it was some of the worst go nowhere grating annoying shit music have ever heard. Add the fact the music is devoid of any type of rythmn/flow. It's really a mess. @CF87

"I'd say I probably like second one "Anthems to the welkin at dusk" more because the symphonic effects seem to be more audible and more refined. The overall sound quality of the album seems superior too (vocals seemed too dominant in the first album to my ear), and there is more use of melodic vocals which gives it more variety. The melodic part that starts at around 3:50 sends chills of pleasure down my spine:" @UltimateApathy

"Symphonics can be amazing when done right i.e. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. It can create way more depth and a wider spectrum than traditional rock instruments can by themselves."
@crimsonfloyd

"I was about 14 or 15. I remember hearing "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" and it blew my mind. Still love that album."
@matt schrauben

Chosen By:
@crimsonfloyd (#1)
@challenge_everything (#1)
@Allfader (#4)
@Serjeant Grumbles (#4)
@zabu of nΩd (#5)
@Dak (#9)
@jimmy101 (#10)

TOTAL POINTS: 42

Reactions: Serjeant Grumbles
i once listened to it while sitting under a palm tree on the beach in crete, struggling to fully hear it over the sound of the cicadas, and the association has never left me. i'm sure that's the listening environment emperor had in mind when they wrote the album.

3) Cryptic Writings by Megadeth
I've seen them crawl from the cradle to the gutter on their hands...
1053.jpg

"Cryptic Writings is Megadeth's greatest album." @zabu of nΩd

"Cryptic Writings and Endgame are my favorite albums by them after Rust In Peace" @Baroque

"I love Cryptic Writings, i think it's better than everything they've done since."
@TechnicalBarbarity

"Megadeth's Cryptic Writings is infinitely better than everything they did after." @HamburgerBoy

"Anyone should feel like an ass for not owning Cryptic Writings and The System Has Failed. Those albums are phenomenal. " @The Ozzman

"Cryptic Writings has a fair share of thrash scattered all throughout. But yes FFF and The Disintegrators are the two "thrashiest" tracks. Pretty good album" @TechnicalBarbarity

Chosen By:
@TechnicalBarbarity (#1)
@zabu of nΩd (#1)
@Baroque (#3)
@HamburgerBoy (#5)
@Slammed (#7)
@Bloopy (#8)
@zerostatic (#8)

TOTAL POINTS: 44

2) Beyond the Wandering Moon by Aeternus
To the gate they go to defend the castle of ice...
MI0001660222.jpg

"I think Aeternus is just ok " @dwellerINTHEdark

"This album is so fucking good. There really isn't anything else that sounds quite like it. I think I do like the follow up maybe just a bit more, not that it's a competition; they are both fantastic albums"
@Yerfdaug

"Beyond the Wandering Moon is phenomenal and ...and So the Night Became is great too but I'm not as familiar with it. Idk their other albums" @paul545

Chosen By:
@Slayed Necros (#1)
@Phylactery (#1)
@Atomic Tide (#2)
@challenge_everything (#2)
@no country for old wainds (#3)
@Anom@nder Rake (#4)
@Mort Divine (#5)

TOTAL POINTS: 59

1) Unchain the Wolves by Deströyer 666
The Vultures flew high that night ...
R-368947-1182426100.jpeg.jpg

"Unchain the Wolves is easily the best D666 album imo it's so fucking epic! But I like everything they've done." @Vilden

"Unchain the Wolves is the only Destroyer release I can still deal with these days"
@rms

"D666 have a very impressive discography but 'Unchain The Wolves' will always be their best."
@JontRevolting

"Cold Steel..is better than Unchain The Wolves." @audiophileguy

Chosen By:
@zerostatic (#1)
@Krow (#1)
@Anom@nder Rake (#3)
@TechnicalBarbarity (#4)
@Phylactery (#5)
@Atomic Tide (#6)
@Dazed and Brutal (#6)
@Mort Divine (#7)
@challenge_everything (#8)