GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2009

I consider Engram to be Beherit's best work, but definitely not the best black metal of the century. I was surprised to see it on Sirjack's list as he's typically not much of a black metal fan from what I've seen in the Mixtape game.

i'd prefer to treat the bottom 9 as unordered if your ordering is just completely arbitrary, but 'sup to you.

The top two are sealed. It'd be the next 8 that would be unordered.

noted. you should check out the goreaphobia album (MORTAL REPULSION) if you haven't btw. better than a lot of the more hyped DM from this year IMO

I like it a lot, not sure if it's gonna make my top 10 yet, but Kongh - Shadows of the Shapeless released the same year is superior.

1) Slugathor - Echoes From Beneath (perhaps my favorite album of the decade)
2) Kongh - Shadows of the Shapeless
3) Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
4) Grave Miasma - Exalted Emanation
5) Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm
6) Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity
7) Evile - Infected Nations
8) Excoriate - On Pestilent Winds
9) Vektor - Black Future
10) Cobalt - Gin

HM: Blut Aus Nord / Immortal / Kreator / Animals As Leaders / Griftegård / Beherit / Archgoat

Very good year, tough one to rate. I'm excited to see the top 10. Sad to see no love for Slugathor, but after so many of these polls I've come to accept that my taste is probably shit.

Reactions: Phylactery
1) Slugathor - Echoes From Beneath (perhaps my favorite album of the decade)
2) Kongh - Shadows of the Shapeless
3) Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
4) Grave Miasma - Exalted Emanation
5) Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm
6) Dying Fetus - Descend Into Depravity
7) Evile - Infected Nations
8) Excoriate - On Pestilent Winds
9) Vektor - Black Future
10) Cobalt - Gin

HM: Blut Aus Nord / Immortal / Kreator / Animals As Leaders / Griftegård / Beherit / Archgoat

Very good year, tough one to rate. I'm excited to see the top 10. Sad to see no love for Slugathor, but after so many of these polls I've come to accept that my taste is probably shit.

Slugathor made my honourable mentions. I think I prefer Circle of Death to that one. I've never listened to that Weapon album, but I really like the title track from their following release.

The Chasm didn't even make your honourable mentions :(

lol someone on the 'Everything Thrash Metal' Facebook page's response when asked about Vektor. He said that all thrash post 1992 sucks ass:

"Vektor is Voivod for hipsters"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's hilarious!

Chuck Schuldiner had his moments; the first two albums deserve their classic status, and there's no denying he not only pioneered death metal but even had his own identifiable/distinctive style irrespective of the genre he happened to be playing. That doesn't change the fact that he tended to repeat very mild variations on the same couple riffs and scales over and over again. He was basically a sort of death metal Steve Harris, a reliable workhorse that needed other creative input to really flesh out his sound, but with the ego/stubbornness of a Mustaine or Schaefer which meant the talent he had in his band was largely wasted.

King's X was a far more dynamic band on a song-by-song basis than Chuck & Friends, at least for their first six albums, even despite a lot of their material being rooted in blues rock.