GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 2001

Which decade should the next game's year be in?

• 1950 to 1959

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1960 to 1969

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 1970 to 1979

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 1980 to 1989

• 1990 to 1999

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 2000 to 2009

• 2010 to 2019

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This and 1999 are my favorite movie years.
  1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  2. Waking Life
  3. Mulholland Drive
  4. Spirited Away
  5. Donnie Darko
  6. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  7. Amelie
  8. The Royal Tenenbaums
  9. Moulin Rouge!
  10. Blow

Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
I was going to write explanations for these but I got lazy and don't really feel that inspired at the moment. Might edit at a later date. Might not. Time will tell.

1. Mulhulland Drive (David Lynch)
2. Visitor Q (Takashi Miike)
3. Bad Guy (Kim Ki-duk)
4. Ichi the Killer (Takashi Miike)
5. Sleepless (Dario Argento)
6. The Happiness of the Katakuris (Takashi Miike)
7. Exposure (David Blyth)
8. Vampire Junction (Jess Franco)
9. Bully (Larry Clark)
10. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Kevin Smith)

HM:

The Piano Teacher
Trouble Every Day
Hannibal
Dagon
Freddy Got Fingered
Wendigo

Exceptional year. Mulholland Drive at number 1 really needs no explanation. Lost Highway might be my personal favorite movie of all time but there's a strong case to be made for Mulholland Drive being Lynch's magnum opus. Utterly flawless in virtually every department. Also a great year for Asian cinema with Miike delivering not one, not two but three quality pieces of work and Kim triggering the fuck out of everyone with Bad Guy. Amazing to think it'd be even more controversial now. Kim getting MeToo'd not to long ago doesn't help, either. Still totally unsubstantiated, by the way.

Last edited:
So many in yours I want to see, like Bad Guy, Visitor Q, The Happiness of the Katakuris and Bully.
Visitor Q and Katakuris makes for a curious double feature. One thing that always amazes me about certain Japanese movies is their ability to be perverse and poignant at the same time. Miike is especially adept at this. Hilariously wrong as Visitor Q is at times, it's really about a broken family unit coming together. Katakuris is just as frivolous albeit far less gross but again, the family element of the story is so earnest it still manages to work amongst the asinine musical numbers, zombies and claymation bits.

1. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
2. Elling
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
4. Small Time Crooks
5. Monsters, Inc.

Reactions: CiG