GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1997

lby8Bk7.jpg

Reactions: Dak
Everyone has a choice. Some people don't like to make others feel uncomfortable with what they do, others don't have a problem giving it their all no matter who is watching.

Wow, I didn't even see that you had chosen this. Surprising but certainly not unwelcome.

New discovery for me, only listened to it twice (it's also quite long) but I felt an instant affinity for it. Pretty sure I discovered it via HBB. The tech/prog bug has bitten me very hard lately.

1. Spastic Ink - Ink Complete
2. Garden Wall - Chimica
3. Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
4. Days of Yore - The Mad God's Wage
5. Theory in Practice - Third Eye Function
6. Cauldron Born - Born of the Cauldron
7. Bruce Dickinson - Accident at Birth
8. Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
9. Algophobia - s/t

Have yet to decide on an album for 10.

Not especially, Ink Compatible sounds closer to a proper Watchtower follow-up while most other Jarzombek stuff just gets kinda samey to me.

1) Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
2) Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
3) Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
4) Lord Belial - Enter the Moonlight Gate
5) Sadistic Intent - Ancient Black Earth
6) Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves
7) Gorgoroth - Under the Sigh of Hell
8) Ulver - Nattens madrigal: Aatte hymne til ulven i manden
9) Windir - Sóknardalr
10) Voivod - Phobos

Big fan of all of your 2 - 8 picks! Glad to see Nattens Madrigal making a list. I’m not sure it’ll make my top 10, but it’s definitely at least an honourable mention. I love the first 4 tracks. Second track probably my favourite these days, it’s just so intense, especially the last minute or so with that riff repeatedly hammering away.

Never heard that Bruce album.

Reactions: Atomic Tide
I prefer the first Ulver album, but Nattens… is def great. As far as the Bruce album, I prefer Chemical Wedding over Accident..., but that initial reunion of Bruce and Adrian is absolutely epic, imo. I saw that tour in a tiny club in Springfield Virginia with Geezer Butler's solo band opening. It was fucking fantastic!!