Going to Greece in a couple weeks.

Reminiscence

Oblique and Nebulous
Nov 1, 2005
Lakewood, CO
Has anyone been before? I've got quite a few places already in mind to visit but new suggestions are welcome. Also, what the best food, beer, etc. to sample while on the road would be good suggestions. Destinations so far: Athens, Korinthos, Olympia, Patras, Mt. Olympus, Meteora, and Thessaloniki (or however it's called).

Hey!
When will you be there? I'm planning on going there in few weeks as well!
Been to Greece many times before. From my parents's place in Israel, it takes 4 hours by boat to get to Greece :D
(But most likely I will fly with my sister in law for a little get away)

The beaches will be FULL of Bree'EEsh (That's British) people and topless hotties just so you know ;)

Best food? ANYTHING greek that is not commercial. Stay away from Gyros in the street, unless you see a big line of people.. some of those can be nasty
and ruin your trip with puking... hehe
Try the local Shwarma, and the "greek breakfast style" food.
Tones of veggies and cheese... YUM!

I don't really know about the beer.. nothing that I tried there was "amazing" but the wine is GREAT!

Have fun! Greece is a great summer-vacation.

Well I'm from Greece and I'm sick of it :p ... and if you ever come to Thessaloniki :p ill treat u a beer :p

Mythos is a reasonably priced Greek lager. Be sure to venture out of Attica. The Peloponnese presents one with a huge array of interesting sites. Athens can be crowded, noisy and horrible - nevermind the officious assistants at every site.

Sparta is not worth visiting, unless you really need to go. A statue of Leonidas at Thermopylae is worth visiting though.

Mythos is a reasonably priced Greek lager. Be sure to venture out of Attica. The Peloponnese presents one with a huge array of interesting sites. Athens can be crowded, noisy and horrible - nevermind the officious assistants at every site.

Sparta is not worth visiting, unless you really need to go. A statue of Leonidas at Thermopylae is worth visiting though.

People that live in Athens are fags ... they were always fags :p and about the Mythos lager :p sucks worst beer ever :p

People that live in Athens are fags ... they were always fags :p and about the Mythos lager :p sucks worst beer ever :p
you make lotsa sense. yes, your town is more decent, though Greece in general is a bad infection on the skin of contemporaneous Europe. Athens is overcrowded, what can you do.

if you didn't hear that yet, you'll see tons of garbage on the streets, zillions of dead dogs and cats on the roads, you can't (meh) throw toilet paper into the toilet... right... be prepared for dirty toilets (any public place) with garbage cans full of crapped paper inside.

otherwise, you'll love all food. don't overdo it with tzatziki sauce although it's amazing with any grilled meat, cuz you'll get terrible diarrhea (ahem...)
otherwise of drinks obligatory try Ouzo (those who don't like it, hate it. I personally adore it.) beers I normally don't drink, but I don't think Mythos is that bad...

@derek: gotta cool picture of meself standing under Leonidas' uh.. you know... :p

The thing u said about the ouzo its true :p ... i hate it but if u put a little lemonade in it i love it :p

greece rules. i went for a week to athens to catch nevermore a couple years ago...had a blast!

went to hydra - small island about two hours off the coast of athens - for the day.....unbelievable place.

do as much as u can....beautiful place, although athens is a shithole!!!! haha.

Hey!
When will you be there? I'm planning on going there in few weeks as well!
Been to Greece many times before. From my parents's place in Israel, it takes 4 hours by boat to get to Greece :D
(But most likely I will fly with my sister in law for a little get away)

The beaches will be FULL of Bree'EEsh (That's British) people and topless hotties just so you know ;)

Best food? ANYTHING greek that is not commercial. Stay away from Gyros in the street, unless you see a big line of people.. some of those can be nasty
and ruin your trip with puking... hehe
Try the local Shwarma, and the "greek breakfast style" food.
Tones of veggies and cheese... YUM!

I don't really know about the beer.. nothing that I tried there was "amazing" but the wine is GREAT!

Have fun! Greece is a great summer-vacation.

I'm be there from the 14th to the 22nd I think. I don't plan on staying in Athens long at all, probably just the night my flight leaves back to Germany. I wanted to go to Sparta at first because there's a huge mountain next to it, but trains don't even run to that town so I won't be going down that far.

I wasn't aware of the amount of filth there but hopefully I won't have to use toilets at all. I plan on sleeping outside most nights, practically all as a matter of fact because I don't have much money at all to waste on this trip on hostels. Visiting places and food will probably be my only expenses. I also have an 8 day pass to use any trains in Greece, it costed only €90.

Hmm, well I don't have much more to say at this point. I still don't have a solid itinerary so meeting people if they're there would be fine! The recommendations so far have been to my approval. :)