GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1986

Yeah, sorry but I'm the same. I was born in '86, but it's not my favorite year for music. Peter Gabriel's So came out, which is one of my favorite records; but other than that, not much that I really listen to...

Top Ten
  1. Siekiera - Nowa Aleksandria
  2. Christian Death - Atrocities
  3. Coil - Horse Rotorvator
  4. Samhain - November-Coming-Fire
  5. Sonic Youth- EVOL
  6. Swans - Greed
  7. Swans - Holy Money
  8. Shub-Niggurath - Les morts vont vite
  9. Clan of Xymox - Medusa
  10. The Mission -Gods Own Medicine
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/siekiera
Honourable Mention
  • Siouxsie and the Banshees - Tinderbox
  • Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
  • Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Your Funeral ... My Trial
  • Killing Joke - Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Now if I could only get an actual finalized list from HamberderBoy unlike last time...

Last edited:
1. Shub-Niggurath - Les morts vont vite
2. Dag Nasty - Can I Say
3. Aburadako - Aburadako (aka Ao-ban)
4. Papaya Paranoia - War War War
5. Thinking Plague - Moonsongs
6. NoMeansNo - Sex Mad
7. Controlled Bleeding - Headcrack
8. Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
9. Cameo - Word Up!
10. Scratch Acid - Just Keep Eating

Reactions: CiG
#8 Christian Death - Atrocities
(14.5 Points)

christian_death.jpg
Genre(s):
Deathrock, Gothic Rock

While Valor Kand eventually made a complete mockery of the band, I honestly think Atrocities and The Wind Kissed Pictures are both very worthwhile and I like them better than Only Theatre, though that obviously was a far more influential album.

Those who voted:
@Krow N/A
@Serjeant Grumbles #2

#7 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Your Funeral... My Trial
(15.5 Points)

Your-Funeral…-My-Trial1.jpg
Genre(s):
Post-Punk, Gothic Rock

Dark Cabaret, Punk Blues, Blues, Singer/Songwriter

yeah, i'm a big (huge) nick cave fan, and that goes for all of the family of bands/artists that have played with him over the years. barry adamson was quite an influence on me as a bass player actually.

and oh, you must must MUST get some older albums! especially the first 3 (from her to eternity, firstborn is dead, your funeral my trial), which featured Barry on bass and a much more significant contribution from Blixa (on guitar). even his early 90s albums are fanfuckingtastic. if you've not heard his early work, you'll be astonished by how different (and ultimately how much better) it is from what he's done for the last decade

Those who voted:
@Krow N/A
@dwellerINTHEdark #1

#5 Sonic Youth - EVOL
(16 Points)

Sonic_Youth_Evol_1024x1024.jpg
Genre(s):
Noise Rock, Experimental Rock

No Wave, Post-Punk

Another Sonic Youthfan here! But I´m more into their earlier stuff. Goo was the last album I bought. Unfortunately I somehow lost interest when they became more known in the early 90´s.( because of Nirvansa and Mudhoney)
Saw them at the Roskilde festival´87 and back then they had a sensational "unlistenabable" sound. Lovely katharsis for your ears!
That band will always occur on my list of longtimefavourites.
D'oh!

I love the shit out of Sonic Youth. Oh well, everyone can't like the same stuff. :)
I burn out too easily on music and when I'm burnt and can't get away from it, it eventually ends up on my shit list. That's why Sonic Youth was there too. Just burnt...
I used to resent alternative or indie rock so much, and now I really like it. Especially The Strokes, first Arctic Monkeys release, Pixies, Arcade Fire, Sonic Youth etc.

Those who voted:
@Terasophe #5
@jimmy101 #7
@Serjeant Grumbles #5

Reactions: jimmy101
Nice work Sarge! Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this unfolds.

Definitely love Sonic Youth's earlier output more than their latter-era stuff. Everything up to Daydream Nation is outstanding. Although, funnily enough, my favourite album of theirs may very well be Washing Machine.

Washing Machine is a treasure. Its a pretty unique listen. My Canasian buddy is a huge SY fan and sent me that release.

He still claims Daydream to be his favorite, but we talk more about Bad Moon Rising the most.

Reactions: jimmy101
#4 Dag Nasty - Can I Say
(19 Points)

dag_nasty.jpg
Genre(s):
Melodic Hardcore, Emocore

Post-Hardcore

I'm still loving Dag Nasty & Bad Religion, and I've always been a huge Social D fan.
This is pretty cool. I found the vocal performance to be pretty convincing and the guitar sound was quite cool.
first-wave emo is some of the best stuff
hell yeah. never heard this before, but anything hardcore-related with tension and melody is totally my bag, and i can relate to the sentiment. chorus could be better perhaps, but a real nice pick. for lack of a better comparison right now, has a bit of a hot snakes vibe.
Gay. I always liked the name but the music sucks.

Those who voted:
@HamburgerBoy #2
@CiG #1

Yeah, Washing Machine is a really special album for me. One of the first SY albums I ever listened to. Conjures a lot of memories & emotions for me. I also consider it to be probably their most consistent release.

#3 Swans - Holy Money
(21 Points)

swans_holy_money.jpg
Genre(s):
Noise Rock, No Wave

Industrial, Industrial Rock

Cop is my least favorite of the first four tbh, although I still like it. Holy Money is my favorite, probably their most diverse without deviating from their core sound as would happen on Children of God.
MOST DEPRESSING SOUNDS EVER SET TO TAPE:

'Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money' by the Swans, a collection of their first few years (84-86) worth of material. For those who don't know (you're gay!), the Swans were the most cold, hateful, bleak, murderous and suicidal band ever to press vinyl. 'The sound of being raped and beaten in a NY back alley', they were described as.

Those who voted:
@Terasophe #3
@crimsonfloyd #2
@Serjeant Grumbles #7

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
#2 Samhain - III: November-Coming Fire
(23.5 Points)

samhain.png
Genre(s):
Deathrock, Horror Punk

Gothic Rock

Samhain all of thier material was good to me i can't believe how many
black metal musicians think of this band as an inspiration ask Marduk.
Danzig sucked ever since he left the Misfits.
Samhain is great.
Samhain's November Coming Fire. Hell, the entire Samhain catalog has a rather Halloweenish feel.
agreed. Samhain released some quality stuff, like initium and november coming fire.

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #6
@Krow N/A
@jimmy101 #5
@Serjeant Grumbles #4

Reactions: CiG