GMD Poll: Top Ten Films of 2023

Should we include miniseries/single season shows in the lists?

• Total voters

CiG

Dimension Hatröss
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
2023.jpg
RYM film chart
IMDB film chart

Figured we're halfway through 2024 so enough time has passed for us to start this one. If it doesn't die in the crib, maybe I'll eventually go back and do threads for 2021 and 2022. Also I'm considering allowing TV shows to be included here, but only if it's a miniseries/single season series as those aren't that different to a film with a clearly defined narrative start and end (eg Midnight Mass from 2021). At the very least this might widen the participation in these threads.

That aside, even if you don't plan to submit a list (fuck you) I encourage you to share your thoughts about things from 2023 that you're watching now, so others can get recommendations or just take pleasure in reading your insightful commentary. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not sure about a deadline. Let's just say you have until the end of the year? Also Top 5 lists are welcome, we are not size queens here.

Rules:
- Submit at least 5 titles.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etc etc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

Now if he was dressed like that in Fall Guy he could have saved the movie.

• Haha
Reactions: CiG
i dunno if i'll manage this even by the end of the year as i've recently started with 2020 and i'm progressing from there (and my watchlist is huge), but i'll be reading any lists here with interest (making my watchlist even huger probably) and will definitely post my own eventually. in fact i GUARANTEE a full ranking of every 2023 movie i see with some words on each.

This is going to be a hard one to rate. Looking at both lists in the OP I've seen 4, maybe 5 of the movies listed.
There is one more Aussie movie that I didn't see listed there which isn't released on bluray for a month or two which would definitely take my total to 5 when I watch it.

the Emu War
I don't expect much from it but for some reason I still want to see it.

• Haha
White Men Can't Jump remake for #1
I haven't seen it but surely it has to be amazing given the original.

• Haha
the Emu War
I don't expect much from it but for some reason I still want to see it.
I was looking forward to that one until I saw the $20 budget CGI job they did lmao. The Emu War is just screaming for a Black Sheep-esque adaption with goofy practical effects etc.

Reactions: Slammed
I got a random 2023 recommendation for people into weird shit; The Invisible Fight.

MV5BZmMwZjllODItMDA0ZS00ZTE2LWEzYzMtYTBhZmMwODVmODBjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUyNTEwNDMy._V1_.jpg

A guard on the Soviet-Chinese border is the sole survivor of a gang attack by Chinese kung fu hippies (blasting Sabbath from their boombox) and becomes obsessed with learning to fight. He ends up at an Orthodox Christian monastery and becomes a monk, where he's taught their brand of kung fu. Oh yeah and "The Wizard" by Sabbath plays a billion times throughout the movie.

MV5BNzliZjA5ZGItODAwZi00Y2JlLWE0MDktNTc4NGNiYzgwNWVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ5Mzc5MDU@._V1_.jpg
wegfwedfwddd.jpg
gwsg.jpg
The-Invisible-Fight-by-Rainer-Sarnet_cHomeless-Bob-Production4-scaled.jpg
g3wgg34rg.jpg

It's hard to do it justice with words, but imagine if you mixed the wirework of Crouching Tiger with the comedy of Black Dynamite, but then added the more genuine philosophical elements of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and gave it an overall 1970's Estonian/USSR aesthetic. It feels just as earnest as it is goofy.

Watched The Promised Land last night and really liked it. Would've gave it a 9/10 but i think the film should've been a little longer so they could've properly closed it. Felt a little rushed towards the end.

Last edited:
Just watched Mob Land...
MV5BN2U5NzUxZWMtZWMzMi00MGNlLThlMmItMmFkMTgyODNjNmZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE2MzI5ODM@._V1_.jpg

Fuckin badass. @CiG @RadicalThrasher you guys gotta check this one out.