4) Nile - Vile Nilotic Rites
5) King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rat's Nest
6) Mortiferum - Disgorged from Psychotic Depths
7) Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
8) Krypts - Cadaver Circulation
9) Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance
10) Vastum - Orificial Purge

HM: Superstition / Coffins / Fetid

Very good year for death metal - but I have a strong feeling this list could change drastically after 1-2 years. Feels too early to be ranking it.

Nasheim - Jord Och aska
Misthyrming - Algleymi
Smoulder - Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
Orodruin - Ruins of Eternity
Daupuz - Monvmentvm
Midnight Dice - Midnight Dice
Obsequiae - The Palms of Sorrowed Kings

Rough draft, updated 3/29. Still might update one more time before this closes out.

1. Deathspell Omega- Furnaces of Palingenesia
2. Funereal Presence- Achatius
3. Gloryhammer- Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex
4. Serpent Column- Mirror Vortex
5. Blut Aus Nord- Hallucinogen
6. Beast in Black- From Hell With Love
7. Tomb Mold- Planetary Clairvoyance
8. Blood Incantation- Hidden History of the Human Race
9. .Batushka - Panihida
10. Mgla- Age of Excuse

Honorable Mentions:
Galnaryus- Into the Purgatory
Obsequiae- The Palms of Sorrowed Kings
Vehemence- Par Le Sang Verse
Slough Feg- New Organon
Misþyrming - Algleymi
Great Old Ones- Cosmicism

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Holy fuck had no idea The Disease Concept had a new album out, loved Your Destroyer.
Did Blurry come up with the title for the third song?

Reactions: CiG
When is this wrapping up? Also, I just realized we only have the 2010's left. 80's, 90's, and 00's are all done ugh..

April 1st.
tenor.gif

My bad, forgot to post in here what I said in the black metal thread:
Ugh, I'll have to add it to the list. That being said, I may request a one week extension on the 2019 rankings.
At this point I'm just going to let the game run on, what with everything that's going on there's no rush and it would be bizarre to expect people to even care about the game at a time like this. So consider the game open-ended right now.

All good, not like we can't find some listening pursuit or other while spending extra time inside. Eg. get some of our lists for years in the 2010s ready to go.

1. Funereal Presence - Achatius
2. Deus Mortem - Kosmocide
3. Mgla - Age of Excuse
4. Diabolic Night - Beyond the Realm
5. Vargrav - Reign in Supreme Darkness
6. Devil Master - Satan Spits on Children of Light
7. Blut Aus Nord - Hallucinogen
8. Sorathian Dawn - Sun of the Deep
9. Belenos - Argoat
10. Disillusion - The Liberation

Weird year when a fucking black'n'roll album makes my list. Most of the hyped BM albums haven't grabbed me much other than Funereal Presence which towers above everything else. Vargrav is growing on me and Deus Mortem is one that doesn't get mentioned enough. Hallucinogen is the best thing BAN have done since TWWTG, which probably isn't saying all that much but it's very solid.

Not sure if you're into this type of black metal, but have you heard this?

But yeah I agree Achatius is the best black metal album this year. Unless you count Emberdawn, which was my number 1 pick, but that's more of a black/death album imo.

Last edited:
Achatius is one of the best black metal albums of the past decade imo. So yeah I'd take it over the new DsO, which I'm not really big on as of yet.

I don't see why you wouldn't like it. It hearkens back to the blackened speed/thrash metal of the 80s. Especially in terms of production and some of the riffcraft. But it's not a derivative album. Only 4 tracks, but each one is over 10 minutes. It's quite progressive and adventurous in nature and there's a lot of attention to detail. It's a project of the drummer from Negative Plane if you didn't know.