Godheads Lament - Now and then.

TommyPickles

Jun 11, 2008
California
In case you're unaware, they have put this song back into the set list. I am overjoyed. You should be too. It's a fantastic song. I wish they would have played it earlier this year :erk: But now I get to be hopeful for 09.

Anyway, after listening to and collecting every bootleg of this song I could possible find over the years, and hearing the song live at Gigantour (I :cry: it was so good); I must say that this song sounds as good as I've ever heard it with the newer line-up. I'm admittedly in the somewhat unpopular nowadays "Lopez is god, that was the best era" crowd. Until recently, I have never been so blown away by Axe's renditions of what I consider one of Lopez' more "Lopez-y" songs.

Aside from Axe being spot on, Per and Fred do the harmony vocals at the end. Per didn't use to bother on that part. Now, it's infinitely better.

In short - Godheads Lament is already a fuckin' great song. Now it's even better.

The end.

It might not be Opeth's best, but it's a great song. I saw it live this tuesday. I think the clean vocals have really improved now, I'm not that fond of the clean vocals on Still Life. Axe aced it, and Fredrik's playing was clean and accurate. I think you could say it's better now than it was before (although I have never seen it live with Lopez on the drums).

Godhead's Lament was what really kicked off Still Life for me. Never been a big fan of the Moor. Anyway, I'd love to see Opeth play still life in its entirety. Greatest album they've released, in my opinion.

Godhead's Lament is amazing live now, definitely. I was so suprised when they started playing it, best moment of the night for me.

At the recent London gig, "Godheads Lament" absolutely crushed. Axe nailed it, and the vocals were very strong throughout. Best version I've personally heard.

so can we all just come to an agreement that while previous versions of opeth have been outstanding, this is the best and tightest live lineup we've seen?

Hmm, I'm not sure.. His style is different, but I can't say which drummer I like more in this song. Fredrik plays way tighter than Peter though, it sounds like Peter misses lots of notes in the intro of this video.

In the newer vids/bootlegs, Fred messes up a lot more than Peter.

There is no comparison between the two when it comes to rhythm IMO. Peter is much more natural.

I'd say it's a pretty average Opeth song, the "what would they say" part is awesome but then nearly every Opeth song has one awesome part. I don't get how everyone rates it as Opeth's best.